X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Members Help Suggestion

DO NOT!!
    Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
    Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

I really like that idea, Spyells. I think that it would be a little more helpful if newbies had more places to look for such things, so they know the rules, and don't break them. It would also help other non- newbies (such as people after their first 10 posts- don't attack me for my definition of newbies, but after your first 10, you're expected to follow the rules)to find a place quickly where they can check back at the rules for a reminder. So I think that I agree with you spyells. Maybe one of the admins would do that. I don't think that we can.
    Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Good idea. I think that would help a lot. Sometimes the "Dai Stiho, cousin! Introduce yourself here!" thread doesn't show up on the recent post section, like when no one's posted in it for months, so most new-newbies don't really see it in the beginning. It's a nice gesture. I can see that would help the newbies out.
      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I agree with what Emi said. Oftentimes, great threads for newbies disappear, and they'd have to be told about the threads, and then they'd have to look for them.... With a box containing links to threads such as that, they'd always be visible to newbies, and they wouldn't get closed or disappear.

Spyells, I think you pretty much have the list covered.... FAQs, Dai Stiho thread, What first got you in to the YW series.... I think that's everything. Maybe the box could be titled "Links for Newbies", or something to that effect. That's the best I can think of right now, but I'm sure someone else can come up with something better. Also, I'm glad that what you've seen of my experiences hasn't discouraged you from coming up with great suggestions. Keep it up!

(Looks at the top of the main Forums page) As of this minute, there isn't much room to put something like that.... However, the "Countdown to AWoM" widget isn't being used anymore. The time of its countdown was weeks ago. So the Links for Newbies box could go there. As for the ChipIn widget, that's fine on the Forums and Chat gateway. However, that's not being used, either.... I'm surprised it hasn't been reset. It was a success, after all, when it was first put up.

Wolfy, I hereby place a Shield from Attacking on you (for you saying, "don't attack me for my definition of newbies").
        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Ummmm, maybe something like 'Forum Guide for Newbies' or something like that... I don't know. I think that instead of all of these temporary things being in place, like Eric said, we could get rid of the countdown, and place the newbie forum links box there, as it would be something that would be used constantly. Anyway, thanks for the shield Eric. I shall use it well. *bows and then looks up, and runs off to work on impending homework*.

Comment

I ask you to think about it and figure out if its worth having. Do people only look in the recently posted topics for places to post? If the majority of people don't I'm not sure it does much beyond make the forum page busier -which would probably hurt it if there's not good reason to have it there.

I'm asking because there is the whole " Newbie Zone: Frequently Asked Questions and Other Stuff "
            section, which has the welcome and the FAQs stickied so they're permantantly on the top. I know as a newbie I looked into the 'newbie zone' expecting there to be things like FAQs, a welcome thread of some sort, etc. If this is the normal response I think it'd just make the site less clean and thus I'd be against it.

On the other hand, if most people don't look into the newbie zone when newbies, that may be an appropriate response- though I don't really see why someone wouldn't look into the newbie zone and would look at that.
            We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

When I first joined I actually saw the Dai Stiho Cousin! Introduce your self here thread on the recently posted box, that's how I found it. But I do see your point... It was my first time actually on a forum site so I probably wouldn't even think of them having a Newbie section. I don't know... ha I'm getting confused.
              Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
              Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
              It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
              Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Originally posted by Tuttle:
                I ask you to think about it and figure out if its worth having. Do people only look in the recently posted topics for places to post? If the majority of people don't I'm not sure it does much beyond make the forum page busier -which would probably hurt it if there's not good reason to have it there.

I'm asking because there is the whole " Newbie Zone: Frequently Asked Questions and Other Stuff "
                section, which has the welcome and the FAQs stickied so they're permantantly on the top. I know as a newbie I looked into the 'newbie zone' expecting there to be things like FAQs, a welcome thread of some sort, etc. If this is the normal response I think it'd just make the site less clean and thus I'd be against it.

