Grenfelzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fondue over intergalactic chat?

And just how in the heavens do you share a fondue pot over a live chat session via your tv and dvd player's intergalactic high speed internet connection? Last time I checked, the young wizards universe did not contain a holodeck....

Comment

Well how do you do anything with chocolate over an intergalactic chat, then?

Could it be some sort of game, or activity? What did Carmela mean when she told her alien friend that it was "Too early for Grenfelzing?" (I thought that was in one of the books...) Depending on what aliens use chocolate for, I wonder if it has anything to do with food at all... It's really hard to tell.
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

But it doesn't say that you do grenfelz over the intergalacticnet, does it? Sometimes I ask people over the internet if they, I don't know, play a musical instrument and like playing duets. Obviously I'm not gonna be able to play a duet with them, but it's information about them that I find interesting - and if these people are as obsessed with chocolate as the skinny dudes in W@W, the idea of melting chocolate down to slag and then adulterating it with pineapple must be horrifyingly fascinating!

Re: it being too early: OK, I'm used to eating chocolate before 7am, but most people aren't.
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

hm

I don't have a book with me right now, but isn't Carmela just "invited" to grenfelz -- over the intergalacticnet?

Comment

Man, when I read the books, I thought that grenfelzing was something very particular that people can do on the internet. Especially in the sense that Carmela was invited to participate in it on chatrooms and Kit is scandalised.

I wonder what the equivalent of FBI agents on the internet are for intergalactic chatrooms ...

Comment

kit is scandalized

I thought that Kit was only prepared to be scandalized - I mean in the sense that he hopes it doesn't rot her morals, but really has no idea himself what either grenfelzing or emfozzing are. For all he knows, it could be harmless.

They are both probably "informal" intergalacticnet slang of some kind, similar to our own internet abbreviations and acronyms. Kit doesn't hang around in chat rooms so he doesn't know the lingo.... similar to if I said roflol - and turned in explanation to say that it was like lol but more so - and having some internet noob wonder if roflol-ing was going to lead me down the slippery slope to degenerate living.

Comment

Well, she did manage to order a blaster from a commercial and set up a gate to the Crossings with the remote's help, who's to say she couldn't visit some alien and grenzfeld? It could be some sort of affectionate act likened to our 'kissing', only with chocolate. Chocolate is, after all, an aphrodisiac to other cultures, so I think it's safe to guess that this could be an intimate act, which of course would have Kit scandalized :P

Comment

Um

What if it is a combination of certain ideas what if it's a game while being a fon due thingy because in one of the books Nita or kit looks at the tv and sees a thing that looks like a fire hose with lights the hose can be use to carry the chocolate til the lights go off that's my thought thanx

Comment

Yeah, but then Mr. Rodrigues asks whatthe hoses are for and Carmela replies that she doesn't think they're hoses and he's scandalized.
                    I always thought it was something inappropriate. Cause seriously, who knows what 'Mela can get herself into with Pink Octopus Dude.
                    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                    "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                    "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

Good point

What was her thingy I forgot

Comment

So I was thinking that emmfozzing could be like something along the lines of an eBay-type deal. So grenfelzing would be like a chocolate trade. Possibly black market. Mela participating in illegal chocolate deals could possibly rot her morals...
                        But the line about it being too early to grenfelz kind of destroys that.

Unless... It could be too early to online shop (you know, like not until I've had my coffee) so its not totally impossible.
                        Not totally.

Comment

I agree with illiriam, actually. We do know that Carmela has been instructing her alien buddies in the appropriation of chocolate, so the idea of a chocolate "black market" is not all that far out there. That could explain where and how she got the laser dissociator, as well - from an emmfozzing ("black market") chat.

Or maybe that's just me imagining Carmela as a major chocolate smuggler on a galactic scale.
                          Light is truly the cosmic messenger, bringing the stories of distant objects to Earth.

Comment

Actually, I disagree. If it was some sort of chocolate black market, then why would Carmela say that it was 'too early to even THINK about grenfelzing"? I think it's some sort of stunt thing- maybe in a 'who-can-eat-the-most-chocolate' way.

You know how some people have shot-drinking contests? (A terminally bad idea, of course.) Well, perhaps emmfozing is along those lines, some sort of inebriating substance, and grenfelzing is specifically with chocolate. Don't get me wrong, I love Carmela as a chocolate trader, but I don't think that's what grenfelzing is.

After all, it was on Interglactic Open Chat....I suspect chocolate trading among silicon-based species uses slightly more, um, covert sources.

Comment

I'm not sure if Carmela could be a participant in a grenfelzing contest. I mean, chocolate does not have the same effects on humans as it does on silicon-based creatures, so she would have a completely unfair advantage.

Unless, of course, she was some kind of judge. Hmm, that would be interesting...

Of course, the "too early to even THINK about grenfelzing" could mean a lot of things, in a lot of different contexts. I doubt "too early" was meant as a standard of time (it is an intergalactic chat, after all.) She could have meant that it was "too early" in her relationship with a prospective buyer, hoping to scout him out so as to not get caught engaging in an illicit activity.
                              Light is truly the cosmic messenger, bringing the stories of distant objects to Earth.

Comment

Ooh, I didn't think about THAT angle! Prospective buyer....Good idea!
                                *looks at W@W* (that's page 65 in the paperback edition, btw)

Oh, but wait. We missed a word in the quote that indicates the "too early" meant time.

From the living room came the sound of laughter[...]"No," she said. "You've got to be kidding. It's too early here to even think about grenfelzing..."
                                Kit let his manual fall closed. "'Mela?" he said over the sound of alien laughter from the TV.
                                So obviously grenfelzing is not serious, like discussing chocolate trading would be It must be some sort of social game or something.
                                *oh please oh please oh please let grenfelzing be in AWoM, oh please oh please oh please...*
                                Last edited by SilveredBlue; February 3, 2010, 02:14:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X