Science Fiction (and the like) Conventions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Fiction (and the like) Conventions

Ok, I'm likely to be talking only to myself, here, since to attend a science fiction con(vention), you probably need to be able to get a hotel room and drive and or fly by yourself and most of you may be too young to have your own credit card with which to do these things and you may be unlikely to have parents who do the con thang and will cart you along, but I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you've never been to a science fiction convention, it's basically like a huge fan club getting together and shooting the breeze for half a week. Which convention you attend and where it's held (and by whom) will generally determine the character of the convention. There are cons for LotR, Anime, Gaming, Discworld, Horror, Fantasy, Monster Movies, Old-Time Radio, etc. etc. The Locus listing is a fun place to start if you're looking for a con in your area.

I'm going to be attending two different science fiction conventions here in Southern California: the San Diego Comic-Con and Worldcon (aka LA Con IV). This will be my 26th Comic-Con and my first Worldcon.

Comic-Con and Worldcon are two of the largest conventions around. Comic-Con is a combination of a lot of cons in one place: comic books, animation, films, television, anime, manga, and gaming are the main focuses, with Hollywood representing big-time. It's held in San Diego every year by the same people. It is much like going to Disneyland, without the rides, and much stranger costumes.

Worldcon is for folks who like science fiction, and particularly written science fiction. The convention travels into and out of the US in alternating years. Last year it was Glasgow. This year it's LA. Next year it's Yokohama. Its character changes each year because the hosts change, but the definition of this convention is the core membership that turns up every year (e.g., Diane Duane and Peter Morwood). This is much more a gathering of the clans.

I will, most probably, be simply trying to survive both conventions. But am I going to be bumping into anybody else from these boards at either of these gatherings? Shall we try and have a meal together sometime? And if you can't make it, is there anything in particular you would like con reportage on when I get back?
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

I'm not going to make it to Comic-Con or Worldcon this year. I will be making it to Anthrocon (under 2 weeks from now) this year, and am toying with the idea of going to the Fargo Fantasy Festival (or whatever it's called now).

I will also be at Midwest Fur Fest, which is our local convention, that (like Anthrocon) has a bigger focus on the Furry fandom.
    -Positronic Cat
    (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

Mmmm Anthrocon takes place a scant 20 minutes from me!

But I would much rather go to to Comic-Con and Worldcon, really. Really, if only I had the money...
      Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
      Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

I said I was going to go to more conventions in the 21st century, but I haven't done anything about that. It'd help to have a car and an income, I suppose.

But... I've been to more Worldcons (so far) than Kathy! I've been to 0.25 of them! (One day of the 1987 Worldcon in Brighton.)

However, I definitely won't be going to any US conventions soon - I don't suppose I'll even get to any UK ones this year.
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Posicat: Yay! I'm not the only person who goes to these things! Yay! Hail to the furry clan!

Sean: Someday you will have the money. If, however, you'd like to attend a local con (i.e., don't have to worry about transport and accomodations) but can't afford the entrance fee, you can always phone up the convention and find out if volunteering will get you a free membership. It's one of the time-honored ways the young get into Comic-Con (it's how I started out). You spend a morning handing out badges or running a projector or herding Klingons or whatnot, and then you get a free one-day pass. Most conventions can use warm bodies to help run things. What about Confluence?). Of course, Anthrocon's got DD GoHing with Scott Shaw! this year....

PM: well, after August, I will have been to more Worldcons than you. You'll just have to start campaigning some convention to take place in Dover so you can just walk or take the bus there.

I'm slightly weirded out that I'll probably be running into George R.R. Martin at both conventions. I wasn't planning on seeing him (and the BwB folks) until August. This is going to be interesting. And woot! We got Amano and Koike at Comic-Con!!!! Now those are two guys I didn't think I would ever see at Comic-Con.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*waves wistfully from a rock in the middle of the Pacific*

We don't have any conventions out here; shoots, our gaming group had to start our own convention, Hanathon, an invitation-only camping event every May. The attendance keeps rising; we're now up to 20 people after 8 years and I will have to start printing more souvenir t-shirts. I'm wondering if it will ever become large enough to officially rent space at a resort.

