Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old were you when you started reading the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old were you when you started reading the series?

Thank you for not capitalizing *OLD* like I just did, man of limbo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Personally, I'm of legal drinking age yet not *OLD* enough to run for president. However, I only discovered this series a couple of years ago--and at the time I was already well past their "target age group." Also, I love cartoons. Sue me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

OLD!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    --Mitch(:

Comment

I was 3 years old when SYWTBAW was first published, according to the copyright notice in the front of my battered, much loved paperback edition. I was 13 when I was first introduced to them. That was some time ago now. I s'pose that makes me *OLD* too!

The problem with finding a good ongoing series when you're young is that you need to keep reading them. Isobelle Carmody has kept me hanging out for the final Obernewtyn book for years now, and if Diane's got two more Young Wizards books to go, I s'pose I'll be visiting the Young Adults section of the bookstore for a few years to come!

Comment

i realised that SYWTBAW is old! it was like published at least 10 years ago
        Try more like 20 years ago! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
        I discovered the Young Wizards books back when Deep Wizardry had just come out. I was just about the target age group at the time. There's more discussion on this topic here:
        "How Long Have You Been a Fan?"

Since nobody seems to want to come out and say exactly how old they are, I'll be the first (the rest of you can follow suit: c'mon, McFly, are you chicken?)

I'm 26.

That makes me older than The Man of Limbo, older than Mad King Soup, and I don't yet know about MichMane. Maybe Mich will write another "Hey Worlebird" post and tell me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] We're currently at 3 and counting. And for the record, yup, I am mocking you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Worlebird
        ------------------------------------
        At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers into a computer room with a single distribution of BSD Unix. Upon opening the room after seven days, we found all ten programmers dead, clutching each others' throats, and thirteen new flavors of BSD.
        Worlebird
        ------------------------------------
        "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]I enjoy our little repertoire, Worlebird; you've even got me double-checking my posts for grammatical errors.

Lucky you, I am in a jovial mood today and have accepted your challenge. I'm 21.

(I'm also a Libra, blood type O positive, favorite color blue, prefer cats, am a zoologist, have a posty-note obsession, favorite artist is Van Gogh, I hate winter, am a compulsive door-closer, and I love rock and roll.)[The preceding sentence was not checked for grammatical errors. Alas, I am a liar as well.]

Well, Worlebird, I suggest we become friends now. (I shouldn't be pestering my senior, anyway. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img])

I hereby extend to you the e-olive branch. (Yes, all the way to Idaho!)

Besides, I'm the "universal donor." You might need me someday.
          --Mich

Comment

I wouldn't call anyone 21, 22, 26, or 15 "*OLD*", per se. I just got a kick out of the end of man of limbo's sentence: "SYWTBAW is old!" *OLD* with and exclaimation point! It made me laugh.... out loud. Then I thought the only thing better would be *OLD* in capital letters.... with unnecessary asterisks.

Okay, it's just me that sees the humor in that. I understand. It happens a lot.

So, in conclusion: No offense. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

OLD!
            --Michele(:

Comment

I feel so...YOUNG! I'm 14. And I discovered the books about 2 years ago...after a year of searching.

Aurora the Phoenix

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I, too, am 15, and i, too, assumed most people would be my age-ish (though I did know the books were quite old.) But no... we have aged folks from all over the place! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (No offense to all you *cough* decrepit*cough* people out there)
                Well, bye for now...
                B

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                Chocolate lover extraordinaire... mmmmyummmm
                *whimper* Exams, 17th to 3rd. Feel for me!
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hm. I'm 19. Found the series when I was 14. So I fall into the middle of age groupings here, I suppose.

Je ne connait pas la peur. -Oui... tu aura peur, tu aura peur.
                  -Star Wars
                  it's so easy to laugh at yourself when all those jokes have already been written...
                  who're you fooling if the fools are right?

Comment

Who are you calling decrepit?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] DERN KIDS! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Why, when I was YOUR AGE I had to walk a mile to school in the snow.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] uphill both ways! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Shame on me for posting four times in the same thread, but I just realized I had a *SENIOR MOMENT* earlier. I'm a Leo. See, Leo/Libra--they both start with "L." [Add one more to my list of personal quirks.]

Actually, I'm surprised that so many posters are younger than I thought they were. I figured everybody on this board was just trying to grasp the last remnants of their youth in between cribbage and games of hearts. Thus far, I would actually have pegged Birdhead, man of limbo, and Aurora as older than myself. Maybe it's because I am such a child....

Okay, I think Michele needs to take a break from the board for a few days.... and sip tropical beverages in Waikiki....

AloooooooHA!
                    --Mich(:

Comment

Our next contestant is 22, an Aries, and the youngest member of the distinguished Soup Dynasty. He enjoys both experiencing and creating the written word, the mysteries of music and politley asking computers to do things in C++. He also enjoys moonlit walks on the beach and working on his friends' hotted-up cars. No wait a minute, that last bit is crossed out. Sorry. Just moonlit walks on the beach.

I think I'm the opposite of you, Michele - I'm surprised at the number of *OLD* people here. But then again, my eyes are dim and I have to be off to play a game of bowls before the nurses call us in for tea, so what do I know? :P

Comment

Comment

well, just to let everyone know, it doesn't really matter how old you are...yup...i'm 16 and people think that i'm too old to be reading YW...just enjoy the books, that's what i say. and hey, people can be young at heart (or, i guess they can also be old...). ok, the point is, i'm so happy that there are older people than me who enjoy reading these books [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] i guess i can show everyone that i'm perfectly normal...

Comment

Well I am younger then all of you I am only 13

*Nita*

Not old enough to love as yet-but old enough to die indeed.
                            --DD Deep Wizardry

Comment

Boy, I'm surrounded by a group of young whippersnappers. <g>

Heck, I'm 34 years old - and I enjoy the YW series just as much now as I did 20 years ago when she came out with the first one.

Khendon.

Comment

Working...
                              X