No announcement yet.

names that you have recently thought of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know whats interesting is the fact someone makes up a name and uses it. the harry potter sereirs had a lot of copyright in it. the whole book for that matter, i remember watching an interveiw done with her and she said most of the names in the sereis are all bacsed off of somthing. their was a scertine reascerch doe for them
    its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

Thats interesting. I love it when something like a name can be traced through language to find meaning that goes with the character.
      In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

All of JK's names have something or other to do with the character, or else have some other hidden meaning/message. For example, Remus Lupin is a werewolf. Remus: one of the two mythological twins who were raised by a wolf and later founded Rome. Lupin: From Lupus, I believe it's the latin word for dog.

Sirius Major is a dog-shaped constellation, hence Sirius Black. In fact, all of the "pure blood" Blacks are named after constellations

Unless I've completely made them up, my names always have something to do with my characters, and in the case of my current book, I try to stick with names they would have had in those ages. For instance, my main character is named Emma, which means "one who heals" -- you can guess what she ends up as
        "In the contemporary world where things fall apart and the center will not hold, you have to imagine a community where there is no center." - John Green

Comment

possibly some of the reasons for jk's names is that many of the characters come from mythology, and legends...the giant squid, even hagrid! Some of them she may have just wrote that way, but some of them may have gotten names fromt their legends, which would have already been made to fit...
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but Argus Filch the caretaker of Hogwarts? Argus was the hundred-eyed watchman of Hera in Greek mythology. The way Argus Filch turns up unexpectedly whenever there's a mess, it could seem that he has a hundred eyes...
            "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
            Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

I know she(JK) got the name Hermione from her Shakespeare book and Harry potter from one of her neighbors in her childhood.I have recantly been thinking of a name I had never heard been used before: Arabella. Pretty, isnt it. Acording to one of the psycics that I know, that was my name in a past life, from when I was a pirate, (odd, isnt it?) but yea. any other really off the wall names? I just thought that one was pretty.
              ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
              Yes I'm a witch, deal with it! So mote it be! My other car is a broom. Blessed Be! A.D.

Comment

Did you know?
                http://www.babynames.com/name/ROSHAUN
                Had no idea a name like this really exists!

Comment

So Roshaun means "famous land" and "God Is Gracious". You could aply both to the charactor.... I wonder if DD knew this... Hey DD! Did you know this?
                  I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

I bet DD knew the meaning of the name and gave it to the character on purpose!

Comment

I think she did. It fits very well with his character.
                      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

What, as irony? *tries to think of something to say to prevent this from being a one-liner* Does the name Severus Snape have a special meaning? Just wondering because of his special role in HP. Hmm, that looks just about long enough...
                        "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
                        Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

severus snape doesn't even seem to be a NAME, in real life...but that doesn't mean there wasn't some meaning behind it, to the author...it's just not a real name. *is also hoping this post is of an appropriate length* of course, usually, by the time you finish wondering if it's a one liner, you've reached two lines...:P
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                          X