Geeky moments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeky moments...

maybe this isn't the right title for this, maybe i should have said smart moments, or something, i don't know, so i'll describe to you waht i am talking about...i mean those moments that probably happen to all of us, that we say, or do, or someone else does the same, and we suddenly feel incredibly geeky...LIke for me, it's when someone complains about having to do vocabulary, on the grounds that "kevin" (that being me) is the only one who's going to use it...Or when someones stumbling trying to find a name, and everyones trying to help, and he/she goes "no, the smart one" and everyone goes "oh, you mean KEVIN" Or when a class colectively starts talking about how smart i am and about my future carreers...it's kind of weird, and makes me feel kind of geeky...and i'm not usually...i've never been called a geek, except once, as a compliment...which, around here, seems like an insult to my character...but yeah, sometimes it's fun to share moments like that and laugh about it, so i thought this would be a good place to do so...have fun!
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Well, this wasn't on brains, but my bookwormness. Today we had some big eighth grade meeting and had to put two facts about ourselves and one lie. Ex. (mine): I slugged through the woods in over a foot of snow. I vacationed in California. I went to the Ritz and hated the food.
    (guess, XD. This should be haard.. )

So then, we got this sheet of paper and we were supposed to find all these people. Ex.: Who has lived in a different sate. What is it?

So, of course, I spend 5 minutes kneeling on the ground for ...someone who has read a good book lately. What was it? *slaps head* I barely finished the sheet because of that...

Yes, well, that's the end of my long rant on being a bookworm.
    just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

There aren't many that I can remember at the moment- unfortunately my friends've learned not to say anything that'd remind me about string theory
      I'm at my geekiest in English XD seeing that I'm so bored I either contribute to make the class move faster or I try to fall asleep. I've done two English projects so far involving astronomy.
      Then there's whenever I'm watching NUMB3RS (which I am currently addicted to =) ) and I actually know what Charlie (the genius mathemetician) is talking about...
      But actual moments...there was that time my friend won the school geography contest and moved on to the provincials (and the nationals after that)...and I was jealous for months because he had only beat me by one mark It was so much fun bugging everyone about it though ^^ And the time I planned to go to a public nanochem lecture at the university instead of church fellowship...except my teacher had given me the wrong date, and when I show up at fellowship (late) everyone goes "Nerd..." And the time at band camp where I had a dream about being selected for a math contest (this was just after I had written one).
      And I won't even touch on Diplomacy in polit sci club...
      I'd say my teachers are the geekiest people I know though- my science teacher once memorised the Elements Song (by Tim Lehrer-Google it!)and my math teacher writes his capital "E"s like square roots of two >_>
      -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Comments on bookwormness work too...i had a sheet like that once...i was going everywhere filling out peoples stuff...

oh, another geeky moment...THe teacher told us that scholatic books was doing something where if the classes read a hundred books, they would donate one hundred books to a class room somewhere in the usa that needed it. She said it wasn't asking too much since a lot of us read anyways...as one, the class laughed and pointed at me...even the teacher agreed i could probably do it all by myself...(all hundred books i mean.)
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I get a lot of those, except in math, where I'm still pretty good, but at my worst. :P Spanish, though? Since English is my best subject (though Grammar is indeed a pain in the arse) I'm good at Spanish too. And since I've taken informal Spanish classes before (it was an immersion thing) that class is a breeze. So whenever someone has a question, they automatically go, "just ask her". It gets annoying though, so I usually just tell them to pick up their freakin' textbooks and discover the index. I know, you gotta love me.

-peri

Comment

Geeky moments? I have lots of those. Normally in honors chemistry, because even though it's an honors class, nobody knows anything. Nobody knew what sublimation was, nobody knew what absolute zero was, and a bunch of other things like that. Of course, my dad was a chemist, and my brothers are geeks (even my 10-year-old brother), so we have dinnertable discussions about black holes and string theory.
            Oh, and I felt smart today because nobody in my trig class understood what we were doing, and I finished all 20-some questions on my homework in around 7-10 minutes. It was easy stuff, about inverses of trig functions.
            I had enough of "point-to-Kinz-because-she's-smart" stuff in elementary school. It got so annoying being the 'smart one' all the time because then you can never make a mistake. I'm
            sure you all can relate. And they still happen. All my friends are kind of annoyed with me because I keep shoving books in their hands and go, "READ! NOW!" and they don't read much. Hehe. I'm forcing my friend to read SYWTBAW right now...
            --I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

Comment

I have a lint-trap memory; my friends are always encouraging me to try out for Jeopardy or Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?

One of my friends was channel-surfing and paused momentarily on an advertisement for a new game show. I glanced at the question on the screen and blurted "Types of apples." He looked at me and said, "You know, sometimes when you do that, it creeps me out a little."
              "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
              "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Geeky moments for me involve toylust. Y'know, like when I realized I could use my car navigation's GPS unit over Bluetooth with my Tungsten E/2 while I'm out taking photos, so that I can then extract and convert the .pdb to a .gpx file, so I could synch up the timestamp from my digital photos with the timestamps on the waypoints and then stuff the GPS information into the EXIF of my digital photos. And then use Flickr and Greasemonkey to get maps of where I took the photo.

