Something strange... a time warp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something strange... a time warp?

Hello, this is my first post for the forums, though I signed up a long time ago.

My question: Why does the little blue welcome box above tell me that my last visit was on January 1st, 1970??? I was only two and a half back then, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't on a computer. (which we didn't have at the time.)

I think it's a bug. Mine says June 2nd, 2005 at 07:25 PM
    Selden

Comment

Probably something to do with the new software and porting over old members - since we've never been to this site, it may just set the 'last visited' as the oldest date it can find.
      Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
      Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanda Vaughn View Post
        Hello, this is my first post for the forums, though I signed up a long time ago.

My question: Why does the little blue welcome box above tell me that my last visit was on January 1st, 1970??? I was only two and a half back then, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't on a computer. (which we didn't have at the time.)
        It's probably because you didn't have any posts before. If you didn't do anything to tell the system when your last visit was, it had to go with a default date.
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Mine said December 31st, 1969. I logged out and back in again and it's OK now.
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

*headdesk*

Oh, man, don't tell me that every single use of HTML got rewritten in the conversion... I don't want to have to come up with a SQL command to fix it on the back end...
            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I think it's mostly just the color tag that's horked. But yeah, some of the html coding doesn't seem to have translated well. And pity me and all the FAQ re-orging I'm gonna have to do. (sigh).
              ---
              addendum: lists are also horked. Fingers crossed the script works!
              Last edited by Kathy Li; December 2, 2008, 09:52:28 PM.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

There's a cleanup script that I haven't run yet which theoretically will deal with the HTML problems. I'll be taking a closer look at it tomorrow. G, I'll send you a copy later.
                Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Enfield-Burke View Post
                  There's a cleanup script that I haven't run yet which theoretically will deal with the HTML problems. I'll be taking a closer look at it tomorrow. G, I'll send you a copy later.
                  Thanks, Lee. Writing the RegExp to do the change wouldn't have been difficult: trying to figure out how to get MySQL to actually use it would have. :-)

Earlier, I created a [STRIKE] BBCode tag to do strikethrus, since we seem to have lost the ability somewhere along the way. If anyone sees any other major HTML/BBCode losses, let me know, and I'll try to come up with an equivalent.

Geez, that notice I put in is annoying, isn't it? Sorry about that, but I want to make sure everyone sees it. Drove me crazy on the last vBulletin system I was on until I figured it out.
                  Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 2, 2008, 09:12:01 PM.

Comment

Ummm, I was just over in the misc. forum thread (the one that has the post "Is All Well?" and something about DD's short stories) and it seems that there is a coding issue on the whited out spoiler cover (there was text that had symbols around it, and you could still see what the person typed without dragging your pointer over it, maybe just me?) thought I'd let some one know....

Just an example of what I'm seeing:

Charming little bonbon of a story. I particularly liked how (spoilers whited out) [<span class="ev_code_white">our hero's Manual was a smartphone and the idea of a Graffiti version of the Speech, and that Carl was his Advisory.</span>] Not an absolutely necessary addition to your YW collection, but certainly fun. And I'm definitely looking forward to sitting down and reading the Esther Friesner story.
                    Last edited by Stormwind; December 3, 2008, 04:56:26 AM.
                    There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                    "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

*sigh* Yeah, Lee has a script that should fix all of those, she just hasn't had a chance to run it yet. In the meantime, going forward you should use the [spoiler] tag.

Comment

January 1st, 1970 is Unix time zero. I guess, if you havn't got a "last visit" time set then the system may think you last visited at time zero. I guess it really ought to spot the silliness, but maybe it's a lot of effort for no serious return.
                        -- Rick.

Comment

Thanks Garrett, I'll just check back later, I know how new systems can drive admins and mods nuts.... I'm a Mod on and RP site, or was, and I'd get code and all sorts of other things I don't understand flashing at me... I'll let you all know if I see anything else. :P
                          There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                          "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Originally posted by Wanda Vaughn View Post

If you didn't have any activity on the previous forum, the system that imported your membership info simply assigned you the earliest date that the Unix (server) system uses, which is 1/1/70.
                            Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                            X