No announcement yet.

High Wizardry Indeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished High Wizardry yesterday...by FAR the best in the series that I've read so far. I thought it was so sudden, a shift from whales and staying on earth to all of a sudden planet hopping and galaxy hopping!
    I have the same problem with telling my family about books...I don't think my brother has the reading attention span for these books, he likes action better. Sometime when I come upon a funny part, (like where Dairine attempts to speak to the alien's luggage) I just have to tell someone, but I can't just read that paragraph without giving background info. So then my jokes get too long and become unfunny...
    I just think you have to be pretty serious and prefer info to action to like this books.
    Last edited by estar9821; August 20, 2011, 09:00:45 PM.
    "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

I think HW and WAW are my favorite in the series. I used to say all of them except Abroad and Alone, but I have narrowed it down to these two. WaW I love because it is spectacular, but I love HW because...

I love seeing Dairine out of confident I-know-everything mode.
      I love Gigo.
      This is the first book where Nita really focuses on her relationship with Kit, and how it's changing.
      The last battle with the Lone Power utterly, utterly rocked. Some of the best lines in the series are from that bit. If you have not heard Christina Moore saying "Just admit it! And get it over with!", you cannot truly have appreciated that scene.
      I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
      -- Charles Shulz

Comment

High Wizardry

High Wizardry was my favorite YW book until I read Wizards at War. It had so much change going on with it, that every book before it was so different than every book after it(and I also loved GIGO). I also loved Wizards at War because, well, it was just really good. I still haven't been able to choose between those two.

Comment

Ummm...this may be kinda dumb to ask, but what does GIGO stand for anyway?
          I liked the part on Rirhath B. Best part in the book, in my oppinion. I also liked how the motherboard planet was in a satellite galaxy of a barred spiral, and how every night the galaxy rose. I once saw a piece of space art that was very similar, it showed a spectacular view of the Milky Way covering the sky of a hypothetical planet in the Large Magellanic Cloud, one of our own galaxy's satellite galaxies.
          "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

GIGO = Garbage In Garbage Out. I just plain loved the whole book, because I'm a computer geek and I identified with Dairine as a tearaway kid sister with a much more responsible older sister.

On top of that, it's exceedingly rare to read fiction that can combine science fiction and fantasy in a way that feels true to both. DD can do that. The only other writer I've read recently who can do that particular hat trick is Charles Stross.
            Last edited by Kathy Li; December 4, 2009, 12:07:59 AM.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Yes! It is a mix of sci-fi fantasy. When I first came across SYWTBAW in Borders two years ago, I thought it looked so fantasyish, which is what I was really into then, so I got it. Now I'm more of a sci-fi person, but then I wasn't. So I was kinda dissapointed when I started to read it and it was way more sci-fi than fantasy. Two years and a lot more knowledge of outer space later, I love the books! I thought the first two were a lot more fantasy than the third though, the third was sci-fi through and through while the first two still had a touch of fantasy.

Comment

I to also agree

That high wizardry was an important role in the series and the fact that spot is dairines alter ego dairine bold outgoing and tough spot shy mysterious relible makes them a great team

Comment

"Excuse me, but why are you talking to our luggage?"

Comment

Working...
                  X