Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So can we actually discuss the book now? (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So can we actually discuss the book now? (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Sorry to shout, but just to be sure nobody still waiting can miss it and get upset.

So. *bounces* I've been hoping to see a version of the Lone Power actually acknowledge what happened in HW, so I really enjoyed that. Actually, now that we have, and with the... mutual snarking going on, I have this amusing mental image of a future confrontation in which someone (maybe Kit) finds it appropriate to reiterate that they made promises to Life... and then to add thoughtfully, "Come to think of it, we promised you too." Since they did, in HW. "Stop them. Stop me." "We will." It would be interesting, anyway....

"Did I say 'You can't do that?' I meant, you can, but it's stupid." Is it just me, or did Esemeli sound startlingly like Q at this point? Which I suppose isn't that odd, but it made me blink.

Ambivalence. Can she actually tell much more clearly than Nita and Kit whether it was the force of the Binding Oath or a way of doing the right things without looking like it? (Either way, I rather doubt getting conked on the head with a stick was in the plan. ...Not a coconut though. )

The Lone Power, so far as I can tell, was still hanging around when Nita and Kit (for the second time, cf. A Wizard Abroad) fled a transformation they weren't ready for yet. How much does function follow form? If this fragment was present in Alaalid shape as the change took place, did it also go "the whole way the One had in mind" -- another fragment no longer (if that means anything to it) resisting? Does this make any sense at all?

There was something enchanting about that last little bit regarding the kek.

I couldn't help the feeling DD was answering or at least addressing a lot of questions people had been asking. What was up with the shadows of the Lone Power (actually, what I wanted to ask was more "Do we get to see a redeemed version being helpful besides sa'Rrahh fighting the Old Serpent?" but I'm weird that way), the logistics of conversational Speech and saying something you think is true and isn't (I suppose the verb tenses that started coming up in Alone began that), whether Dairine was still connected to the motherboard and mobiles, that sort of thing. I'm probably forgetting others due to being up too late.

Carmela's interactions with the aliens were utterly hilarious. I loved them.

I wonder if having been temporarily put out a couple years before had any effect on the sun? Did it tell Roshaun about that, or did he already know, or neither?

The possibilities both that Roshaun was on a Learning Experience regarding his own attitude and that he was a Learning Experience for Dairine regarding her own were discussed once the excerpts went up. Looks like the latter especially is well confirmed -- his calling her arrogant, Dairine having skimmed too fast and missed the report of what had happened to his planet long ago, after she was so annoyed at his apparently having neglected to read the information on her family.

Actually, the guests on earth lead me to another point... I mentioned questions being answered. Interestingly, while the plot questions specific to this book were resolved quite satisfactorily, the ones that were left open at the end of Alone... still seem to be open. The weirdness around Kit's house and Ponch especially is still unexplained, in particular.

And it opens up more; this book, far more so than the previous ones, seems to set up clearly for the next. I suppose it's partly Spot's little cliffhangery thing; it's also, of course, the disappearance of so many wizards in positions of authority that Dairine can't find anybody before the level of a Galactic Coordinator to authorize the intervention with the sun, and the "darkness" that wasn't sunspots interfering with them.... (Heh. So we've got Starsnuffer and Kindler of Wildfires again -- not to mention Filif, like Fred, being temporarily under the impression that Earth was a haven of sorts.... I loved Filif. Especially when he made Dairine and Roshaun stop and breathe and listen to each other.)

And they got around their power limits by using the worldgate the Powers "subsidized." That was brilliant. Brilliantly set up. And so very, very funny.

Are the books accelerating? I remarked at some point earlier that it was no wonder the characters needed a vacation, considering that we had:

A Wizard Abroad -- summer
    The Wizard's Dilemma -- fall immediately following
    A Wizard Alone -- that January
    and now Wizard's Holiday during spring break, which I'm guessing is sometime in late March.

