Big Meow (Spoiler Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Meow (Spoiler Thread)

A place to discuss the first chapter that DD's put up for subscribers and donors, and everybody else can stay spoiler-free.

And may I just say: "Blue Harvest"--BWAH HA HA HA!!!!!
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

What a great chapter. I am so excited for the next one. I'm guessing that this chapter is setting us up for Rhiow and Urruah to go their separate ways or Rhiow is going to die. My guess is for soem reason Urruah is going to have to take over as team leader. Also, I loved the dragging the world gate with teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
      And may I just say: "Blue Harvest"--BWAH HA HA HA!!!!!
      Blue Harvest? Hawubbawho?

*Googles*

Oh.

Diane, you're evil. :-)

So, is Siff'hah on loan to the New York team, or did she switch teams after To Visit the Queen?
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Excellent chapter, really whetted my appetite for more. Love the whole concept of a movie crew disguising moving the World Gate *giggles* Can you imagine the conversation?

Cop: How ya doin' that?
        Movie crew: Magic
        Cop: Aww, c'mon, you can tell me!
        Movie crew: No, really, it's all magic!
        Cop: OK, OK, trade secret, I get it! *sulks*

Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Comment

BRILLIANT! I love it I'm looking forward to the rest

Rhiow does seem a bit thoughtful about other things... like Urruah leading and that. I wonder why. If she does die off, I think I'll cry, she's an awesome character.

*hugs DD* Can't wait for more

Alla

Comment

Originally posted by alla:
            Rhiow does seem a bit thoughtful about other things... like Urruah leading and that. I wonder why. If she does die off, I think I'll cry, she's an awesome character.
            Remember, she's not on her ninth life yet. :-)
            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Is the socket ready! Rhiow said" - just checking that that's supposed to be a ! and not a ?

Anyway, the continuing chapters are going to be a lot of fun to look forward to over the next few months!
              Ardub
              r:w)

Comment

Originally posted by Ardub:
                ... "ffhilm- that strange twelve-frames-per-second artform" ...
                Yeah, I had an e-mail in to DD about that the day it went up. I figure I was probably the 26th person to mention it. The for-public-consumption version has been corrected to "twenty-four-frames-per-second."
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardub:
                  "ffhilm- that strange twelve-frames-per-second artform" - I know from video-capturing some old VHS-recorded cartoons that animation is often 12 frames per second, but I think live action film is recorded at 24 (non-interlaced) frames and shown that way in a projector, before pulldown to 30 non-interlaced frames or 60 interlaced fields for home viewing
                  ...or, of course, 25fps in 50Hz countries. Converting to 30fps from 24fps is just so much easier than converting to 25fps...
                  -- Rick.

Comment

What I am wondering is - will the Penn team be involved further on, and how? And if, and how, the worldgate that they moved will be involved? Will it be?
                    What do you all think?

Comment

Snort. Such a SoCal thing to shrug off a 4.3 as "just a little one" while the out-of-towners go bananas in the aftershocks. [grin]. Also glad that DD knows about the L.A. subway system. It's relatively new, so I wasn't sure she'd have been aware.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                        Snort. Such a SoCal thing to shrug off a 4.3 as "just a little one" while the out-of-towners go bananas in the aftershocks. [grin].
                        Snort indeed. I didn't get any warmups before the 6.8 that hit up here 5 years ago. :-)

----

So, the Grand Central gates have been there for hundreds of years _and_ from the depths of time?

Took me a couple of reads before I properly parsed "out of pride" -- maybe it should be hyphenated?

"no sooner has one gate THAT it hauls off"

Is this before or after WaW? This "threat from outside" doesn't sound like WaW's, but...

Comment

Well, see, that's the difference between Southern California and Northern California (and Oregon and Washington). When you guys up North get a quake, it tends to be big and rare, not like down here (I think we just had a tremor this morning. I was woken up--then again, it could've been sonic booms from the nearby marine air station. I'm never sure). Hence Aufwi's comments about how you don't have to worry about the intensity so much as the travel distance.

When I was in school in Berkeley, I once got dumped out of bed by a quake, and some of my books fell off the shelves (and that was a little routine one, nothing like Loma Prieta). It freaked me out, because quakes back home in San Diego rarely had a large vertical movement like that.

The worst one I remember down here was a while back--woke me up at 2am, and it lasted for roughly 30 seconds, which is nearly forever for a quake. And it was very gentle, and rolling, and I realized it was probably not in San Diego, and whoever got the epicenter, was seeing a ton of damage.

Turned out to be L.A. Thankfully, it happened at 2 in the morning, when there wasn't much traffic to speak of, and a lot of the bridge and highway retrofitting had apparently worked.

Comment

This makes me wish I'd gone to last year's WorldCon. Not that I'm going to this year's either, but last year's was in a city with firm foundations.

Was I the only one who kept feeling hungry while reading chapter 2 ?

I had to read "out of pride" twice, too.

I like the fact Rhiow still misses Susan.

The Grand Central gates are "rooted in the depths of time" - remember Downside? It doesn't mean that they've been there for more than mere hundreds of years . (Not like certain gates, that are four to five thousand years old....) I don't think that's an error.
                            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

i haven't read this series!! *waiiiiiil* YET.

Comment

Working...
                              X