No announcement yet.

Science Fiction (and the like) Conventions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahaha. Kathy, isn't it 18 years now we've been waiting for The Door Into Starlight?
    Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

World Fantasy 2011

Why I wasn't around at the end of October...

The "Not-So-Fair Folk" panel.
      L to R: Delia Sherman, Mercedes Yardley, Jenny Blackford, Patrick Rothfuss, Holly Black (M)

In which a great deal was posited about what fairies represent and why they are the way they are in modern fantasy novels.

The "In Memoriam: Diana Wynne Jones" panel
      L to R. Neil Gaiman, Gili Bar-Hillel (M), Sharyn November, Jo Fletcher.

In which Neil and Jo reminisced about the very first convention DWJ attended, how her smoking wasn't the cause of the cancer that killed her (Neil said something along the lines of "Let's put it this way: the lung cancer didn't hurt, given everything else that was going on."), how VERY much she enjoyed a cigarette--Sharyn November [DWJ's US editor] talked about hating talking to DWJ on the phone, because she's also a smoker and she'd be in the office where she couldn't smoke, and then would hear Diana lighting up on the other end of the line--with her Howl's Moving Castle lighter)--and at which we all found out about the reissue of DWJ's books that are coming out next year with forewords by other writers.

The Toastmaster/GoH panel.
      L to R: Connie Willis (toastmaster), Neil Gaiman (GoH).
      In which we just sat, laughed, and enjoyed the hell out of them enjoying each other.

A perfectly lovely time was had by all.
      Last edited by Kathy Li; November 10, 2011, 11:13:29 PM.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Youtube is your SDCC2015 DVR...

For the multitudes of you who couldn't make it, and for me, who was there, but still couldn't get in the room, I dig up the following Youtube bit.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens panel:

There's also a motherlode of other panels, including the Mockingjay 2, Sherlock, and Doctor Who, by the folks who posted this one, so be sure and look under their Videos link on Youtube. Also, while you're not allowed to tape the previews and special trailers they show on the screens at Comic-con presentations, a lot of them get released onto the interwebz immediately after the panel, so you can find both of the clips from the Sherlock panel on the PBS website.

Another source of SDCC-ish material is NerdHQ's youtube channel. These guys do an off-site thing similar to comic-con panels, but you pay $20 a ticket, and the money goes to charity.

Just because you can't make it to SDCC doesn't mean you can't take part in the fun.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
        X