It looks to me as if the timing for Wizards at War will be even closer. Nita and Kit are home a few days early, so there are some days left of the break -- and of Roshaun's, Sker'ret's, and Filif's time on Earth. Somehow I don't see Sker'ret wanting to go home early; Roshaun rather less so! With all those wizards missing and Spot "uh-oh!"ing... It certainly looks to me as if the action's set up to continue pretty immediately. I strongly suspect Dairine's guests are still going to be in on things when the next plot breaks out.

Sorry to shout, but just to be sure nobody still waiting can miss it and get upset.

So. *bounces* I've been hoping to see a version of the Lone Power actually acknowledge what happened in HW, so I really enjoyed that. Actually, now that we have, and with the... mutual snarking going on, I have this amusing mental image of a future confrontation in which someone (maybe Kit) finds it appropriate to reiterate that they made promises to Life... and then to add thoughtfully, "Come to think of it, we promised you too." Since they did, in HW. "Stop them. Stop me." "We will." It would be interesting, anyway....

"Did I say 'You can't do that?' I meant, you can, but it's stupid." Is it just me, or did Esemeli sound startlingly like Q at this point? Which I suppose isn't that odd, but it made me blink.

Ambivalence. Can she actually tell much more clearly than Nita and Kit whether it was the force of the Binding Oath or a way of doing the right things without looking like it? (Either way, I rather doubt getting conked on the head with a stick was in the plan. ...Not a coconut though. )

The Lone Power, so far as I can tell, was still hanging around when Nita and Kit (for the second time, cf. A Wizard Abroad) fled a transformation they weren't ready for yet. How much does function follow form? If this fragment was present in Alaalid shape as the change took place, did it also go "the whole way the One had in mind" -- another fragment no longer (if that means anything to it) resisting? Does this make any sense at all?

There was something enchanting about that last little bit regarding the kek.

I couldn't help the feeling DD was answering or at least addressing a lot of questions people had been asking. What was up with the shadows of the Lone Power (actually, what I wanted to ask was more "Do we get to see a redeemed version being helpful besides sa'Rrahh fighting the Old Serpent?" but I'm weird that way), the logistics of conversational Speech and saying something you think is true and isn't (I suppose the verb tenses that started coming up in Alone began that), whether Dairine was still connected to the motherboard and mobiles, that sort of thing. I'm probably forgetting others due to being up too late.

Carmela's interactions with the aliens were utterly hilarious. I loved them.

I wonder if having been temporarily put out a couple years before had any effect on the sun? Did it tell Roshaun about that, or did he already know, or neither?

The possibilities both that Roshaun was on a Learning Experience regarding his own attitude and that he was a Learning Experience for Dairine regarding her own were discussed once the excerpts went up. Looks like the latter especially is well confirmed -- his calling her arrogant, Dairine having skimmed too fast and missed the report of what had happened to his planet long ago, after she was so annoyed at his apparently having neglected to read the information on her family.

Actually, the guests on earth lead me to another point... I mentioned questions being answered. Interestingly, while the plot questions specific to this book were resolved quite satisfactorily, the ones that were left open at the end of Alone... still seem to be open. The weirdness around Kit's house and Ponch especially is still unexplained, in particular.

And it opens up more; this book, far more so than the previous ones, seems to set up clearly for the next. I suppose it's partly Spot's little cliffhangery thing; it's also, of course, the disappearance of so many wizards in positions of authority that Dairine can't find anybody before the level of a Galactic Coordinator to authorize the intervention with the sun, and the "darkness" that wasn't sunspots interfering with them.... (Heh. So we've got Starsnuffer and Kindler of Wildfires again -- not to mention Filif, like Fred, being temporarily under the impression that Earth was a haven of sorts.... I loved Filif. Especially when he made Dairine and Roshaun stop and breathe and listen to each other.)

And they got around their power limits by using the worldgate the Powers "subsidized." That was brilliant. Brilliantly set up. And so very, very funny.

