Wizards and Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizards and Libraries

The other day as I was walking into my local public library, I flashed back to the opening chapter of SYWTBAW and realized that I have always felt a closeness to the library just like Nita. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Where I live, the children's wing of the public library is as magical a place as I've ever been to. I wonder if all my trips to libraries through the years have been a subconscious attempt to find my own Manual without me knowing it.

You aren't alone! I love my library, and am there every couple of days. It has a kind of tent for the little kids to read in, and is so cool! Where would we be without libraries?

Comment

I absolutely LOVE the library. Any library, school or public. The problem is...the librarians hate me. You'll never guess why: I'm too quiet. Isn't that weird? Don't most librarians like it when people are quiet? Oh well...I still like the library, and if I get my normal spot in the corner, I never have to see the librarians.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Seabiscuit, as a working library staff member, I'd 10000x rather have you, quietly reading in the corner, than children who come in with their parents and immediately begin to run, scream, and cause chaos, while their parents do nothing to keep them from misbehaving. Go ahead, ask me about some of my other pet peeves. I dare ya.
        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

If Seabiscuit wont I will, I DARE YOU TO TELL ME YOUR OTHER PET PEEVES!!!!!

There I said it so come on then what are they?

Oh I love the library, well the one at home anyway. the one here at uni is huge but it does not have that same feel about it.
          Fox
          God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Libraries ARE magic.

Some of my favorite memories ever are when I went travelling, and I got to see some famous libraries. Going to NY Public Library and seeing those lions was definitely a gas.

The two I loved the best were going to visit the new British Library building in London (having only a few inches of inert gas and a layer of glass separating you from manuscripts is a whole 'nother thrill), and getting to go inside what used to be the British Museum's legendary Reading Room.

At Berkeley, I used to live in the Doe Library reading room and the Berkeley Public Library. In junior high and high school, I hung out at the funky UCSD central library (now named for Dr. Seuss).

Hundred year oak and marble; brand spanking new drywall, chrome, and glass; comfortable aging worn-down brick and concrete; libraries are always fun--you'll always find books you haven't read yet.

Even my local public library branches are comforting as well, despite the fact that the San Diego Public Library System has one of the worst book collections I've ever seen (they've been pouring all their money into computers and new buildings, while half the books are in storage because there's no display space). I do love hunkering down in a comfy chair with a book surrounded by other folks who are doing the same.

And librarians? Unsung heroes. meteorite, you're doing God's Own Work, you know that, right?
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Haha, ok meteorite: what's your biggest pet peeve?

Hmmm...my local library is great, except for the...erm...crazy librarians. We have good computers, free wireless internet (that I have to take advantage of sometime), and...actually, we're the best library for a town our size in the country. *blushes* It's a true statistic; it was in the newspapers for weeks. Also...our computer room in one of the branches is named for my great uncle, which is sweet. He was on the founding board of the library before he died, and was really big in the library...so they named a computer room after him. I haven't been there since I got my laptop though...I should go visit it sometime...

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

I love my local library. They have a great selection of books, even though a subliminal manga section. It's a very big library, but it's such an great place. It's not really the kid's section that I love, it's just the whole library, including the room with CDs and movie, the young adults sections, the kid's section, the the giant adult/computer area, even ther "quiet fireplace room"! And besides many great books, they also have many updated computers there to work with too.

The librarians are very nice, which makes the place even better. They sometimes let me check out books or movies even when I forget my library card. (With the exception of the wierd librarin who looked at me funny when I tried to check out manga). I go their often, and I like this library so much. Bookstores are awesome too (better in some ways, but worse in other ways too.)

Comment

I love going to my local library. the library not only has a large manga section but also has a very large young adult section where i spend most of my time.
                  busy reading

Comment

I too love the library, I am constantly reading and at a fast pace, so I check everything I read out of the library (if I dont, I would soon be broke buying books) I read like 50+ books a year! I also get all my movies I watch from the library!`
                    ~~~
                    No Comments...Wait, that's a Comment!

Comment

libraries are definently magic. i read abnormaly fast and WAY TOO MUCH. at least, that's what i'm told. reading is pretty much my life blood...i don't think anyone could understand how very passionatly i love it. and i probably read a whole lot more than 50 per yr...no offense to anyone, it;s just one of the things i happen to be good at. one thing that makes it hard is my parents. they hate it when i read, even though my grades are fine and i do all my ******* chores, *sigh* but i'll never give it up.

Comment

I love the library a lot too. I wish I was old enough for my parents to let me go there by myself (Ours is in the middle of downtown), the funny thing is, I found So you Want to be a Wizard there, just like Nita found her manual. XD
                        Oops

Comment

kind of. I mean, i love books, so if i find a big library, that would be heaven. unfortunatly my library's so small it barely has any of the books i like. Still, i kn know what you mean.
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Ugh. All right, those of you who requested it...
                            Meteorite's Library Rants. I dislike:

1. Patrons who come in exclusively to use our Internet computers, then complain bitterly because of our rules regarding their use.
                            2. Patrons who ruin books and other materials, then try to argue out of their justly imposed fines.
                            3. Patrons who interfere with other patrons quiet enjoyment of library facilities, including the progressively more senile old gent who has forgotten for the past 6 months that Tuesdays we open at noon, not 10 a.m. He bangs on the front door demanding to be let in, then when we point out that we don't open for another two hours, stalks away in a snit. He has lost his drivers' license, but persists in driving. Badly. He considers our subscription to the Maui Times his personal property, and will harass any soul unfortunate enough to be reading it when he wants it. He should be getting medical attention of some type. I won't even discuss the other disturbed individuals who occasionally darken our door.
                            4. Patrons who treat the library staff like their personal combination of valet and verbal punching bag. I often wonder how they act in their doctor/dentist/bank's office, or worse yet, at home.

I pray I don't come up with more.
                            [/rant]

Comment

You may note that I don't complain about pay, or staffing, or any of a number of other personal factors. Working in a library is pretty much a calling; no one does it to get rich. They do it for love of what they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X