No announcement yet.

The age at which a wizard is offered the Oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As one grows up they frequently go after things they think is what they want. The problem here is that it isn't always really what they want.
    A recent study asked a number or people what would make them happy and most everyone said "stuff", as in "A new car would make me happy", or " A new entertainment system would make me happy". After they got this "thing" they were asked if they were now happy. The answer was usually "no". They still wanted something else to truly be happy.
    In the conclusion of this study, it was decided that helping others and similar such acts gave a lasting happy feeling over any "thing".
    As we grow up we gain the ability to get the things we wanted. Therefore many of us go after those things. We lose sight of what we used to enjoy and get caught up in the moment. We defeat ourselves without relizing it. I think this traditional loss of idea dating back to when one had to fight for one's life before this modern age, is where the genreral idea of children or "the youngest of the family" come from.
    More than likely, there is much more to it but this sounds plausible.

Comment

I will add my two cent's here, it said in one of the book's that the younger you are the easier it is for you to belive and your power level is higher. I think it is just because you are young and have alot more energy. I am 13 and I am tired ALL the time. As often as I can I try to sleep. It just comes with getting older.
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      **Neets**
      CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

13? Wow, that's really old.

Sleep is something I keep doing during the day - due to insomnia, I don't get it done during the night.

13... multiplied by 3.5... I'm feeling old again .
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I was reading through higher wizardry, and it says that the powers hate to offer the oath at a young age, but they will do so if there is a need. If there is a problem only that the wizard can fix.
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
          People around the world are like ongiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it's stuck on their back... they might not be able to see their umeboshi. Maybe that's the reaso

Comment

Your right Sohma Kodora I remember reading some where about that too!! And I'm guessing it don't happen very oftern considering how all the adult people actted around Darine!!!
            Fox
            God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

The books do say that younder wizards are more powerful, most likely because they believe things better, but it might also be because younger people tend to have more engery, and magic requires large amounts of energy.

Comment

I started reading fantasy books when I was about 13 and I wanted to be able to do magic and wizardry just as bad as Kit or Nita. What do you think? I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

Dai cousins... yay my first post!
                this is soo true
                i started reading fantasy when i was eight (i know i'm wierd) with the lord of the rings and narnia series. then dad introduced me to DD's books about two years later and i was hooked... i even got into trouble in class cos i kept reading high wizardry cause i wanted to know what happened in the end.
                i still read SYWTBAW every couple of months, hoping that they'll come true

Alla

Comment

Lesse... When did I start reading fantasy? I have no idea. I've been reading it forever.

What am I doing? I'm going off topic again... Aren't I in the Save the Topic Foundation? Shouldn't I be saving the topic, keeping it ON topic? *checks siggy* Woops, wrong foundation. I'm in the Kill the Topic Foundation. Muahahaha!

Errm. Meow.

Ronnie:
                  The books do say that younder wizards are more powerful, most likely because they believe things better, but it might also be because younger people tend to have more engery, and magic requires large amounts of energy.
                  I think the books said it was because younger wizards haven't learned what is and isn't possible, therefore they can do more of the 'impossible.' Right?
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

No-spoiler comment:
                    In a later book in the series, a character has this to say:
                    "You simian-descended, equivocating, pronoun-starved little twerp," it said. "Maybe the universe does favor young wizards because they haven't properly mastered the Speech's plurals yet. We really have to look into that."
                    Which is a different viewpoint on that last comment .

Comment

Hmm, very intristing... maybe they get picked in between young and old because there horomones are changing and that triggers energy? I thought I read that in one of the books.. If someone alredy posted that, sorry..

OOT (out of topic)

I didn't know I read fantasy books until a few months ago. I have been reading a whole lot since I was in 4th grade. The book that triggered that was Harry Potter. I guess it didn't really matter to me because I was reading something that I liked and kept me hooked.
                      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                      **Neets**
                      CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

I still think it has to do with the belief system! When you are young anything is possible,
                        'flying Raindeer', 'santa', 'evl's', 'magic'. But as you get old you start believing what is told to you, 'you can't fly', 'there's no such thing as magic' etc etc. At a certain age you stop believing everything is possible, and I think at is the cut off stage of wizardry! Because part of wizardry is believing the spell is going to happen and work, its the beleiving that makes it all possible! So in a way the longer a child beleives the longer that child has a chance to become a wizard.

Dar was very grown up for her age and had a lot of knowlege BUT she she thought that Darth mall and vada where real, she believed in the force, in other words she still believed!

Fox

Comment

Fox wrote:
                          At a certain age you stop believing everything is possible, and I think at is the cut off stage of wizardry! Because part of wizardry is believing the spell is going to happen and work, its the beleiving that makes it all possible! So in a way the longer a child beleives the longer that child has a chance to become a wizard.
                          Spoilers for later books:
                          <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Uh-oh. So if, say, a 15-year-old girl who would normally be too old and sensible to believe in magic, still believes in it for the simple reason she's seen her brother using it...

... then Kit could be really bothered by his sister, especially if he realised she'd never have become a wizard if he hadn't told his family about himself!</span>

Comment

Hah! That would be pretty funny! But why not? Why should you have to be really young to accept the idea of magic? We tend to get harder and more difficult as we get older, but I like the idea that someone could buck the trend.
                            I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

PM does that mean you agree with me? Love the new pic!! hahah, do you create them yourself??

Lamarquise your right it would be nice to see someone break the trend because theres already alot of new stuff happeneing!! Ponch and Ronan (and the tenant), the wizard leakage at Kit household etc etc. I was just thinking though, you can't become a wizard at a ceratin age right! So is there no limit to who can use the power if a wizard gives it too them?? Like Ed and Nita! Ed was really old yet could use Nita's power, could not then Carmela use Kits or Nita's?? I mean in a bad situaton Kit could give up his wizardry to his sister and she could then use it! She understands the speach well enought to cause the lone power some problems!! hahaha

Fox

Comment

I'm not sure if I agree, I just liked the quote, which I'd recently read while slowly making the timeline file. (Which I haven't forgotten, I just slowed down a lot when I got to Dilemma.)

Yes, my only avatar I didn't draw was the one I built on the doll site.

Hmmm, yes, Ed was at least several thousand years old if not millions, so Carmela could use the power - she just wouldn't know what to do with it. Ed didn't do any wizardry, he just used the power to amplify what he could already do.

Spoiler for later books:
                                <span class="ev_code_WHITE">My comment was that Carmela's in an unusual situation anyway, and just might be able to "beat the odds" to become a wizard. Poor Kit. </span>

Comment

Working...
                                X