Are the books accelerating? I remarked at some point earlier that it was no wonder the characters needed a vacation, considering that we had:

A Wizard Abroad -- summer
    The Wizard's Dilemma -- fall immediately following
    A Wizard Alone -- that January
    and now Wizard's Holiday during spring break, which I'm guessing is sometime in late March.

It looks to me as if the timing for Wizards at War will be even closer. Nita and Kit are home a few days early, so there are some days left of the break -- and of Roshaun's, Sker'ret's, and Filif's time on Earth. Somehow I don't see Sker'ret wanting to go home early; Roshaun rather less so! With all those wizards missing and Spot "uh-oh!"ing... It certainly looks to me as if the action's set up to continue pretty immediately. I strongly suspect Dairine's guests are still going to be in on things when the next plot breaks out.

Comment

Ooh! That's a good thing!! I know that originally I though Roshaun was evil.... FIne. I admit it. I was wrong. But so was whoever said Filif was gonna be the evil one. So there. But I liked all of them, even Roshaun who turned out to be surprisingly like Dairine. But it leaves you hanging.... I want the second one!!!! Why was Spot Uh Oh ing?!?!!?! GRRR.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
      "To youth and freedom!" A popular pirates toast.
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

Well, I rather think I was wrong about grenfelzing's actual nature being a bit of a joke on the reader.

And another thing left hanging, though not something that hasn't happened before... the Binding Oath and its consequences. Very much like the blank-check spell in SYW, in a way, in that the book ends with something you know a character's going to have to pay for... Only we know that more clearly now, I suppose, since we've already seen one book's plot center on the consequences of the first time. But we don't know how this one will play out, of course....

Comment

I'm a bit suspicious of the whole "have to save the Sun NOW" thing. Not that I think Roshaun was lying--I just wonder if the intervention was really necessary--if it was some sort of elaborate hoax on the part of the Lone Power (or Whoever) that tricked the wizards into doing more harm than good. Diane seems to have cleared that up by having Dairine's dad ask the question before they leave, and they were given an authorization and all, but I still wonder....

I'm also intrigued to see how the Binding Oath works out. And Kit's reaction to it. Not to be putting words in the Writer's mouth, but I've always wondered if he felt a bit guilty that the blank-check spell was his idea, but Nita ended up almost dying for it. Plus, she was fueling spells with "a year of my life per shot" in HW, and now going ahead and doing a Binding Oath that may have some very serious consequences later. Granted, none of this is his fault--she's not telling him ahead of time--but I wonder if he might feel responsible anyway: watching your partner sacrifice herself over and over again while you have to be a bystander has got to wear on your nerves after a while.

Also, Carmela rules.

Comment

yeah im not sure why spot was uh-ohing but it's got me going i finished the book in three hours time and what are you talking about roshaun's not evil just spoiled. but im sure theres a reason why all these wizards are missing but i think it's good and i like how the ending was sort of a cliffhanger. and that is coming from a cliffhanger hater.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Comment

I actually was faked out into wondering if Roshaun might have been half of a prince-and-the-pauper switch, without any wizard powers.

And while the subsidized worldgates are a nice "out," I can't help wondering just who or what is paying for the subsidy. Nothing's ever just for free.

And yeah, the pace of the books seems to be changing, probably due to DD actually working on them in series for the first time. First arcing we've had and more references to events past and future. It's fun. I like it. But I'm a tv junkie and comics reader and as a result, a continuity-worshipper.

Kaatje, I actually had a completely different reaction to the "save the Sun" thing--as in--oh, geez, you mean someone has to do something like that every time there's unusual sunspot activity? And normally the infrastructure would make certain that nobody down at Dairine's level would ever even know. But THE ENTIRE INFRASTRUCTURE'S GONE.

I have to say my heart skipped a beat when Dairine was trying to get authorization and even Irina wasn't around. And I couldn't help feeling very very sorry for the Galactic Arm Advisory who's either left taking care of the entire Arm's business single-handedly, or has a very good answer-machine-spell.

