Ah yes. Harlan has a reputation...

wished I could be in three places at the same time
    A more-or-less manageable Con, then.
    -- Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:
      wished I could be in three places at the same time
      A more-or-less manageable Con, then.
      Yes, exactly. Had DD been there, I would have been at my wits' end attempting to get to everything. Just as an example, the aforementioned Tom Whitmore and Neilsen-Hayden kaffeeklatsches were at 11:00am on Sunday morning--exactly the same time that DD's would have been. I honestly thought that 25 years of Comic-Con would have helped me deal with it, but that's because after 25 years of Comic-Con, I can safely ignore a large portion of the programming. Not so with Worldcon, except among habitual worldcon attendees.
      Last edited by Kathy Li; January 9, 2009, 09:46:16 PM.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

AUGGHGGHGGHHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!

I had a plan, damnit.

I was going to take it easy this year at Comic-Con. I was going to get up at noon and the like, and not worry about doing the all-day thing. (sigh). It's already been blown to hell. They're screening Pushing Daisies at 9am at the Con. ohgod.

And the Torchwood crew are showing up, courtesy of BBCA (although Barrowman's already said he's not gonna be there). And there's a screening of Doctor Strange...

I am in such trouble. Oh, and Elise Matthesen just posted on her LJ that Fourth Street is back (yay! Fourth Street Fantasy Fair--the only convention I've ever been to wher audience members would be called on by their first names to ask a question). Ngggg.... I want my health back, now!!
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Since the only old topic related I could find has been closed...

Anyone else here who's headed to the Discworld convention in Birmingham next month? I'm really looking forward to it... and I am definitely taking my "Will Do Magic For Food" shirt. I couldn't not.
          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

I'm hoping to be there, yes. First time I'll have been to a Discworld Con, though friends have said they're good fun, and at least a few of them are going to be there too. Mostly I go to SF and Filk Cons, and I may find the lure of working tech at DWCon too strong to resist, in which case I'll be as good as invisible...
            -- Rick.

Comment

Sadly, no, but I'm seriously considering the US/Arizona Discworld convention in 2009, since DD will be a GoH. And any chance to see PTerry is worth grabbing onto with both hands.

I am heading out to the San Diego Comic-Con next week. Pray for me. Apparently Chris Chibnall & crew had a sufficiently fun time at last year's TORCHWOOD panel that this year Julie Gardner, Steven Moffat, and Russell T. Davies are coming out for the DOCTOR WHO panel. The joke is that given that Sci-Fi channel pre-empted DOCTOR WHO for a few weeks, the first half of the finale won't air until the day after the panel...talk aboutcher possibilities for spoilers...

Comment

I would do anything to go, but I am 12, and my dad is not as nutty as I am about the books. Oh well.
                “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                -Groucho Marx

Comment

Yeah, it's hard until you have your own credit card to get into conventions. But I started going to Comic-Con when I was 15, and I paid my way by volunteering for the con (I ran film projectors). Sometimes, parents can be convinced to accompany you, or let you go under the aegis of an responsible elder sibling (my sister was a gamer and a fan, so she didn't mind taking me).

Daylily, no worries, but there's a semi-rule around here about one-line posts. You may want to read the top of the Board FAQ before you get nagged to death.

Comment

Sorry, I guess I missed that one.
                    My family will not get me a credit card (not that I need one) and they will certainy not let me go overseas when I'm not allowed to go to school by myself (exactly .7 of a mile away from home, and .01 of a mile from my dad's workplace, A.K.A. the Mount Pleasant Public Librery).
                    That and the fact that I've got some sort of phone phobia will ensure the fact of me staying here.
                    For one time in my life I'm going to wish for an older resonsible sibling. I don't have one of any sort.
                    “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                    -Groucho Marx

Comment

Well, maybe you'll get lucky and there will be a convention, or a Pratchett signing near enough that you can drag your dad along. Locus has a pretty good convention list for North America. And, of course, there are thousands of like-minded Terry Pratchett fans hanging out on this website.

Comment

Ah, parents are hard to convince sometimes when it comes to cons, which is silly--since the conventions I've been to have always been really great places for all ages.

That said, I've been going to Anime Expo sans 'rents since I was 13....

Wow, Terry Pratchett AND DD at a convention? Oh how I wish I wasn't going to be out of the country at that point!
                        ---
                        Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

I'm not going to be able to go along, due to my being on the (nearly) opposite side of the planet...

But speaking of Cons, I went to my first one a couple of weeks ago . GenCon Oz. It was brilliant! I had a ball, especially at Tracy Hickman's Killer Breakfast

Comment

I am at Comic-Con. I'm sure someone here will eventually explain to me why there are tons of girls walking around with "Team Edward" written on their shirts. My friend Tamara said it was a good two-hour wait to get into Hall H for the Twilight movie presentation.

I was busy watching some other folks ....

Russell T. Davies, contrary to early announcements, was not in attendance, as he's writing Torchwood, and, in the words of Julie Gardner, is sellotaped to a chair, with food being shoved under the door, and is under guard until he finishes writing.

Oh, and we got to see a slightly longer cut of the teasser trailer for the '08 Doctor Who Christmas special, which gave nothing away, but made it pretty clear (well, to me) that David Morrissey is gonna be in Big Damn Hero mode for at least a scene or two.

Comment

The Discworld Convention was fun, though I did end up working Tech most of the time ("You mean I should have been filling in a gopher timesheet?"). Trialia's path crossed mine a couple of times during the Con, long enough to say "Hi" and have a very brief conversation. Unfortunately DD didn't make it though.
                              -- Rick.

Comment

Yeah, I saw DD apologizing for not making the convention on her blog. Bummer. But nice to hear the convention was fun! I'm still looking at pics of Denvention/Worldcon, and going, "Man! I wish I could'a been there."

Comment

Working...
                                X