The age at which a wizard is offered the Oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The age at which a wizard is offered the Oath

I'm starting to re-read the YW series from SYWTBAW as an in-depth study of the ideas DD has brought out. One thing that intrigues me is the age at which a wizard is offered the Oath. We know Kit was found by his Manual at twelve, Nita, at thirteen, and Dairine at 11, who made an impressive debut against the Lone Power. I wonder if there's something about childhood or early puberty that affects a wizard. This is a theme echoed by other authors, like David Eddings and Tamora Pierce. I started reading fantasy books when I was about 13 and I wanted to be able to do magic and wizardry just as bad as Kit or Nita. What do you think? And why is it that young wizards lose power as they get older and tend to "specialize"? Is it symbolic of growing up? At any rate, I'm glad that DD emphasizes how special and magical children, and childhood, are. What do you think?

I am on errantry and I greet you. Dai!

I seem to remember something mentioned about surges in power being linked to hormonal changes. Perhaps the onset of wizardry has a chemical link.

That particular age for wizardry, 11-12-13, is also a convenient time. Old enough to have a grasp on responsibility (NO OFFENSE to anyone younger--it's just that there are always those who take a little longer to figure things out) but young enough to 1: be able to believe in wizardry in the first place and 2: presumably have enough time on their hands to learn it.

Comment

I agree with Quill. But also, at one point DD mentions that younger wizards have more power because they can do the impossible, since they don't know that it's impossible (I don't remember where the exact quote is, sorry). Which is funny because this is actually true with young people in general. Coming from a young person, but still. For an example, my Computer-apps teacher recently had us watch a program on the invention and evolution of the PC, and someone said something to the effect of "it would have been impossible for us to do that today, because we'd know that it's impossible. But we were young, idealistic teenagers, and we didn't realize that, so we did it--and succeeded."

I think this is a repeating theme in YW, especially with Dairine.... although, with her case she may be realizing the definition of impossible because her power has decreased.

And then there's that entire thing about younger wizards being able to take risks because they're more willing to let go, if necessary; for an example, in the climactic scene in AWA, Darryl says "...I haven't lived long enough to be really attatched to life. Maybe this is the other thing that makes wizards so powerful when they're young. It's not that we don't know about death. It's not that we don't believe in it. It's that we're still able to let life go, if the price is right."

So maybe wizards are chosen at the age they are so that they can fit in the little window of time in which they both know responsibility and are willing to try the impossible or risk the disasterous...

Although it may be worth mentioning that Darryl and Dairine are exceptional, while Nita mentions at one point that Kit was fairly young, too... and someone mentions that the Powers want wizards to enjoy proper childhoods before going into something so serious.I think it was in either AWA or HW, or possibly even both.

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

Comment

You all make sense with your ideas. However, I seem to remember something Nita said about Dairine being young for taking the Oath. I think it was in HW? Hm...I need to go back and check.

Comment

I spent my days off thinking about how my childhood and teenage years would have been different if I'd been offered the Oath (which I'm sure I would have) and I've come to the conclusion that being a wizard would have made life so much easier for me. Nothing like a wizardry to balance out all those out of control hormones.

Comment

I started reading fantasy books when I was about 13 and I wanted to be able to do magic and wizardry just as bad as Kit or Nita.
            Heh heh, still do. ^_^ In HW, didn't Tom (or was it Carl?) tell Nita that her wizardry would be more accesible to her during puberty? And as you get older you tend to lose all your childhood fantasies. When you're a kid there's magic everywhere.

Calliope, the muse of poetry and song

http://headintheclouds.blogdrive.com
            Metaphors be with you.

Comment

Maybe children get picked is so that they are more infulance to take the oath and the power because they had the power when your born but when you get older the power fades and they are given the oath when the powers that be decide that the kids are old enough to understand and make an informed deicion.

*Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
              *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
              *Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
              *Many have come and gone but few are here to stay-Devin
              *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
              *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
              *Many have come and go

Comment

I am planing to take the oath soon. ive always wanted to do wizardry, and i never had the guts to take the oath. i was always scared of the journey that follows after. if there are any wizards here that has taken the oath and gone through the journey, please tell me about it.

I am the one with no name. The one with no home. The one with no.......purpose.
                From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Hehehe I took the Oath last night and still haven't checked to see if my book has changed at all.</span>

Comment

I think its said the younger you are the higher the initial power levels. Then when puberty hits and you get the power boost (like Kit being able to close the gate by himself) I think it said that its not too late for 'Mela to take the oath so we can know the aproxomite age range without asking....

Comment

Yes i remember the third book saying that the Oath is offered at the latest time possible for the person that recieves it

Comment

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Where'd you read that? I didn't see it...I'll go look through my copy. </span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Oh, and the Oath didn't work for me. Darn it.</span>

Comment

Doesn't it say somewhere that the Powers wait until as long as possible so that the future wizards have a good childhood? [Sorry, I can't remember the book that came from]
                          In Life's name and for Life's sake...

Comment

I think the reason that it would make sense if it was a younger age. I think it's because when you're younger, teenage still, you aren't as afraid to believe in things. Your mind hasn't been completly set in their ways. It's a time where a lot of things can make the difference in your life.

I also think that it has to do with pride too. I think younger kids, would be willing to take the oath. You saw how Nita felt it was silly and foolish, and almost didn't. That was her becoming more responsible, adult, and the belief of it was silly. I think that it does take a person who can do so mething like that, and kids would be more likely.

I used to read the oath whenever I read the book, now I do it less and less. Maybe it's growing up, or maybe it's just a way to not get dissapointed when it doesn't happen.

That's my thoughts for you.
                            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                            People around the world are like ongiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it's stuck on their back... they might not be able to see their umeboshi. Maybe that's the reaso

Comment

Sohra -

It's sad that anyone would feel they had to consider the inexplicable or magical or visionary childish or irresponsible. If we really think that's mature, we lose most of our ability to see things for how they truly are.

You're probably right. The fear of looking silly. Being wrong. Getting let down. Sometimes, you just have to take something on faith!
                              I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Comment

Working...
                              X