On the other hand, if most people don't look into the newbie zone when newbies, that may be an appropriate response- though I don't really see why someone wouldn't look into the newbie zone and would look at that.
                expect the new members to automatically

Comment

And don't call her ignorant for not knowing that. This "Eve" platform is different than many platforms to use. It can be very complicated.

When I first joined, I had problems with all of the different "content islands", as I suppose they're called. Over a dozen different sub-sections, and four or five different main sections... it can be confusing. I'm certainly not saying that the forums should be reorganized. No, that'd be terrible, and it'd cause more confusion for us than it would for newbies. My point is, when you first come here, you don't know what to look for, and where to look for it. Just a little, 3x3 (inch) box would make SO much difference to newbies.

I agree with spyells on everything else she said, but I won't get in any deeper than that and cause a major argument.
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Yes, i agree. when I first came here, all I knew how to use was the forum topics in the recently posted in box. I was really confused. So I explored it a bit, and I eventually figured it out, but i think that is really hard for people to do, especially if they have never been on forums before. and I think that it will help a lot of people, so it's worth the little 3" by 3" box- if even that big. also, I think that we should get rid of the parts that aren't being used, such as the countdown widget. Anyway, I'm not trying to flame anyone or anything, but i am trying to state my beliefs in an unhurtful way.

Tuttle: I see your point, and am not trying to flame you or anything. please don't take it that way. It's good that we have different opinions in the forums, as it help the discussion, and I hope that you aren't offended.

Comment

You know what, I think that this, or what you call flaming, Spyells, is being handed out on both sides. I can think of two or three posts that I have made that I would truly consider flaming, although I guess that other people may consider things differently. (And while I do not think that I should have to add this in, I am making sure that I am being perfectly clear, so that everyone understands me) I am not picking on anyone when I say this, I am merely expressing my opinion, which is an important part of a discussion.

I can remember when I joined, and I got told the rules after my first couple of posts. I didn't think that anyone was flaming me when people were just explaining the rules, or pointing me towards the FAQs. I think what has annoyed me most about some of the new members here that may have got my back up, is that they had to be told multiple times, and that they never seemed to either have a) read the FAQs, or b) have read the FAQs and were completely ignoring them.

Sometimes people have to consider that it is their actions that make people react in certain ways.

That being said. Maybe a link to help out new members would not be such a bad idea, although when you consider how often we get new members who actually post... maybe not. What about placing it in the top link bar, where we have the links to 'The Books', 'Premium Content Area' etc.?

Most of the new members seem to find their way to the areas that they want, whether it be one of the chatter places, the new members thread or even foraying into the TOGR. The posts that I have made introducing people always pointed them to the three different FAQs - and the Injokes thread at the time that it was really relevant.

Eric: In my experience, every forum is different. It is a matter of adjusting to those differences. And when did anyone call spyells ignorant?

Comment

I wasn't accusing anyone of calling her ignorant. I was just saying that to (hopefully) prevent people from doing so (or implying it).

What about placing it in the top link bar, where we have the links to 'The Books', 'Premium Content Area' etc.?
                        -alla

That sounds like a good idea. But I'm not completely clear with it. My fault, sorry. Could you be a little more specific, please?

Comment

Sure

Up the top of the main page of the forums (and I'd take a screen shot, but I've never quite figured out how on Lappy. And before anyone says anything, no its not just a matter of hitting print screen ), we have a blue link bar, which contains the 'the books', 'Premium Content Area', 'Chat area', 'YW News and Events', 'Signings and appearences', 'Current excerpt' and '(we)blog' links. I don't know if it is possible, or how the logistics would work, considering that we have three different FAQs threads, but I think a link up there could be the best place. It would be prominent for new members to be able to find them, and an easy access for older members to refresh their knowledge of them.

Comment

Oh, NOW I see. That would be a great place in terms of space-saving issues. But even up there isn't a place I look at very often. But that would be a good place....

As is my new saying when I give out suggestions, "I'm sure everyone has a better idea." So, everyone... any more ideas?

Comment

That sounds pretty good Alla. I like that idea. And it wouldn't take up too much space on the forum. So I'm guessing that means that it wouldn't increase the forum bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
                              X