THAT's a geek moment for me.

The socially-weird-too-smart stuff are "nerd" or "dork" moments.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I know what you mean about not being able to get anything wrong...everyone expects me to know the answer...when i get in wrong, they usually forget about it, sinmce they just want to think i know everything, but at the same time i feel like i'm a major mess up for getting a single thing wrong...and everyone thinks i read to much. at the moment, i'm reading for chairity though, so i have an excuse...

Comment

I don't think this is really a 'geeky' moment, just a moment when I felt smarter than everyone in the room. My friends and I (Three of us) always watch three hours of WLIIA? together on Fridays, and there are lots of times when I'll be laughing, and my friends will say, "Whaaa?" I'll explain it, and by the time they start laughing at that, I'm laughing at something else they have to ask me about.

And then, on the bus stop, my neighbors will look at the book I'm reading and say, "Does she? Yep, she's got a new book today. Woah, that one would take me like a year! And you'll be done today?" I just nod, and keep reading.

Then there's FAT. (Fresh Air Time- 20 to 30 free minutes outside after lunch) I always read during FAT, and my friends will look at the page I'm on and ask, "You started that today? I can read that much in several months!" And one in particular, she's reading this book and she started a month or two ago, and I asked her what page she was on last Friday, and she said "I'm not even on the 2nd chapter yet" And that was a book she was reading for fun. How long would it take her if she didn't want to read it?

Okay, one more. In Language Arts class, our teacher gives out candy if you use a big word when you're talking, but not if he can tell you're doing it on purpose, just to get candy, you know? We had something on the board that said "FAT Time" and I asked him if that was redundant. He told me why it wasn't (can't remember why) and gave me some candy. Then some other kid got candy for using the word 'ironic' Ironic? I use that word every day! (pretty much) So yeah...
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------
                    Today I saw cancer, cigarettes and shortness of breath. This is why I walk to the ocean. Swim with sharks and jellyfish. I may never get this chance again. This is why if you want to

Comment

Yup...my geekiest moments are with books. :P Here's a good example; at school, we're participating in a program where if we read 100 books as a class, then Scholastic will give 100 books to schools that have been damaged or destroyed. Our teacher told us that books that we've read from the beginning of the year count. The day after she announced that our class was doing this, I popped out with a list of 11 books. I got some very strange looks, and though all of us are good readers (it's honors English) it still felt pretty akward, no one else having over 7 books read. That was a Friday. By Tuesday (I was absent on Monday) I had read another 3 books. And now (it's still Tuesday!) I'm almost done with Book Theif (I'm learning German cuss words by the minute!!) and I have a few more pages of Tuck Everlasting to go. (I've read it fifty million times already, but it's just such a bittersweet book.) I could probably mention about twenty other nerdy moments TODAY, but I'll save 'em for later. XD This topic makes us feel smart, doesn't it?

Comment

I don't remember having read enough books for to turn them all in...I don't have much reading t9ime out of school these days...i have another kinda geeky moment...
                        report cards for the marking period came in yesterday. we had letter grades...since it doesn't count this year, (not a, b, c...E, S, N, U)
                        I got mostly s's...e in pool. people were shocked i didn't get e in english, till i pointed out i entered the class like three weeks late...Oh, and i got a needs work in french...Ok, not terribly geeky...geeky part comes now: everyone in english expected me to have all e's...I don't do nearly enough class participation for htat. it's not htat i don't want too, it's just that i've given up...I mean,everyone already expects me to know the answer...

Comment

I get people always tapping me on the shoulder, asking me questions. When I was presenting my autobiography, I was asked why I liked science so much. I joked that it was because it was so much like suppertime (my dad's a scientist- we get entanglement during dinner.) Another question was how many books I read in a week. I said 3-7 (it depends on how busy I am). I feel geeky when people ask me when they ask me my marks on a test.
                          ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

SOmeone once asked me to do their homework for a dime...*headesk* you could at least offer me more then that...not that i'd do it mind you, it's just the idea that i could be bought off for a dime is insulting...Everyone in my english class seems determined to give me a big head.,..and tons of geeky moments. we have to memorize something, they think i did it in a second...saddly i would have but didn't bother...they think more highly of me then i think of me...

Comment

...i have soo many geeky moments it's not funny.
                              our english teacher gave us a short story to read over the course of a couple of days and then we were going to have a quiz. i took the quiz after about 30 minutes.

crap! i just forgot what i was starting to type...*has a stupid moment*
                              heh. well i'll remember later

dai all.
                              -MBF
                              ---------------------------------------
                              YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                              "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

Working...
                              X