No announcement yet.

Nita's Mom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry's grandmother, and his ancestor, the first mayor of New York were two different people, both wizards. (I've just checked that in HW.) I wonder if Carl knew about Annie when he told Harry that. As for whether Annie and her grandmother knew about each other, that sounds like a question for the next DD chat .

The LP (if you trust him) implied in Dilemma that Nita would forget she'd ever been a wizard if she gave up her wizardry, but that Dairine would remember that Nita had been a wizard. So yes, Tom or Carl would have remembered, and they didn't say it came equally from both sides.
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Okay, This isn't really on topic but here is a nice quote that seems to go with this topic but most likely doesn't.

People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.-Elizabeth Kublar Ross
      (Honorary member of the Breaking then fixing chime foundation.)XD
      "Everyone has a sanity threshold after which they turn into Young Wizard fans and talk in topics like this all day and meet people like PM and Kathy and Gryphon and Caitlin and Lord o

Comment

ow that does work!! On so many levels!! wow!! Thanks for that Carazyman!! So what its saying is I have to swollow a flash light?? lol hahaha sorry I had to say it, I still think its a great quote though.
        Fox
        God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

*bows* why thank you fox. now remember in dw when carl(not me!) told nita that if she broke the oath that she would forget everything about being a wizard maybe that affects everyone they forgot about her. or maybe this was before tom and carl's time but not likely.
          (Honorary member of the Breaking then fixing chime foundation.)XD
          "Everyone has a sanity threshold after which they turn into Young Wizard fans and talk in topics like this all day and meet people like PM and Kathy and Gryphon and Caitlin and Lord o

Comment

But in Dilemma, the Lone Power says that if Nita gives up her wizardry, Dairine and their parents will remember, but that Dairine will probably be less obvious about it once Nita is no longer a wizard.

That suggests that people around do remember (maybe not her parents though) even when the wizard herself forgets.

Comment

(Hello! I'm new. can't you tell?) I read the other posts and I really do like the idea of Nita's Mom having once been a wizard. Don't if that's true but I like it. And yes The wizardry does exsist on her father's side but that doesn't mean her mother's side didn't have any wizards.
              I also agree with Peter Murray that even if a wizard forgets the people around her do not have to forget themselves.
              There is a thoery which states that if anyone ever discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by somehting even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another which states that this has

Comment

As someone mentioned already, there is the feeling of loss and knowledge that they are missing something that the wizards who lost the Art have. And Nita's Mom did not have any such feelings. So however she knew the T.Pig, it cannot have been that she was a wizard before.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa:
                  I really like the idea of Nita's mom being a wizard, and I hope it's true. And because my mind works in convoluted ways, I thought, "Well, maybe Nita's mom and Ponch are somehow connected, maybe she made him the way he is a long time ago when she was still a wizard." Anyways, that's my only idea.
                  Wizards can nottell lies

Comment

Originally posted by RaTouth:
                    I allways thought it was the Pig and the Lone Power who had history. And presumeably the Pig would have met everyone, being everyware at once.
                    None of the Powers That Be Remembers creating the Pig, but the Power That Has Been could tell a lie

Comment

Originally posted by ~Z:
                      Wizards can nottell lies
                      They can, but it's just really, really stupid if your words can reshape reality. Also, the one wouldn't be to pleased. In one book it said that it was, if not impossible, at least really dangerous to lie in the speech.

I always thought that the Pig was just stuck in there for fun, as something no one could explain or fathom.

Comment

It's almost certainly not possible for a wizard to lie in the Speech... not because their behavior is constrained, but because what's said in the Speech tends to become reality, so an intended deception becomes the truth.

Wizards develop a habit of telling the truth in other languages for just that reason, as well as because lying perverts the purpose of speech. There's nothing preventing wizards from lying in natural languages besides themselves.
                        Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
                        Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hello,I'm new here so some of this might refer to older posts...
                          If Nita's mom was a wizard, and then lost it, somehow, no one would remember it, i don't think...
                          In DW: "Any relationships you have with other wizards will imediately collapse."--Carl to Nita (p245)
                          If Kit could remember that Nita existed, outside the wizardry, i would think he would keep the friendship going. They are friends, even if they work together on wizardries.
                          So I would assume that if Nita's mom was a wizard and lost it, Tom and Carl would have no knowledge of it.
                          Which means that their comments about all the magic coming through Nita's Dad were true--to the best of their knowledge...
                          It's not lying if you don't know the truth!</span>
                          ~~~~~~~~
                          Should the Transcendent Pig be reading this post...What's the meaning of life?

Comment

It looks as if, when a wizard loses wizardry, that wizard doesn't remember it, but those who knew them as wizards still do. I can't tell you what I'm getting that from, as you've only read the first six books yet. (Besides, this is the TWD forum, so no spoilers allowed for later books.)

So if Nita had lost her wizardry in DW, it looks as if Kit would have remembered what they did, all of it, but she met him through wizardry and might not even remember they were friends. Though Kit might try talking to her and trying to make friends again, as they were at the same school; assuming he could stand to do it.

And if Tom and Carl had known that Betty was once a wizard, they would presumably still know, though they might keep it from her family for some reason.

Comment

It looks as if, when a wizard loses wizardry, that wizard doesn't remember it, but those who knew them as wizards still do.

[Spoilers follow, highlight to read: <span class="ev_code_WHITE"> Assuming you're thinking of Tom & Carl in W@W, you don't think that was in some ways a special case? For one thing, Tom remembers Nita, which, since he wouldn't have met her without wizardry, he would not according to DW; he's still living with Carl, who presumably he met through wizardry (OK, the logistics of having him *not* would be complicated, but him not remembering Nita would be fairly simple and almost as heartbreaking); he even remembers wizardry, he simply no longer believes in it. I don't think that's quit the same as losing wizardry altogether, so I think there's still room for the possibility that everyone, including other wizards, forgets. I don't think there's strong canon either way, at least.</span> ]

On the other hand, even if Betty had been a wizard and then lost it, there would be a record of it in her family line - I mean, T&C don't know it comes from Harry because Annie's a wizard. Or, actually, they might, but they give a perfectly plausible other source of information. There's certainly no reason to suggest that Nita and Dairine's talent comes from somewhere other than Harry's; but if it came from Betty's side, she'd have other relations who were wizards, and Tom and Carl would know that, too, since they've clearly been researching

Alternatively, of course, T&C could just be well up on their wizardly history of NYC, Harry happened to mention that he was related to that mayor, and they clicked. :P
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Who knows, maybe Advisories and Seniors regularly keep up with stuff like wizards that end up in political positions, like the mayor. It'd be kind of interesting to find out more about the Callahan geneaology. Maybe they have wizards all the way back.
                                Carl to Nita, "Any relationships you have with other wizards will imediately collapse." This is open to interpretation. It could mean a)it would be as if she had never known Kit, Tom, Carl etc. at all or b)any relationships based on wizardry would basically just fall apart. Probably even the very nature of those relationships would be drastically altered. In W@W when Nita checked up on Tom, I kind of got the impression that he was looking at her as just a kid, from an adult's point of view. As a Senior he knows better, and he and Carl obviously have great respect for the younger group.
                                I lurk. It's what I do.
                                "Always put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

Comment

Working...
                                X