The New Excerpt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Excerpt!

when is the new exercpt coming out? b/c i can't wait...*grin* what do u think its going to be about? or start with?
    brenna
    "to find the sun you must face the rain"

[This message was edited by brennavanilla on 13 March 2004 at 20:11.]

*Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

really? an excerpt already? Thats great! I haven't posted in awhile, i have to catch up....

" Duct tape, the stuff that holds the universe together."A Wizard Alone by Diane Duane
      - Serena

Comment

this is the best news i've had all day, and trust me i've had a bad day!! but hearing that the new excerpt is coming out soon has really cheered me up just one question for thoses who have been on this site for years! how long is it from the first excerpt release to the publication of the book? roughly!!!!
        -Foxy-
        God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

A new excerpt?!? *bounces* ^_^ Aaaargh, suspense! Yes, it's March and I'm checking back EVERY day for it. Can't wait. Of course, then I'll have to start raiding the bookstores.

Calliope, the muse of poetry and song

http://headintheclouds.blogdrive.com
          Metaphors be with you.

Comment

I had the dumbest brain freeze on that one. I was all "Cantwaitcantwaitcantwait!", and was seriously mentally counting down the days until March. Then, of course, I had MEAs (Maine standardised testing GAH!) and I completely forgot. So today in the middle of the test I was like "Hey, it's March. Wonder if the excert is up yet!" Then our bus got into an accident (no one was hurt except for the guy who ran into the bus )...then I finally get to the computer and it's not up yet... I really wish they'd put an official date so I could mark my calendar

...aLiDa...

"You don't like me, do you?"
            "You make me RETCH."
            "....."

--Inuyasha (being his lovely self) and Kagome, from the manga by the genius named Rumiko Takahashi
            ^_^ It's my new fetish...

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Hi everyone, this question is sort of on topic! Does anyone know if your able to pre-order 'Wizards at war'? I've looked both on Amazon uk/usa and can't find it. I say this cause I thought I read somewhere that the books out this year and Amazon let your pre-order books years in advance! I can't wait to get the next book or read the exercpt.
              -Foxy-

Comment

If you want a date for whene th excerept will be up, try 31st March. It will up then, I think we can safely assume.
                On the pre-ordering thing... Amazon don't do that until there is a definate release date/price from the publishers. That in itself won't happen until aftre DD sends the final manuscript to the publishers.
                Going off on a slighty tangent: did anyone else notice some difference betwee the excrepts from Holiday and the final result? The only one I noticed was the knife-sharpening bit was dropped.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
                "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

If you want a date for whene th excerept will be up, try 31st March. It will up then, I think we can safely assume
                  It is never safe to assume. Uhm, but particularly with the issue in question. I would suggest just checking back reasonably regularly but infrequently- say once a week. Anything else just leads to useless frustration...Excerpts are lovely, and they usually go up on time, but they've been known to be held up.

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                  --Agent M
                  Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                  Still the Typo Queen
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Birdhead is right if you keep cherking it you will burn out.

*Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                    *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                    *Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
                    *Many have come and gone but few are here to stay-Devin
                    *Life is a book, all thats good is when one is in suspense-Devin
                    *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                    *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                    *Many have come and go

Comment

Originally posted by Fox:
                      just one question for thoses who have been on this site for years! how long is it from the first excerpt release to the publication of the book? roughly!!!!
                      -Foxy-
                      I dunno about the length of time between excerpt and publication, Foxy, but I've noticed a trend where my birthday is the last day of September and the book is released in the first week of October, for a few years running now. Anything done thrice is a tradition, eh? So I'll be ready for my "New Wizards Book Reward" as soon as I finish writing and mail off my thank-you notes. Perfect timing!

Jarissa

I lurk. A lot. Don't mind me: I simply do not have much of interest to say.
                      I lurk. A lot. Don't mind me: I simply do not have much of interest to say. I've been here since two computers ago - oh, somewhere before 2001, for certain. But I'm so quiet, I'm generally unmemorable!

Comment

Thanks Jarissa, oh and welcome to the big family that is the 'Discussion Forum'.
                        Foxy

Comment

To answer Wilf's question about the revisions to the excerpts in the published book, as far as I can remember (not having a copy of Holiday to refer to), the knife-sharpening scene was indeed the only sizeable passage removed in going from the excerpts to the published book, but there were some significant additions as well as the expected minor revisions to the first three chapters (to my knowledge, chapter 5 is the same in both the excerpts and the published version). I think that the passages involving Nita's dreams were the only large passages added, though I seem to remember a short scene with Dairine thinking about the exchange wizards being new (but I can't be entirely sure that this scene was actually in one of the chapters that were excerpted). The various nit-picks that I brought up in 'Of Laser Disingenuators, Julian Dates and Color Variables' were taken care of, and there were a few other changes (such as Alaalu's primary getting a bit hotter [G3 to G0, though the Sun also became a G0 star in Holiday!] and Kit's comment that Alaalu was someplace where "everyone was tan and life really was a beach" [quoting from memory here] being removed [if I remember correctly]). It seems that I noticed one or two other changes, but I can't think of them at the moment.

I have to wonder why the knife sharpening scene was removed, though, especially as Nita's comment to Dairine about "I hear I'm getting good with metal" (concerning the springs on Dairine's bed) seemed to be a direct reference to it (and was retained in the printed edition).

Nathan
                          Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

I was reading 'Book News' under the little blurb about the Russian (or was it Swedish?)edition of SYWTBAW, and it said that wizards at War was scheduled for publication in August of 2004. It's on the YW website. *is hopeful* That's sooner than I thought.
                            Metaphors be with you.

Comment

<span class="ev_code_RED">Darn it</span>, when I saw this topic I thought the new excerpt was out. It'll probably come out when I'm away (I'm leaving tomorrow!!) and then when I get back I'll have a pleasant surprise. I hope so. I want to know why
                              S
                              P
                              O
                              I
                              L
                              E
                              R
                              Spot said "Uh oh!"
                              *Ella*
                              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                              What could mean more than this?"
                              --Bright Eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X