Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMs and signatures

Hi, everyone!

First off, I'd like to say that I'm glad the forum structure has been re-thought; hopefully it'll be lighter on DD's wallet. I'm liking how the vBulletin version of the YW forums is so far.

The only big problem I have is that my private messages don't seem to have made it over here (there's nothing in my inbox or my sent items).

Also my signature was cut short. I'm not concerned about it since I can always re-create it, but I thought I'd let you know of the issue (or is it not an issue but an intentional character limit?).
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
    Hi, everyone!
    The only big problem I have is that my private messages don't seem to have made it over here (there's nothing in my inbox or my sent items).
    Same here. I'd suggest logging in to your old account and printing out anything you can't live without. I don't know why the import didn't handle them.

Also my signature was cut short. I'm not concerned about it since I can always re-create it, but I thought I'd let you know of the issue (or is it not an issue but an intentional character limit?).
    Yup, intentional limit. I just upped it by 100, but you might have to re-add the end. I'm not sure how it works here.
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion and fixing the signature problem.

On another note, I noticed that the threads that were carried over contain the Eve smilies; I noticed that the posts contain image codes pointing to part of the YW site that I'm guessing contain all the Eve smilies. Is there a way to incorporate those smilies to be used in the new system, or if I really felt like using the :bouncinghappy: smiley I'd have to find a link and copy the image code to use it?
      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Smilies

Don't image-link to the old smilies: those files will most likely be going away at the end of the year. I'm sure there are more smilies around that we could use, but we want to make sure we have all the bugs out before we add new things.
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Not an immediate or particularly distressing issue, but couldn't one save them to one's own webspace and img link that? Although I suppose that would lead to smilie copyright claims.
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Garrett: Sadly, I think you're right that they'll be deleted deleted when the old forums close, since the image links on this new system and the old system point to the .net domain (which I assume will be deleted in January so DD doesn't have to continue paying for it? ).

Comment

One of the minor difficulties with the import process from eve to here (excellent as it was in other ways) is that links back to image and user links at YW.net persist.

Once the old forums are shut down and the domain has been parked somewhere else (and yes, so DD won't have to pay for it) we'll be putting transparent forwarding info in place that will automatically see such links and rewrite them as links to YW.com. We'll try to house the smilies and so forth in similar directories at YW.com, so that the system knows where to look for them.

There are also some cleanup scripts that we can run on the forums between now and then to try to rewrite the links directly on the pages, rather than in the server's brain. The other admins and I will be looking into what the best strategies are for this.

Also, I believe we can import many of the familiar smilies from other sources -- that particular set is very widely used.

-- Lee
              Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

I noticed that in the old forum, there were multiple smilies in the list that were the same. Is that going to happen when you put them on here? I was also wondering why there are two lines before my signature. I haven't changed it yet since the forum switch, and it was only one line before.

Comment

^ vBulletin automatically inserts a line separating the post and the signature. The line is about an inch long (I'm not too good at measuring lines on a computer screen ). You probably have a line in your signature, too, so both the forum default line and the line that you put in your signature are there. That's one of the many small yet so sensible details vBulletin has that the Eve system doesn't.
                  Last edited by EricG1793; December 2, 2008, 08:28:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
                    ^ vBulletin automatically inserts a line separating the post and the signature. The line is about an inch long (I'm not too good at measuring lines on a computer screen ). You probably have a line in your signature, too, so both the forum default line and the line that you put in your signature are there. That's one of the many small yet so sensible details vBulletin has that the Eve system doesn't.
                    Thanks for the help I successfully edited my signature, even though it doesn't work right away. (apparently)
                    Edit:
                    Sorry, it showed up as a one liner in the post, after I sent it, so lets add something to it.

When I go to edit my signature, it still shows up as my previous signature, even though it posts the posts with the newer one. It confuses me, and if I just wanted to change a little part of the new signature, I'd have to retype the entire thing. Is there a way to change that?
                    Last edited by Gwendi; December 2, 2008, 09:13:09 PM. Reason: one liner, oops

Comment

Originally posted by Gwendi View Post
                      When I go to edit my signature, it still shows up as my previous signature, even though it posts the posts with the newer one. It confuses me, and if I just wanted to change a little part of the new signature, I'd have to retype the entire thing. Is there a way to change that?
                      Try hitting refresh when you're on the edit-the-signature page: that will probably fix it.

vBulletin seems to be a bit over-aggressive about page caching. :-(

Comment

Will we be allowed to have images in our signatures now? Other forums that use vBulletin allow it. They even put limits on the images to save bandwidth. Just a thought.

Like this forum for example. :P
                        http://forums.khinsider.com/

They use vBulletin. I also work there. So I have an idea of how the system works. xD
                        Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                        Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

Originally posted by spyells View Post
                          Will we be allowed to have images in our signatures now?
                          Nope. I've seen the results on other boards: catastrophic might be an exaggeration, but not by much. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                            Nope. I've seen the results on other boards: catastrophic might be an exaggeration, but not by much. :-)
                            I still don't understand what you mean by catastrophic. I mean there is never a problem on other boards. In fact it's just fine. =(
                            Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                            Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

You'll note those other boards are also plastered with ads, which probably help to pay for the extra bandwidth usage. You sure you wanna continue to lobby to spend more of DD's money and increase the clutter on the board?
                              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X