Kit and the Whalesark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit and the Whalesark

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group! I absolutely love the Young Wizards books (especially SYWTBAW and DW) and look forward to talking about them!

Anyway, there's something about Deep Wizardry I never understood, and it bugs me every time I read the book. Paraphrasing as best I can (I don't have the book with me at the moment), when S'reee first gets Kit and Nita to change into whales, she gets Nita to do a simple shapechange and Kit to use a whalesark instead. She then explains to Nita that her peril lies in forgetting her true identity and becoming a whale completely. She tells Kit, in contrast, that the danger for him is that his body will reject the whalesark and revert to normal human behavior (i.e. human breathing patterns, temperature, etc.) This would be very dangerous if it happened far below the ocean. She says something along the lines of, "if you find yourself losing whalesong, you must get out of the water immediately."

THen, during the battle during the Song of the Twelve, Kit begins to speak in "pure" whalesong, not the whalesong/human mixture that he had always used in the past. Nita, remembering S'reee's warning, interprets this as a sign that Kit's body is about to reject the whalesark and revert to human form.

But wait a moment! That's Nita's warning sign, not Kit's! Nita is the one that is in danger of losing her true identity and becoming completely "whale". If Kit's body was about to reject the whalesark, he should have reverted to human language, not pure whalesong.

Anybody have an explanation?

Nerine

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group! I absolutely love the Young Wizards books (especially SYWTBAW and DW) and look forward to talking about them!

Anyway, there's something about Deep Wizardry I never understood, and it bugs me every time I read the book. Paraphrasing as best I can (I don't have the book with me at the moment), when S'reee first gets Kit and Nita to change into whales, she gets Nita to do a simple shapechange and Kit to use a whalesark instead. She then explains to Nita that her peril lies in forgetting her true identity and becoming a whale completely. She tells Kit, in contrast, that the danger for him is that his body will reject the whalesark and revert to normal human behavior (i.e. human breathing patterns, temperature, etc.) This would be very dangerous if it happened far below the ocean. She says something along the lines of, "if you find yourself losing whalesong, you must get out of the water immediately."

THen, during the battle during the Song of the Twelve, Kit begins to speak in "pure" whalesong, not the whalesong/human mixture that he had always used in the past. Nita, remembering S'reee's warning, interprets this as a sign that Kit's body is about to reject the whalesark and revert to human form.

But wait a moment! That's Nita's warning sign, not Kit's! Nita is the one that is in danger of losing her true identity and becoming completely "whale". If Kit's body was about to reject the whalesark, he should have reverted to human language, not pure whalesong.

Anybody have an explanation?

Nerine

Comment

Wow! That's a very acute observation, and I must say I never noticed it before. I don't have an explanation to offer, unfortunately. But I'll think about it: it's been awhile since I read Deep Wizardry.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

*Ella*

"'Do we start kicking now?'
      'No, Spongebob, that's a chorus line.'"
      -Spongebob Squarepants
      *Ella*
      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
      What could mean more than this?"
      --Bright Eyes

Comment

I thought S'reee warned Kit about losing language, but it's been a while since I last read that one and I don't have the book to hand.

Comment

Comment

I checked this briefly yesterday.... S'reeee refers to language and then specifically says whalesong; later on Nita thinks in horror that "he's losing language." I probably need to reread DW fully; haven't done that in a while.

Comment

I've never thought of that before.... hmmmm
              I am me and I am unique.
              Gods all bless,
              Rhia

Proud Tamora Pierce obsessee

Comment

I'm so happy to know that I wasn't the only person to think about that! Last night I spent about fifteen minutes making sure I didn't read it wrong...
                Did it occur to you that S'reee may have said something not correct???

Comment

But what S'reee said made sense. Since Nita's transformation came from her wizardry, something intrinsic to her, it was logical that her danger lay in "losing herself" in the spell and forgetting her true identity. Kit's transformation was imposed upon him by something foreign (the whalesark) and therefore it made sense that his intrinsic "humanness" could overpower the whalesark and undo the transformation, causing him to revert to being human.

What never made sense to me was what happened later -- that Kit, rather than Nita, began to "lose himself" in the whalesark and become fully whale (signified by his sudden shift to using "pure whalesong.") And also -- even if he was being overpowered by the whalesark and losing his true human identity (despite what S'reee said earlier), then this would not signify any danger of him immediately reverting to human, as Nita fears! Instead, he would become fully whale and would be in no danger of transforming back to human at all!

And finally, even if S'reee was wrong, and Nita was also wrong in interpreting Kit's behavior, then why on earth would DD ever write such a confusing passage?

Like I said, I'm still completely mystified...

Nerine

Comment

Maybe Kit was pretending to be a whale like nita just to make sure the whalesark didn't blow out on him. Then he might have pretended too hard and became all whale. Key word- maybe.

Comment

One of the final signs of sark-rejection was that the sark and the user's brain would each try to override the other. Kit's transformation was intentionally incomplete: while the sark convinced his body that he was a sperm whale, his mind and personally were supposed to be left intact. As Kit noted, there were still some mental carryovers from the sark donor.

If Kit became completely whale for a few moments, that meant the balance between sark and living mind was disturbed and that the sark was about to catastrophically fail. The text itself mentions this.

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
                      Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
                      Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

I do think this part was a little confusing. I actually thought the same thing on reading the book the first time - and on listening to the audiobook recently. It felt like a mistake, even if it wasn't actually one.

"Think how much worse it would be if life was fair, and all the awful
                        things that happened to us happened because we actually deserve them. I for
                        one take great comfort in the completely impersonal hostility of the
                        universe."
                        "Think how much worse it would be if life was fair, and all the awful
                        things that happened to us happened because we actually deserve them. I for
                        one take great comfort in the completely impersonal hostility of the
                        universe."

Comment

This part always confused me somewhat too....But I think I get it a bit more now after reading some of the comments here.

---

Heaven is calling
                          From a rainy shore
                          Counting wounded lights falling into their dreams
                          Still searching for an open door
                          - Sarah Brightman, "The War Is Over"

Comment

Working...
                          X