High Wizardry Indeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Wizardry Indeed

I think High Wizardry, a book I stayed up till 3 in the morning to read, was the turning point in the series where the things really get serious. Because of this, and while I completely adore the latest additions to the universe(A Wizard Alone, A Wizard's Holiday, and Wizards at War)I think this is the best of the earlier books.

It has everything and more that drew me to the series as a whole. The central characters have been introduced, a new one is revealed and what might be considered the final confrontation takes place. What's lovely about the whole thing though, is how utterly huge it is yet DD manages to make it so small at the same time. One titanic battle for the universe that crosses space and time fought by a little girl, her sister and their neighbor.

Eloquent and diverse in it's adventure and messages the book swept me off my feet. I'm still in love with it, even after reading the masterpiece WaW more recently. High Wizardry indeed. ^_^
    Dai Stihó, cousin.
    "Fairest and Fallen; greetings and defiance."

It quite good,the ending was spectacular.

Comment

I think that this book really got me hooked too. I mean the first ones were good but this one is when DD finially finished with the back round info, and going into the really stories. It was a great book that really got me to want to read the rest of the books.

Comment

Yeah, I liked it, and enjoyed it soooo much. but at the moment, i'm reading it to my little sister who actually seems to think it...boring!!! Amazing. Especially since she reminds me a lot of Dairine, an annoying, knows-too-much for her age, little sister. I keep telling her it gets better, but she only reslly likes books with continual action and excitement. we haven't even gotten to the part where Spot starts showing a screenful of ones, really. I have her under threat that if we don't finish it befoore we go see Eragon, i won't read her Eldest. that made her want to hear a few chapters. hehehe . I know, i am evil. but she will learn to love Dairine,im sure of it.
        "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

I know what you mean, having to deal with the short attention spans of friends of siblings when you have something REALLY good to show them. So frustrating! arg. That happened to me when I tried to read my little brother The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Guess I'll have to wait till he's a little older.

Yes, the ending for this book was incredible, and like you said it was something of where the background was finished being established, or so it seemed. Book one introduced the two main mainish characters and book 2 had both reveal their secret to their familys. These are both neccesary steps in the progress of the plot.

It was HW, book 3 that introduces Dairine as another "main" character of sorts, and kind of establishes the "Wizard family" that we see from then on out through the series. Before this book it was really about two kids. HW really expands the cast among other things.

I remember, I first saw SYWTBAW at a book store and wrote the name down cause the cover art and premise caught my eye. I checked out the first book sometime later and really enjoyed it. The second book, DW was fantastic too, so I hurriedly checked out HW and... by the end of the book, 3:30 in the morning on a school night, I knew just one book at a time wasn't going to be enough. ^^
          Dai Stihó, cousin.

Comment

high wizardry was great...i still say that wizard's dillema was the best, but still, high wizardry was right up there. of course, i could say that about allt he books, so that doesn't count for that much, i suppose. :P
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

HW is my favorite besides W@W. I read it 9 or 10 times. then my mom read some of it, and now wont let me read it anymore. she read about 5 pages.
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Yeah, I liked it, and enjoyed it soooo much. but at the moment, i'm reading it to my little sister who actually seems to think it...boring!!! Amazing. Especially since she reminds me a lot of Dairine, an annoying, knows-too-much for her age, little sister. I keep telling her it gets better, but she only reslly likes books with continual action and excitement. we haven't even gotten to the part where Spot starts showing a screenful of ones, really. I have her under threat that if we don't finish it befoore we go see Eragon, i won't read her Eldest. that made her want to hear a few chapters. hehehe . I know, i am evil. but she will learn to love Dairine,im sure of it.
                Well, at least she has enough sense to love eragon. :P anyone with that much sense, has hope, at the very least. that doesn't mean if you don't like it you DON"T have hope, just that if you do, you definately do.
                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

bla, Christmas business. I've been rushing all to and fro across the earth *COUGH* I mean town, getting ready.

Anyway, WHAT kk? that' horrible. I had a friend like that whose mom was really strangely oppinionated and would randomly ban him from everything that had any relation to magic every so often. So lame. People (especially parents) need to be more open minded and look beyond the surface when evaluating what is around them. So silly to read 5 PAGES for goodness sake and then arbitrarly decide against it.

What can you do though? When people are going to be like that, nothing is going to stop them except some drastic change.

I agree W@W was spectacular in it's scope and depth. It's probably my favorite since HW. Not to say anything against you Young reader ^^. I absolutely loved WD too.
                  Dai Stihó, cousin.

Comment

i totally agree that HW is the best of the earlier books. I really liked it because Dairine became a wizard. Dairine has always been one of my favorite characters and i was very very very very excited to see her performing spells and such
                    "There's only one thing you should know, I've put my trust in you! Pushed as far as i can go"

Comment

i will always be willing to admit that this was a great book, but i still don't think it was the best...that's reserved for wizard's dillema in my oppinion. i like that darine became a wizard here, but still...i don't see anything in it that makes it the absolute best. though it was a big turning point the lp...but to each their own. *runs off for more posting*

[edited to remove unneeded quoting. --kli]

Comment

i don't see anything in it that makes it the absolute best.
                        ***SPOILERS***

1. Dairine became a wizard
                        2. spot was born
                        3. They go planet hopping
                        4. Battle between Dairine as super-wizard and the one power
                        5. One power's redemption

***end spoilers***

What can I say beyond that?
                        The later books like WD do go considerably deeper into things and I appreciate that.

This one could have been an ending point to the series if DD had wished it, though I must say I'm thankful she did not. ^_^

I love Nita and Kit, not to mention the other friends and family they have, but I think Dairine is my favorite character in the end, thus this story appeals to me, being primarily hers.
                        Last edited by Kathy Li; August 11, 2009, 04:35:01 PM. Reason: fixed spoiler marking
                        Dai Stihó, cousin.

Comment

It was nice to see Dairine as a wizard, but the techno apeal didn't really get to me. And the Characters weren't aS complicated as Ed. I love Ed! And i love him all the more now that he's dead!
                          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

I've only gotten up to HW, ad my mom has grounded me from buying any more books, and the library (TOTURE!), and I only discovered the series a couple days ago... I think... anyways, I'm so far behind on this series, it makes me sad...
                            There is no light without its shadow

Comment

High Wizardy is not my favorite book, but it is the book in which DD shifts more from fantasy to science-fiction and that's what I like about the book. I just finished reading it (for the 5th time) about 10 minutes ago and I realized this book is what made me take this series seriously.

I can relate to the book so much that it's scary. I am Nita (minus anything special) and my little sister is Dairine. I never got the advantage of having anything to myself that I could keep from my sister (referring to Nita's wizardry, more in DW than HW) and I had a major connection with the characters. I felt jealous of Nita in DW when she had something unique that her sister couldn't take and I felt jealous and maybe even upset in HW when Dairine ended up taking it anyway (as often happens with my own sister).

Unfortunately, my sister thinks the series is complete bunk. I tried to get her to read it when she was little (she LOVED to read) and she didn't like it. She was too much into Inkheart and Harry Potter and other fantasy series. Now all she reads is cheesy vampire novels. I've tried to tell her that this series is truly amazing, but she and I are just too disimilar to agree.
                              From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

Working...
                              X