Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that A: book 5 is supposed to be shorter than 4 (by a hundred pages or so), and B: the book is supposed to come out around early January or February. Maybe I was worng, maybe I'm right...I thought I heard this from a personal interview with JKR, though.
    About the whole speech thing, I was a little sad about that too...I've always really liked the idea of the Speech, and always wanted to be able to speak it myself (okay, okay, that's really sad...don't laugh!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ). I think its because in the beginning of the series, Diane was concentrating more on the magic in the stories, not so much the stories themselves. But in the last few books, the plots have become more detailed, and the magic put more to the background. Don't get me wrong, the magic is still an important part of her books, but the plot have overrun the magic and become the main themes of her books.

Ugh...sorry Mad King Soup....The _Redemption_ explanation another time. Soon, I promise...I'm just getting kicked off of my computer at the moment....

~Em~

"But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who trust their hearts a measure." Diane Duane, A_Wizard's_Dilemma.
    "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

As wizards develop in the Speech, they'd stop perceiving it as different, just like people who become fluent in any other language.

After a while, a wizard would only notice the meaning of the Speech and not the actual mechanics of the language (unless of course they paid special attention).

Do *you* think about the structure of the alphabet and the conventions of punctuation when reading something?

Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
      -- The Book of Forgotten Things
      Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.
      -- The Vorlon Ambassador's Aide

Comment

But I know what Em means...I loved the descriptions of the spells being worked. I miss the magic! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

*Ella*
        "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind."
        -Martin Luther King, Jr.
        *Ella*
        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
        What could mean more than this?"
        --Bright Eyes

Comment

You can always pester Diane to add more descriptions of the structure of magic.

-- The Book of Forgotten Things
          -- The Vorlon Ambassador's Aide

Comment

yea i know...i want to learn how to speak the speech...mabye then i would have another fictional language that i could swear in.....heh heh heh heh

but i still use all the speech that i can in everyday life...i rarely say hi, i say dai stiho. its great when people cant figure out what youre saying, and they think your putting them down.

erised straeh ruoy tub ecaf ruoy ton wohs i
            PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
            Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Yeah, I could, but I'm not really the pestering type. (Which is a total lie). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
              P.S. Caitlin-What other fictional languages do you swear in? I need something here, my mom won't let me say crap and I need something to say!
              *Ella*
              "' Don't be afraid of death, Winnie. Rather, be afraid of the unlived life.'"
              -Tuck Everlasting
              *Ella*
              --Bright Eyes

Comment

You could always say "baQa'!" (pronounced "b'aka"). It's a general Klingon expletive, equivalent to saying "crap!". Unlike the English version, however, there is no fecal reference involved.

Or you could use "Ni!" of "Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail" fame.

Or "Shazbot!" from "Mork and Mindy".

Worlebird
                ------------------------------------
                At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers into a computer room with a single distribution of BSD Unix. Upon opening the room after seven days, we found all ten programmers dead, clutching each others' throats, and thirteen new flavors of BSD.
                Worlebird
                ------------------------------------
                "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

Comment

you could always also say
                    d'arvit from artemis fowl, or vhai'd from BONWM, or...... um..... well ill have to think and get more later

erised straeh ruoy tub ecaf ruoy ton wohs i
                    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                    Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I did always like d'arvit.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

*Ella*
                      *Ella*
                      --Bright Eyes

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

Kinda like math, isn't it--at first, when learning the stuff, you have to write it all down. Eventually you progress to muttering to yourself and counting on your fingers, and eventually (if you're lucky) you can do equations in your head. Obviously this has all sorts of exceptions, but to me it's a good analogy.

Inside every cynic there's an idealist desperately yearning to be let out, and when they are let out they're usually a real pain and cause all sorts of trouble. --Chris Boucher

Comment

some of the problem on paper except for very simple problems), I wonder whether Diane modeled this on her own 'workspace'.

Nathan

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
                            Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

I don't miss the speech as much as the discriptions of the magic

The sense of expectation,of anticipation,of impatient, overwhelming potential grew all around them as the silence grew...slowly undergoing a trasformation into a blend of delight and terror and power that could be breathed like air,or seen as shading now inhabiting every color, a presence inhabitng every shape.
                              from DW

The last 2 books have less of a poetic feel than the first 4 and I haven't decided if I like it or not

*Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*
                              *Wooosh I be polydactial yo!*

Comment

Redemption of Athalus, but I really like The Amber Spyglass
                                And as I sit and talk to you, I see your face go white
                                This shadow hanging over me is no trick of the light
                                This spectre on my back shall soon be free
                                The dead have come to claim a debt from thee
                                --The Pogues--

Comment

Working...
                                X