Thoughts on Carmela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Carmela

Mad-unpopular opinion time: I really really don't like Carmela Rodriguez. I just don't. Starting around the time of her increased presence in Wizard's Holiday, I just rolled my eyes every time she spoke and kept wishing she'd just grow the heck up.

That said! I like how she was handled in this book. I think we saw just enough of her, and in ways that fit the story. She didn't feel quite so shoehorned in as she has in the past. These little hints of her made her place in the story feel more justified - right around the edges of the wizarding world rather than smack in the middle of it.

What do other people think? Did Mela fans want more of her in this book? Did they think she was used well? Are there others who dislike her too?

I like that Kit has a sister who feels a little like she's part of the wizarding world. Obviously not so much as Dairine is to Nita, but it seems a fitting parallel.

Sure, sometimes she's over the top. And I do think I understand where eye-rolling could be an appropriate reaction... But I know (and love) people like her in my own life, so maybe that colors my feelings about her character, or it makes me just think that it's a bit like real life, all the people in your family, who you don't choose, but can be all kinds of different personalities...

I think Carmela's a little fun. Besides, without her I wouldn't know about the idea that CHOCOLATE is the cause of half the alien landings on earth. And that's just awesome.

Comment

I feel super protective of Carmela because I feel she embodies an attitude that I tend to rely on a lot (kind of a bubbly nonchalance) as well as some I wish I was better at (mostly the whole "I thought I was wrong once. I got over it" thing). She's also just a character I really appreciate in this series, because she treats wizardry as important and yeah, dangerous, but not like it can't also be used for fun and casual interactions with people from all over the universe. I don't think an actual wizard could have that approach to it, because they're so busy actually Saving the World and Decreasing Entropy and whatnot.

As for GWP, I personally felt she was used well in the book, though I (of course) could've seen her in more of it without feeling it was too much. The subject matter just didn't really lend itself to her joining in, though, other than as a fangirl/chronicler of smackdowns I'm really intrigued how Nita's visions are gonna play out, though--it seems she's gonna have a pretty important role to play coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Elita Justice View Post
        I feel super protective of Carmela because I feel she embodies an attitude that I tend to rely on a lot (kind of a bubbly nonchalance) as well as some I wish I was better at (mostly the whole "I thought I was wrong once. I got over it" thing).
        This touches on something (some things?) I have been thinking/wondering about Carmela for a while. Her character is headstrong, just STRONG, caring, funny, and, yeah, varying degrees of immature. She takes no **** and doesn't back down at anything. And she is also 100% a feminine woman. I feel like we don't see that a lot, at least not past the surface level of characters, so I definitely appreciate that about Carmela (and I personally like her as well, but I think even if I didn't *like* her I'd find her important).

Moving in a slightly different direction, some aspects of Carmela's personality really make me curious about what her life has been like and where that strength comes from. Because of the bravado she puts on a lot of the time, I've wondered if her strength and confidence started out as a "fake it til you make it" strategy because of bullying or something else, and how much of a role that plays with her being so in-your-face strong by the time we meet her in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by eowyngirl View Post
          I've wondered if her strength and confidence started out as a "fake it til you make it" strategy because of bullying or something else, and how much of a role that plays with her being so in-your-face strong by the time we meet her in the books.
          Huh, I'm surprised to say I haven't thought about it that way all that much, but it makes sense! Now that you mention it, it does make sense that maybe she wasn't always as "care-free" as she makes out to be.

Another reason I like Carmela is because she doesn't have wizardry. At least recently, as I've gotten older, it's been nice to see someone in that world who doesn't have wizardry but can still be an active participant in the struggles of the book. But that's just my opinion
          All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

She's also just a character I really appreciate in this series, because she treats wizardry as important and yeah, dangerous, but not like it can't also be used for fun and casual interactions with people from all over the universe. I don't think an actual wizard could have that approach to it, because they're so busy actually Saving the World and Decreasing Entropy and whatnot.
            ^That. Plus, I see a lot of potential in Carmela's talents with language, and that lets me see a little bit of myself in her. Carmela also had a minor role in inspiring me to pursue Japanese. I had some trouble relating to her at the beginning, but as I've gotten older I've appreciated her balancing perspective more and more. She's not fazed by ANYTHING. And it's good to have a character around who is unapologetic about her femininity or her interests.

As for Carmela's past, the comment that snagged my attention was something about the fact that Carmela bounced around in overalls until one day she could control her wardrobe (I forget the reasoning - that she would ruin her clothes?), and she suddenly emerged as a fashionista, or something to that effect. If someone could find the quote that would be really helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X