Nita's Mom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nita's Mom?

I was re-reading tWD and near the end, when Nita and her mom are in Timeheart talking to the Transdescent Pig, the following conversation takes place:

(Nita):"Mom, this is the Transdescent Pig. Chao, this is my mother."
    "We've met," said the Pig, nodding in a friendly way to Nita's mom.
    Nita's mother smiled back. "You know, we have," she said, "but for the life of me I can't remember when."
    "You will," said the Pig. It glanced at Nita. "She had a lot of remembering to do. Not right away...but soon."
    Nita's mother nodded as well, gazing at the Pig with an expression of slowly dawning recognition. It glanced at Nita. "They all remember me eventually," it said. "The way they all remember the Lone One. We have history."

(This is on the third-and second-last pages of the orangy hardcover edition.)

Anyway, it struck me as odd that the Pig and Nita's mom had history. Stranger still was the fact the Nita's mom, a nonwizard, and the Pig had met, in a time she didn't remember but would shortly be reminded of.
    I'm probably wrong, but I think that a long time ago, Nita's mom was a wizard who gave up her wizardry for something. Obviously it was before she met Nita's dad, so it was probably kind of early--probably before she was sixteen or seventeen. I also thought the Pig's remark about Nita's mom having "a lot of remembering to do" implied that there was an aspect of her earlier life that was tied closely to the Pig and the Lone One; also, you could interpret the "they" the Pig referred to as many things, including the nonwizards who used to practice the Art but gave it up for various reasons and no longer remember.
    Anyone agree/disagree? Comments?
    I'm crying cuz things aren't how
    they used to be
    she said,
    "The battle's almost won
    and we're only several miles from the sun..."

I think that it means that everyone has history with the Transdescent pig. no matter if they are/were a wizard or not. Kind of like the LP. everything has heard of it. in some form
    Dai stiho cousins
    ~~~Ezra

Comment

A wizard who gives up Wizardry looses the memories and the powers, but keeps a feeling of loss without knowing the cause. Am I right? I think it was actually mentioned in Deep Wizardry.

I see what WRR is saying, but that's too much of the obvious, and it doesn't answer everything. So, yeah, everyone has a 'history' with the Lone Power or TP, but not from personal experience. The TP also mentioned that she has a lot of remembering to do, and it may be because she was a wizard.

Clever, Ankaa. I never thought of that.
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

yeah. i wonder what she did? it would be ironic if she gave up her wizardry to save her mom...
        they used to be
        she said,
        "The battle's almost won

Comment

If you remember it was mentioned that the pig is everywhere at everytime! It only follows that the pig follows everyone at everytime a sort of this is your life. what i mean is the transdescent pig follows everyone at everytime throught their entire life but is unnoticed by them (unless it wants to be). In timeheart Nita's mum seems to remember the pig has been with her always (through her entire life). that was my take on it!
          Fox
          God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

If Nita's mom was a wizard, why did she give up the art? I mean, I kind of doubt that she gave it up to save her mom because... Well, its possible, but I think its unlikly.
            Also... Fox has got a point. Though I don't totally agree with the concept. It says in the second book that The Powers, and probably the trancendant pig, are out of the flow of time, so one thing doesnt have to happen after the other. And the Powers and the tp can slip into the moment of time that they want. So I don't know if the pig follows people through their WHOLE lifetime. Or, I could be wrong. The tp might not be outside of the timeflow, just trancendent inside... Though that doesnt make much sense.
            What Nita's mom has to remember, you got me. Another one of DD'S secrets maybe? hehe. Think on it yall!
            ----------------------------------------------
            Member of the DDFTQOTW foundation.

Forever and Always
            Nella

Comment

I think the transdescence thing is that the Pig could be everywhere at once, if he wanted to be. would anyone want to do that, follow everyone all the time? that's a bit of a waste of eternity...
              they used to be
              she said,
              "The battle's almost won

Comment

i always thought of the T'Pig as a living record of everything!everbody and everytime! But in that case why would you need the T'Pig if you have Timeheart? Thats what I could not figure out. Maybe I'm wrong and he/she/it is not a living record of everything? God knows!
                Foxy
                God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

well...if the Pig was a living record of everything, Kit wouldn't've been able to tell him the three truths, even with the glede. maybe t'pig doesn't really have a purpose. maybe he was created out of sheer boredom, and exists out of amusement with the mortal words of sequential time. we don't know, and that's what makes it interesting.
                  they used to be
                  she said,
                  "The battle's almost won

Comment

If Nita's Mom was once a wizard herself, but has forgotten about it, why did Carl say that the talent for wizardry comes through Harry's side of the family? Was he just being kind to Betty, who once had wizardry herself, but lost it and the memory of it?

Ankaa said:
                    that's a bit of a waste of eternity...
                    Well, considering how long eternity is (infinite) what else can you do with it but try to use it up? You can't succeed, after all - it's infinite. And in the Pig's case, he's got to have something to do, since he can apparently remember what he will do later; he doesn't treat time as sequential. To him, judging by what he said to Kit, the future and the past seem to be happening now.
                    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I really like the idea of Nita's mom being a wizard, and I hope it's true. And because my mind works in convoluted ways, I thought, "Well, maybe Nita's mom and Ponch are somehow connected, maybe she made him the way he is a long time ago when she was still a wizard." Anyways, that's my only idea.
                      Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                      "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                      "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

He probably didn't know about the glede, because he is only every where and anywhere in the normal universes and where Kit found it seems like an inbetween universe, like a limbo type place. Also, he is everywhere at the same time, but it seems as if he only has physical forms where and when he wants to. He could also possibly be everywhen and anywhen.

Comment

even though it would take a LOT to make the Pig bored, I think that all the same...actually, I dunno. I was about to say "I don't think he'd have it done already", but he's everywhere and everywhen. like the Powers...
                          they used to be
                          she said,
                          "The battle's almost won

Comment

I'm probably wrong... But, I believe that the Pig did say that he is bored. Or something along those lines...
                            I'll have to check...

Comment

I allways thought it was the Pig and the Lone Power who had history. And presumeably the Pig would have met everyone, being everyware at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X