No announcement yet.

Wizards and Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love the library but the ones near me arent all that great. The community library is to far away for me to walk to and i cant yet drive so it is hard for me to get there. The school library... well we dont really have a technical library. They are called "Media Centers" and have books which are mostly for research and then a gazillion computers. They dont really carry many fictional books.

I do, however, love the bookstore. I would spend hours in there and just sit and read and read and read....
    however, the bookstore can be slightly costly so i cant wait till i can drive so i can go to the library without having to bug my parents to take me

a question: does anyone else LOVE the smell of old books? A lot of the books we read in school are older copies and you open them and you can just smell the many years it has been read, over and over again. The kids in my English class hate the smell, but i love it... am i crazy or does anyone else agree?
    There's only us, there's only this
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss,
    No other road
    No other way
    NO DAY BUT TODAY
    (from the Broadway musical - RENT)

Comment

I ADORE the smell of old books. I don't think there's really anything quite as intoxicating. It's fun to just sit there and inhale. Dad thinks I'm weird, when he walks in and sees me sniffing a book, but I just love it. They should make perfume like that. XD

Comment

Oh goodness yes. I just love books in general, there is nothing better than the smell of a book. I don't care if it is old, used, new, ect. There is just that smell that makes you feel all good in side.

I love book stores, I could probably live at one if I had the money. Couldn't you just imagine having a rented room or something above a book store(instead of a bar or something) Just being able to finish a book, then wander down stairs in search of the next things to read.

Now just if a manual would find me, I could truelly be happy. A book that never runs out of information, a never ending book. Ok I am drooling now.

There is only one thing I think I truely hate, and that is when you open a book to find it has had a horrible previous owner. Like your reading and there marks, stains, rips, DOG EARS!! Make me want to become the Book Nazi(Instead of soup nazi) "You ruin book. NO MORE BOOKS FOR YOU! I will now take your library card."
        I think Librarys should have a new type of job. Book inspector. When a book is returned they look through it to make sure it has not been staind, dog eared, ripped, ect. That way they always know who has done it if there is a problem.

And I am rambling so I will stop now.
        "to serve another is nobility to serve ones self is self preservation"-me
        http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../YWgifava1.gif

Comment

Well, stains and tears I hate. Anything that makes the book harder to read. But I'm sort of up in the air on dog-earred pages. Not only can they give a book even more character, but they can sometimes alert you to something on the page that someone thought was important that you might have otherwise missed.

I'm the same way with notes in the margins. If they're appropriate and, most importantly, in pencil, I love them. It's sometimes nice to know what someone else was thinking as they read something or other. I don't like it when people mistreat books.

Old book smell is nice. Old book glue. Fun stuff.
          ---------------------------
          ~
          And we go on...

Comment

I love libraries, but i'm not in walking distance of one. The one I go to most often just throws the books together. They are divided my kids and other. The rest is organised by author. My library also doesn't encourage reading there. They have like two chairs that are realy hard. They also don't take much care of the books. I borow books missing pages in them. It makes me upset that they keep them on the shelf and don't but a new one. I also find Borders a comfortable place, because they don't mind if you just read the books. I'd say it's more of books being my comfort zone then Libraries.

Comment

Fox- Well I live in Michigan not to far away forme flint AND a lot of peopele are poor (un like me)
              and all the books small like PMs feet!

Comment

Libraries are wonderfulness...at least I think so...which is probably why I'm trying to create one in my room with all the books I buy...LOL

Where better can you check out a book without actually buying it? If it's good then I'll go get a copy new, but I don't want to shell out lots of money for a bad book...and its nice they let you read them in the bookstores but...it's not the same as a library, people talking loudly, and drinking coffee and looking at the pretty covers and not actually reading the books...LOL

No, libraries are sanctuaries...and when you think abou it, those books have passed through so many hands...who knows who else shares the same favorite book as you, or was inspired by the same ones...maybe someone who read the same copy I did went off to become a famous astronaut or surgeon or something...and I'm reading the same copy...wow.

The books in my library are seriously old...but they take care of them...they never have missing pages.

Comment

Working...
                X