No announcement yet.

Big Meow (Spoiler Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't actually know yet when subscribers will get a chance to read chapter 7. Add a week or so to that, and it should be up for non-subscribers. DD seems to have been busy with the movie people the weekend of February 4th.
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogosha:
      And I'll mention that it's not the first time DD has worked someone from real life into the Feline Wizards books. Remember Artie?
      Don't forget Luciano Pavarotti's (admittedly far more incidental) appearance in TBONWM. Also, just as we had Queen Victoria, Benjamin Disraeli, and E. A. Wallis Budge in addition to Artie in OHMWS/TVTQ, it looks like we're going to see a few other historical characters besides Damon Runyon in TBM, since Walter Winchell (Hhwalher Hhwinhel'lh) just appeared in Chapter 6. However, both Anya Harte and Elwin Dagenham, as well as Giorgio, appear to be fictional (though they may very well be based on historical characters). I shouldn't be surprised if Winchell makes more than just a cameo appearance, as he and Runyon were close companions during Runyon's later years, so he may be enlisted in the cause (or prove to be an annoyance).
      Originally posted by kli6:
      Holy cow, DD does wodges of research! I wonder how many people don't realize that fantasy novels, even if you're making everything up, can still require research.
      Well, in this case she's practically writing a full-blown historical novel, so she has all sorts of things to keep track of (even if, as we've seen above, she appears to have been a bit sloppy with Damon Runyon's historical timeline, barring revelations later in the book). I would be very interested to know how much research she does for, say, the Middle Kingdoms books. For while I imagine that she does some research for them, it is doubtless of a different kind, and, I would wager, most likely far less extensive than that for TBM. (Watch it—DD is now going to decide to make her voluminous research for ...Starlight available on the web. )

Since it's been mentioned, I also have read Harry of Five Points (and just didn't think of it when I made my previous post), which may very well have helped me to identify DD's Damon Runyon pastiche as such.

Finally, as far as particularly humorous bits go, I must say that I was quite taken with Urruah's turn as the Cheshire Cat in Chapter 5, and am vastly amused by the running joke about overblown "revival" architecture.

Edited to correct various stylistic infelicities.
      Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Originally posted by knieve:
        Hay do you know when Chapter 7 will be out for non subscribers? I've tried to figure out when it would come out but i can not tell.
        As you may have gathered in the past two months, knieve, we're not sure when it's going to be out for subscribers, either.

Patience is a virtual... umm, that's one of the weirder typos I've come up with lately, so I'll leave it. It's a virtue, too. :-)

Updated July 11:
        *happy dances at the latest message from The Whisperer stating that Chapter 7 is imminent for subscribers*
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

...and now I've read Chapter 7. I love the story within a story with which it ends, and (noticing his post at the top of the page) I wonder what Peter would have made of it...
          -- Rick.

Comment

Working...
          X