No announcement yet.

The nature of ghosts in "Abroad"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when I was younger and my Uncle had died I felt cold and scared everytime I went into his old room. I was only seven at the time so maybe I was only afraid because at the time of my life I really didn't understand death. But I haven't felt the feeling now that I'm older. But I also haven't been to my cousins house in a long while. I bet it was only because I was so young and I didn't understand what was going on. I don't know. Too bad we can't all be like <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Harry</span> and become the <span class="ev_code_WHITE">master of death</span> .
    Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
    Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

I don't believe in Ghosts. However, at the daeth of my father I couldn't sleep alone for months, and I had nightmares for a few years.
      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

who knows, there COULD be a ghost anywyere, theoretically...(of course, theoretically, ANYTHING is theoretically possible....it's theoretically possible that in the next two seconds a pig will get hit by a beam, causing it to evolve hands, and make it start opening and eating grape jelly...) but still, you never know. :P
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Rhi! My mom described a situation just like that after my grandfather died, except that she sought professional opinions for the feelings before she told him she was OK without him.

I believe in ghosts, and once on a Boy Scout trip in the woods at night I heard a female voice. We had no moms with us as far as I remember and our campsite's latrine(that's where I was) doesn't seem a likely place for anyone not staying there to be. Anyway, I was scared out of my mind and ran when I didn't see anyone waiting when I came out. I was small and don't remember very well, plus this isn't exactly something definitely ghostly, so it's not really proof, but it was definitely creepy.

As for after death, I believe that some people would surely be afraid to go on, as of any adventure, as we have deemed it. Also, I'm not so sure it'd be a great idea to stay and find out what ghostliness is like, because you might not be able to go on. I hope I'll be brave too.
          "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

I agree with mysss. Mysss is probably right about the fact if you did end up staying to try out 'ghostliness' there is no guarantee that you'll ever be able to move on. I personally want to move on to something better than this world.

This is what wikipedia has to say about ghosts.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost

Comment

Ghosts make good bedtime stories to tell kids who haven't been behaving when you have to babysit them. Muhahahahaha.
              I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

usually, most theories involving ghosts i know of are that they are simply people who weren't ready to move on, and that they WILL move on once the timing is right....sometimes, people are just afraid i suppose, and avoid moving on, but sometimes there are things they still HAVE to accomplish before they can do so...i suppose it comes down to whether they CHOOSE not to move on from fear, or whether it is simply not the time for them to move on yet that might determine things...
                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

They may have a task that they must, and by this I mean "must" accomplish to move on- it could be something like that...some people want to make sure their family is ok like we've said.
                  "Half of the ehhif on the planet go to bed with empty stomachs: the other half die of eating themselves sick...." -Rhiow,The Book of Night With Moon

Comment

There is this one book once that a friend of mine told me about. The girl had lived her life as a thief but before she died she did something really good. (maybe some of you have read the book and know what I'm talking about) So she can't move on to heaven because she was a thief but can't go to the other place because of what she did before she died and ends up as a ghost. She is sent to do the tasks of an old man who is going to die soon. Apparently neither will get into heaven if she doesn't do what she was sent to do. I haven't read the book yet.

But there was this one book that I read called "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. The girl had died and went to heaven. She was murdered by a predator in her area. She was the only one who knew where her remains were and of course who killed her. She watches over her loved ones. And she does her best to lead them to her body. It was an interesting read. I personally don't like death, ghosts, or anything in the dead or undead catogory but, I've never read a book like this. And because we are talking about the after life I just thought it would be nice to mention.

Comment

definately. would YOU want to leave your family behind without making sure that they could move on? plus, there's some part of us that wouldn't be quite ready to leave the adventure we already had, even if we knew that there was another adventure just waiting for us...it's only natural...

Comment

I guess it's natural. I just hope I'm ready to move on when the time comes. I can't actually call this place paradise. So I feel bad for any ghost that doesn't move on. I mean there has to be something better in the after life then where we are now right? So a ghost should want to move on. But even I know how hard it can be just to let go of the past and move forward. It's like that in life.

Comment

it's hard to say goodbye to those we know...we may often think the world a terrible place, but it really DOES have its wonders...and many will always have an urge to stay, just for a while, and help to protect those that they left behind in a way they never could while they were among the living...or they might hang back in fear of what awaits them....or any number of things can cause them to wait, if only a while, before being ready to move on. fears of nothingness, or that they will not be accepted, or leaving behind those they loved...but at some point, you just have to accept it's time to move on.

Comment

I know that everything that is loved lives so that would mean that they would go to Timeheart. What if that person wasn't loved? Would they still go to Timeheart? Or would they be like the Master Shark. "You young and never loving. Me old and never loved." (I know that that isn't the exact quote but I kind of don't have the book right next to me at this moment.) He lived for a long time lets say that. If the person was bad I wonder if they would still go to Timeheart. And if they can would they move on or stay here as a ghost because they would be aware of what they have done?

I was just curios about all of this. But also we don't talk about the books as much as we use too. I just want us to have a little discussion. If this forum space has to be paid for we might as well use it for what it was intended to be used for. Right?

Comment

but the master shark DID go to time heart! and theoretically, the One would love all of creation, so everyone would be loved enough. :P
                              anyways, i'm not entirely sure....the book doesn't actually talk about what happens to them in that world...

Comment

in th end of the book didnt they show him going to timeheart though...
                                hey i know im late but my room is haunted, its kinda weird but my dog wont go into my room and when he does he shakes all over and stare at one spot....
                                its a long long walk to the end of the earth... but let me tell you if im walking to you then i'll walk farther than you would have dreamed possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X