vBulletin 4 changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin 4 changes

As some of you have noticed, there've been some changes made.

While the Forums seem pretty much to be running OK (outside of a few database problems which seem to have blown over), there are a few features which have vanished with the upgrade and which we're not going to be getting back for the immediate future.

One of these, unfortunately, is the Topic of the Week feature. It has not yet been adapted for vB4. Neither has the vBExperience add-on, the thing that gave us the nifty activity graphs and allowed people to be awarded the cute little medal images for Forum activity. There's no telling when that's going to be ported up either. We are looking for something to replace it in the short term.

Templates: Old ones have gone, new ones are here. I'm in the process of looking over the ones we've installed so far to see which will be best to try to adapt for a look-and-feel like the older main Manual template. (The best candidate right now looks like the "Darkvision" template: it has good banner space up top, and if it can be tweaked to silver, it should work very well.)

Some of the templates are being a little troublesome, however. The StudioStyle template, which looked very promising, refuses to work properly on the front page, and I may remove it.

Also: is anyone else who uses Firefox having trouble with using the template picker at the bottom of each page? I am, and don't know if this is a local issue. The new template should load up and reload the page pretty quickly after you select a different one from the one you're using, but for me in Firefox, the page just sits there. I am not clear whether this has anything to do with content we've added at the bottom of the page (invisibly, after the copyright notice) to make the stats software work correctly. The picker works fine in IE, though.

Any other thoughts about old things missing / new ones behaving strangely? Post them here...
    Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; March 29, 2010, 07:39:42 PM.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

I really like the new forums overall, though I still prefered the old one.

Just a quick question: why does all the replies start off as Quick Replies, and we have to manually change it to "Go Advanced"? Just wondering...it would be helpfull if we didn't have to do that...

Another quick question: I like the Darksilver Template, but I agree that it would look MUCH better in silver or gray. I'm just wondering what exactly the picture is of.....i really can't tell
    All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Well, there is a setting for that, and theoretically I just set it. Which is why I'm now confused that I'm still getting the quick reply.

Maybe it's a caching issue. (crosses fingers)
      Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

I seem to be ok with the template picker. I'm running firefox v. 1.9.2.2 for Macintosh. If I choose a different one, it reloads the page. A couple of them look quite spiffy, Lee Dark Vision and Simple Black in particular. And when I clicked reply for this thread, it took me straight to the advanced response window

I've noticed that the "thanks" stats seem to have been reset too.

Comment

It may just be me, but hybrid mode doesn't seem to work when trying to access large threads, like ToGR. I tried with both Darkvision and Simpleblack modes, and it just loads a blank screen. Firefox 3.6.2, OSX 10.6.3
          Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
          Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Oh, it's not just you: I gave up on Hybrid shortly after the first few times I tried to load ToGR while using it. Couldn't figure out why everyone else saw it just fine....
            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
            X