user names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user names

So, how did you people pick your user names? Mine's a ship in A Clash of Kings by George R R Martin. My nickname (Cinna) is a fashion designer in The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, probably my favorite character in the book. He is very cool. It's also one of the the guys who conspired to murder Julius Caesar (at least in Shakespeare's opinion.) That was unintentional.
    I'm not a guy, or a ship, or planning on killing anyone, but whatever. Still like the name.
    You guys?
    Last edited by Cinnamon Wind; December 5, 2009, 08:02:13 PM.
    I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
    -- Charles Shulz

Sort of

I really didn't care for the name because mine isn't that cool yours on the other hand is very creative must suit ur style

Comment

My user name is the title of a song by Kiwi band The Feelers. Their debut album was really big in the late 90s when I was a senior* in college (read: 'high school' in other countries; I don't know why we call high schools 'colleges' in NZ). Anyway, since I've been an astronomy geek since the age of, oh, THREE, I put Space Cadet on the back of my school leaver's jersey (another NZ oddity, I believe). It didn't actually stick or anything, but in 2002 when I signed up here I decided to reuse it.

An example of how much of an astronomy geek I was (am): I distinctly remember, when I was about seven or eight and at a family reunion, lecturing adult relatives on how Pluto is not actually a planet, citing orbital eccentricity and the similarity of its composition to Kuiper Belt objects, and saying that one day scientists would agree with me. And I wondered why I got picked on at school . . .

*'Senior' refers to the last three years of 'college'. A 'junior' would be in the first two.
      Last edited by Space Cadet; December 5, 2009, 09:33:35 PM.

Comment

Well...in 8th grade, my basketball coach started calling me Seabiscuit as a joke; it derives from a nickname that my dad had in high school, and since I was still horseback riding at the time, it made even more sense. Nobody really calls me it anymore, but I still like it. As for the numbers...10 was my lucky number when I signed up here, and I was trying to type "08," as it's the year I graduated from high school, but hit "09" by mistake, and never bothered to ask one of the admins to change it. Oops.

Comment

lol. I actually don't even really like my username all that well. When I signed up on this forum it was the first thing to come to mind. I was shocked when they accepted it, I thought for sure that someone else would have used something like it. This is the only place where I go by bookgirl, everywhere else I'm kiwigreeneyes. Kiwi is a nickname, and my eyes are green (kiwi green).
          "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

well my user name is really boring because it is simply my name without a space.
            "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

my user name is simple and like me

I like Young wizards series and desired to put wizard in my user name princess is because i like princesses and im a girly girl so i got wizard princess

i was surprised when they accepted wizard princess since most of my user names i want to use get the 'already taken message'

Comment

Usually, my username is Suzy Turquoise Blue, from the Keys to the Kingdom series, because she's a really offbeat, funny, and spunky character. And she speaks with a cockney accent, which I love and have always wanted to do...even though I live in California.

But I love the way the word Silver sounds, and I was tired of Suzy, and right next to me was a piece of transparent silver tissue paper lying on top of a blue book. And Silvered Blue was born.

Comment

User names are curious things. Sometimes we can think them up for ourselves, and other times they're handed to us by some authority or other. I'd guess most folk would use something they'd chosen for themselves here, and mine's just a version of one I've used in a number of places since late in 2001. It just seemed like a handy handle at the time, and it stuck. Sometimes it gets run into one word, or hyphenated rather than appearing as two words, depending on what's available. There are other folk (and a company or two) out there using the same name, and in one or two places (like Livejournal) I've had to resort to something a little more obscure. But that's another story...
                  -- Rick.

Comment

I always liked the color amethyst(not talking about the birthstone, and no, I was not born in February), and I like to write. So then thinking about something that would combine those two I came up with Amethystpen-a pen that has the color of amethyst/is the color (of)amethyst. Originally I thought about using things like type, or comp, or even pencil instead of pen, but I ended up with the thought that pen sounded the best, and I don't regret that.

Comment

Well, my username here is pretty obvious *grin*, but everywhere else on the net, I go by SarekOfVulcan. Back in 1986, I was attempting to sign in to a chatroom -- the predecessor to RELAY@BITNET, which was the predecessor to IRC -- as SPOCK. Unfortunately, someone had beaten me to it, so I decided to log in as SAREK instead. It stuck. :-)

Here's some evidence of it being in use in 1992 -- can't find anything much earlier at the moment.
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Tuttle is half of Tuttleturtle. I had actually tried to have Tuttleturtle be what it displayed and have my name as "Tuttle" because I didn't want to give my real name at that point, but I got it confused and had my log in name as Tuttleturtle and my display name as Tuttle. I don't mind as Tuttle is the common reduction anyways.

How Tuttleturtle came about - I wanted a good screenname that actually fit me when getting a gmail account. I wanted to use turtle in it because my friends had gotten to calling me a turtle for various reasons. They'd give me turtle keychains randomly too. But I needed something that sounded good with it - I was reminded of Tuttle from an inside joke between one of my friends and one of my teachers (she'd been trying to research King Tut and only could find things on Merlin D. Tuttle, utmost authority on fruit bats and the joke went from there). They sounded good together so I used it. However I rarely use just "Tuttleturtle" because I broke that gmail account so changed it some for my new account. So Tuttleturtle remains me in some places and that is often shortened to Tuttle.

Really it choose me more than I chose it, I couldn't come up with anything and then there was that and it just fit. Now if its typed I'll respond to Tuttle faster than to my real name (though I also usually type out my boyfriend's screenname rather than his name 'cause its what my fingers default to, its kinda amusing).
                        We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Mine is a family abbreviation of my full name - although my friends now use it too. Its not the normal shortening of Alison though When I signed up for these forums, I decided that I wanted to use something closer to my real name, but not completely, rather than the email usernames that I had used in the past. Since using it here, most of my friends now use it, as I had it as my MSN screenname for a long time, and it rubbed off.

Comment

Mine is a nickname that I took in early college when I was writing (On paper, FYI... I know really old school) friends and I signed letters that way... Then when I started playing RPG games online I took Stormwind and the nickname just stuck...
                            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Mine is latin for God's Wrath
                              Footsteps in the snow suggest where you have been, point to where you were going: but where they suddenly vanish, never dismiss the possibility of flight....

Comment

Working...
                              X