The constant use of (parenthesis)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The constant use of (parenthesis)...

I'd like to know why the author chooses to use this technique for quotes and thoughts. I'm finding it very distracting and have yet to finish the first book.

Wizardry takes place in the heart. Much of the conversations in this series are magically telepathic, so Diane Duane uses parenthesis or italics to distinguish between thoughts, mental conversations, and spoken conversations. Is this any help or have I confused you more?

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to ignore the parenthesis/italics/whatever's distracting you and focus on the storyline itself, cause it's really the story/plot/substance of the book that is important. You'll get used to DD's style, just give it time.
    "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
    Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

I guess maybe DD thought the same, or had some feedback from readers or whatever, and so, you'll notice in the next book, the parenthesis are out and whenever they mindspeak, it's in italics. It is a conundrum, but I think the italics works well. It's not nearly as distracting, you'll notice!

just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

italics seems to be the generally accepted way of doing it...i read more then a few books with it, and that's how they usually do it. it's less distracting, i suppose. *Shrugs* though it makes it funny when they're really just accenting everything...*thinks of scene where there can be a lot of confusion over that and falls over laughing* anyways...i'm off.
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

"I don't never not do that!" *grins crookedly*

It's really strange. The italics, not the English. English is MUCH harder to read when there are those multiple negatives...

Comment

multiple negitives ARE hard...but also FUN sometimes...particularly when characters are involved, and you can use it to through a loop in the conversation...i also find it funny having two characters arguing over waht another said while all the while fighting for their lives and dodging swords...*grins* i always find that FUNNy for some reaosn...but yeah....italics ARE better in my oppinion...the only confusing part is when they take it OFF to accent something, sometimes, because some words or so small that it's hard to be certain whether or not they're italicizied mean it so much i do ok, weird sentence, i admit...but i was trying to show what i meant.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

hate that stupid restaurant, uclk, McDonalds!
              You want to do what?
              You did that?

Well, the point is that italics are like double negatives, and double negatives are harder to use effectively or comprehensibly.

Comment

Professor: "In English, two negatives make a positive. In Russian, however, two negatives are still a negative. In no language, of course, do two positives make a negative."

Student: "Yeah, right."
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I think that the italics are worse than the parenthesis.... Maybe instead of italics, putting 'apostrophes' would be better. That way, out of the corner of your eye, it would look like a regular quotation mark. But when you get to read it, having one mark instead of two meaning that what's there is text.

So instead of having:

The thinking looking like this,

'We could have thinking looking like this'.

I don't know, maybe that would be worse than italics but I tend to see the italics and get excited and jump a paragraph of description and it really aggravates me. Anybody else think this is a good or bad idea?
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

I find it slightly silly to be so concerned with the choice of punctuation, which is in no way wrongly used, technically, that you can't finish the book.

This is not without understanding however. I personally understand how hard some pet peeve can hit someone, but a lot of times it is no more than that someone having bigger issues they don't want to admit to or are trying to ignore.

If you don't want to read it, don't. However, if it's really a pet peeve, I find what works for me is to realize it is silly and let it go. She chooses to write with Parenthesis and that is that.

Comment

apostraphies would confuse people not paying enough attention! besies, apostraphies are already used for quotations within quotations...while you CAN use them twice, i STILL prefer the italics...it's less obnoxious then the alternatives! well, at least to ME anyways...but i've grown used to them. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by young reader:
                        apostraphies would confuse people not paying enough attention! besies, apostraphies are already used for quotations within quotations...while you CAN use them twice, i STILL prefer the italics...it's less obnoxious then the alternatives! well, at least to ME anyways...but i've grown used to them. *shrugs*
                        That's a point with the apostrophes already being used. Although I do find the italics more distracting than parenthesis for some reason.
                        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

You know, the weirdest form of punctuation I ever saw for telepathic conversation was using double-asterisks in the Elfquest novel: e.g., **Yes, Cutter?**

Trust me, the italics and parenthesis are better.

For myself, both work equally well, although the paranthesis, given how it's normally used for internal asides and internal dialogues is actually very expressive of telepathic communication, while the italics is more general-purpose other-texty.

The fact that you "double" an italics by putting it in non-italics isn't really a problem, because it's usually surrounded by italics when it's used that way, so it still serves to work as emphasis. Single-quotes wouldn't work at all for me in this context, because I've read books where dialogue, throughout, is set in single quotes instead of double. It doesn't make it any different than "spoken" dialogue in that situation: there's not enough contrast to set it apart.
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I find that the lack of law on use of italics and parenthesis very interesting. It seems like every author has their own way of doing things and can be very hard to adjust (well at least for me). I just try to use the context to figure out whats going on, but it sometimes can be very hard. Anyways, I know that wasn't any help to you, but hey.
                            In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

Each author is comfortable with their own styles, and differnt ways of writing come with that...besides, even if there WAS a law, i'm not sure everyone would follow it. A teacher once told me "first you have to learn the rules...they you can decide when to break them." Which seems to be something that many writers (including me) take to heart...(besides, since there's no real agreement on what works best, the author might as well use their own method anyways!0

Comment

Working...
                              X