No announcement yet.

The nature of ghosts in "Abroad"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, I have never seen a ghost (to my knowledge, anyway).

Second, I think the whole point of that DW scene with Ed was that what's loved lives - DD wouldn't have put it there otherwise. Nita thought it was because he borrowed her power, at first, but then she decided that that wasn't it. I think that that's where normal people would go, too - everyone has to be loved by someone.
    "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

I don't know if that's exactly on the subject of ghosts, I think it's more on the subject of Timeheart--though I guess if you're saying that normal people's souls don't just stick around terrifying people, it is on topic. Though I'd like a decent definition of "normal people."
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

sorry - that's what I meant (that they don't stick around)

I think a normal person would be someone who doesn't have wizardry, or ever borrow it. They probably wouldn't be aware of meeting the lone power either.
        "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

No, but Ghost Hunters sometimes makes me wonder if I'm being too skeptical. :-)
          Heh, no offence but you're like the first person i've heard that believes Ghost Hunters isn't fake.
          Anyways, I think it would be cool if ghosts are more like spirits in Bleach, how there are Shinigami, or death gods, who make them "move on".
          "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
          -Terry Pratchett
          Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

well, i wouldn't be surpised if there's SOMETHING on the asteral plane making ghosts move on...but if moving on requires a certain level of acceptance with your death, or having finished off all unfinished buisness, i would take more of a cross between a psychiatrist and bounty hunter than anything else. :P
            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I was watching the show Ghost Whisperer last night. In this show the main character can see ghosts. A lot of times the ghosts have a message that they want her to deliver. Well in this episode the girl (the ghost) wanted her family to know that she was dead and how she really had died. In the end the lady that could see the ghost found her body and she also found out how she died. She told the family and then the ghost was abled to move on.

But the ghost couldn't move on until the way she had died had been cleared up and her family was at peace. I don't know if it works like that with real ghosts but that sounds about accurate even if it is television.
              Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
              Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

I like watching the Discovery Channel show, A Haunting. The funny thing is, when my mom watches it with me, she's surprised when I'm able to tell if the ghost/ghast/whatever is just some sort of energy, a ghost, or just a memory. This is all on TV, of course, so it's probably not real, but anyway, the fact that I can tell them apart makes my mom think that I'm "meddling with dark forces" as she's been putting it. Sounds familiar to what Kit had to go through with Helena, doesn't it?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have a relative somewhere (only heard about her last month) who owns a haunted house, that I apparently stayed in when I was little. I don't really remember it, though, because I was really little, like, an infant. My mom told me that this cousin (aunt, uncle, second cousin, whatever) named the supposed ghost Fred, and that Fred likes to move around furniture, though he doesn't bother people.
                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

That certainly wasn't last night's ghost whisperer...I don't think i even remember that ghost whisperer! *Is rather confused by this, since i watched the new one last night and it was nothing like that*
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Look at the date on my post Young Reader.

Last nights Ghost Whisper (I forgot the name of the girl) she could see ghosts also and the main character had to teach her how to help the ghosts move on. The ghost name Daniel needed to find his parents.

Sound familiar.
                    Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                    Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

You watch Ghost Whisperer?! My mom and I watch it EVERY Friday night.

Last night's episode was a really good one, I think. The girl's name was Becca, I assume short for Rebecca. We didn't find our her last name, though....

Last night's episode reminded me of a past episode ... I don't remember which one, though....

But in the episode of the one before last, with those two weird married couple who were making that father and daughter try to kill each other.... That was the first time Andrea's name was mentioned in a couple years. Andrea died in that plane crash, remember? Delia has kind of replaced Andrea now....

I can't really describe what I think about that old Grand View.... The one that that passage way that's in the basement of the antique shop leads to? They went back down there in last night's episode, but a month or two ago was when that passageway was first discovered by Melinda.... I think that was the creepiest Ghost Whisperer episode I've watched.

The first episode that I remember watching Ghost Whisperer was at least two years ago.... There was this ghost who was haunting someone in a tool shed, I think.... The ghost was trying to hurt Melinda and someone else with tools.... I really don't remember much about it, though.... They have a DVD of the first Ghost Whisperer season that I found at Amazon.com.... Hey, I can ask for that for Christmas!

Whoa, I shot off like a cannon there with the Ghost Whisperer stuff.... Sorry.
                      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

I just have to ask, has anyone ever watched TAPS? (The Atlantic Paranormal Society) I have got to say that it is the most amazing show ever. Not only do they find out if a place is haunted, but they can disprove things too if they have no real evidence. Plus, they show you how they do everthying, so it's not so confusing. I love that show. Problem is, my sister does not know he difference between a ghost/ghast/energy/ or even just a memory, and when I tell her what it is, she thinks I either read too much, or that I'm am some sort of 'ghost freak'. Could that have something to do with the fact that I am a really, really good guesser,(not bragging, just trying to make a point)because she really freaks me out the way she talks about me making pacts with ghosts or whatever(she thinks our house is haunted)Oh, I'm sure I'll get over it.

Also, anyone who would like to learn about some other ghostly definitions should read The Last Apprentice(Revenge of the Witch, Curse of the Bane, and Night of the Soul Stealer)by Joseph Delaney...they are good books, even though they are not as addictive as YW.

anyway...Ghost's rule!
                        ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

Oh, we might have watched it once or twice... :-)

I enjoy it for the same reason you do -- that they show and explain everything, and that if something isn't haunted, they'll say so. There's another ghost show where I saw a block fly across the room when the investigators came in -- I'm not convinced that they didn't edit that. TAPS, on the other hand, I trust to show us what they found.
                          "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Yeah, I've seen TAPS once, with my mom. She enjoyed it. I forget what times and channels it's on, though. Can someone remind me?
                            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Hey, Garrett, what's the picture showing? I don't see any ghosts in it...?

(Apologies for the one-liner)
                              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

That's my family in front of the headquarters for The Atlantic Paranormal Society, which the SciFi Channel series Ghost Hunters follows. Last time we visited Rhode Island, the ladies insisted they had to go visit. :-)

You can see the office in context at http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/video/index.php.
                                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                                X