Loved the keks-scene, too.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Hmm. Now, I did get the idea that the solar intervention was unusual. As a matter of fact, with the interference from "dark... not sunspots," I'm not sure the Lone Power didn't kick the CMEs into higher gear or something. I'd be surprised if the intervention was in fact a mistake, but I suppose it's a possibility.

And yeah, the Galactic Arm Coordinator would appear to be covering quite a bit... though I suppose it would be a minority of the calls that would actually push as far as Dairine's did.

Does anybody else find it oddly amusing that she had to hunt down authorization to mess with the sun -- but in HW, she not only messed around with the local star (granted all the local wizards were hanging around and working with her...) but stopped the universe from expanding without really consulting on it?

...Actually, hmmm. I wonder if there was "one of those complex states" Nita referred to involved? I've always thought that it should have taken longer than it seemed to for all the rest of the light to get there.

Comment

Yea! i finally got the book. Now i wish i hadn't read it becuase now i have to wait for the next one to come out. Though this book made me like Dairine a lot more and whats up with her and Roshaun? Good thing he didn't turn out to be as arrogent as i thought. Is Nita never ever gonna date? I'm just waiting for her and Kit to finally realize each other . It can't hurt to hope ..a gurl can dream. I loved the other two cultural exchange wizards and there trips to the mall. I can imagen how crazy that must have been.
                  I like how none of them really get really depressed about Nita's mom dying. That would have made me sad.
                  What's with spot? I dislike cliff hangers but i guess you can't live without them. I just wish i hadn't read the book cuase now i can't wait to read wizards at war *sigh* i guess i'll just have to wait.
                  *brenna*
                  "To find the sun, you must face the rain"

Comment

They never really got depressed!?!?!?!? In Alone Nita Dairine and their dad were depressed A LOT!!!! Nita would barely even listen to kit!!! And Dairiene was cutting school!!! Their dad didn't even wanna get up in the morning!!!! If that's not depressed then I don't know what is.

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                    *Agent~M*
                    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                    "I could live

Comment

YES!, I finished it!!!!!! It was really good.. ...
                      had to get that out of my system. Marniebrown, your right Alone and Dilemma, both showed that Nita, Dari and their Dad were very depressed. They are coping with it very well in this book and are trying to move on and live their lives. What was really satifiying (sp?) was that Nita and Kit semmed to be better friends than ever, exspecially at the begining. Its been a long time since we've seen them just be friends, with out all of the Powers on their shoulders. But, i couldn't help wondering why Kit didn't seem to see the Binding Oath's effects on the person who uses it, coming. I mean Nita is always doing stuff like that. I have a feeling he is going to be really upset about it in the next book, and blame himself for not expecting the consequences for using a oath that binds a Power. This book sets up nicely for the next one, can't wait for it!

" Duct tape, the stuff that holds the universe together."A Wizard Alone by Diane Duane
                      - Serena

Comment

yep, mela definitely rocks
                        also, i think that there is alot of the 'bystander'stuff on both sides(remember dilemma?)

i'm the queen of insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

those uh ohs... dari is gonna be in it soooooo deep

i'm the queen of insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well... It might not be Dairiene, But wait! I just remembered! What about the fact that all the adult wizards have gone "missing", if PK is right and the next book starts off almost exactly where it left off.... Then all the younger wizards will be fighting the war without the adults.

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
                            "I could live

Comment

*blinks* Actually, I was assuming that that was where the adult/administrative wizards had disappeared to -- that whatever crisis they're dealing with is related to the beginning of the war.

Of course, there is the disappearance of Carl in The Book of Night with Moon, so it isn't unprecedented for senior wizards to be (apparently) relocated involuntarily by the Lone Power as part of an attack. Still, this is a bit more widespread.

(As a side note, I've always suspected the local aspect of the Lone Power wherever Carl got dropped was deeply irritated, too, since Carl seems to have been rather productive during the absence.)

Comment

Working...
                              X