Attending cons elsewhere in the world gets expensive when you have to fly everywhere.
            "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

*bows to the ever-wise Kathy from San Diego*

Calling them up and...*gasp* volunteering. Why don't us young folk have these ideas anymore? *wanders off to find a phone*

Yeah, one of the main driving points of me going to Anthrocon is DD's appearance there. Confluence looks interesting, but it's in Pittsburg! Farther away!
              Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
              Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Originally posted by meteorite:
                *waves wistfully from a rock in the middle of the Pacific*
                That's what you get for living on an island paradise. Yeah, Hawaii's a tough one. I have a friend who lives in Honolulu who's always complaining that there aren't any interesting booksignings. I was tickled pink to be able to send him to Scott McCloud's webpage to see Scott's plan for an all-50-states-booktour for Making Comics.

And Kawaii Con would definitely have been a miss for me.

Sean: I suppose I should have mentioned that it's only a possibility. Some cons don't give their volunteers freebie stuff, just the warm glow of a job well executed, while others may be fully staffed. But I figure it's worth a shot and what've you got to lose?

Comment

I think Anthrocon is looking for volunteers. I can't say however if they let you in free for volunteering, or do like many cons do, and if you volunteer enough hours they give you next year free. I would suspect the later.
                  -Positronic Cat
                  (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

When I worked registration at Anthrocon for several years running, we weren't charged as a thankyou for the work. That was back in 1999-2001 or so; this year I'm just going on a regular registration to see a couple of people I know who're going. It has now been changed, and if you volunteer you get in the next year for free.

The main convention hotel is fully booked, though. Sorry. (And no, the friend who works registration this year isn't gonna get anyone in free. Not even me!)

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! If you want to volunteer, see the con website on how to do so.

And please, please, PLEASE, have your ID, payment, and form out and ready when you get to the registration desk! It is a huge job to get everyone registered and us former and current reg-slaves would really, really appreciate everyone's help.

(edit: looks like I'll pitch in on Thursday evening, possibly).
                    -----
                    Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
                    "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

I got into the whole con-going thing rather late. I was almost 40 by the time I went to my first, a filk con in a castle in southern Germany. Since then I've been to the German filk con almost every year (I missed it in 1999) and the UK filk con every year. I've also fitted in a few UK UniCons (at Winchester, Oxford, York, and Cheltenham) and Eastercons (Liverpool, Blackpool, and Hinkley more than once). I usually help in Green Room at Eastercons, and I also helped staff Green Room at the Glasgow Worldcon. Next con I'm going to is this year's German filk con, then the UK one next February, and the Canadian filk con at end of March 2007 (at which the choir I'm in is GoH). After that, I'll probably take a breather until UniCon.

(Oh, and while I've plenty of friends going to Anthrocon, Eurofurence and Further Confusion, I havn't managed to get myself sufficiently organised to make it to a furry con yet (...and the Anthrocon website's throwing a "Precondition Failed" page at me at present, which isn't too helpful (not that I'd be able to go this year anyway (but someone helpful at anthrocon.org sorted it for me surprisingly quickly!)))).
                      -- Rick.

Comment

People who are going to Anthrocon but don't read the YW News and Events blog should go and look at DD's latest entry. Not sure how you'd actually leave a comment, though, all I see is an "email this entry to someone" button.

Oh! It's also on Out of Ambit, where there is a comments button .
                        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I don't see a way to do it there either. You can however post a comment on the LiveJournal mirror of the entry at http://dduane.livejournal.com/52570.html
                          -Positronic Cat

Comment

I left one there, and I see you did too. I don't think I've met you, though, so if we do all make it to dinner or something, that'll be nice teo meet everybody.
                            -----
                            Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
                            "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Whee!!!!!!!! DD has put up her Worldcon schedule!! and she's gonna do a Wizard of Mars reading!

Now all I gotta figure out is how to sign up for a kaffeeklatsch.

Comment

Working...
                              X