This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Member

Could someone tell me what is a "potential member"?

It doesn't feel, It doesn't hear,
    It doesn't laughs or cry, All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Uhm- presumably it's someone who isn't signed in but is viewing the sign-in box. So, they could be a potential member, if they decide to register and become a member.
    I assume.
    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
    Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Oh, Ok

It doesn't feel, It doesn't hear,
      It doesn't laughs or cry, All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
      Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

That's right: that's how the system classifies someone who's either still looking at the "sign in" box or is presently filling out their registration info.

Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Uh this kinda has to do with the subject. Someone I know, not very well, tried to sign up last week but they haven't shown up on the new members board yet. How long does it usually take to become a new member after you sign up? I can't remember.

*Agent~M*

I'm a walking talking dictionary, until you ask me about America.
          *Agent~M*
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
          "I could live

Comment

Someone I know, not very well, tried to sign up last week but they haven't shown up on the new members board yet. How long does it usually take to become a new member after you sign up? I can't remember.
            Well, it depends on a number of things. A person will not show up officially as a new member until I or one of the Forum-admin-staff-in-training confirm the membership.

This doesn't happen unless an applicant satisfies our main requirement, which is that people ***must*** give us a valid e-mail address when they sign up -- not "munged" or altered to confuse spammers, not a dead address, one with a full mailbox, or any address that for some reason or another can't receive messages from the forum-admin team. Also, the person registering must be able to ***respond** to our confirmation message to them within a week. Despite these requirements being plastered all over the sign-up page, nevertheless about thirty people a week sign up with "dud" addresses, or don't (or can't or won't) respond to our multiple confirmation messages within that time.

If your friend has not become a member yet, you might want to ask them whether they've received a message from the Forum software that contains a URL for them to click on. If they clicked on it and nothing happened, this may be due to their having an account with AOL, MSN, Yahoo, or one of the other major free e-mail providers -- some of them have trouble with the software.

Sometimes there are other problems, like people registering with names that are nothing but punctuation (we have one potential member with a username of "?" whom we've already e-mailed about this problem) or a "reserved" name which DD has asked us not to issue (variants of the "Lone Power" name are the major offender in this regard). We always e-mail such applicants several times. If they don't respond, we kill their registrations.

If someone has an AOL or similar address which we know can have problems using the click-on address-verification URL, we always e-mail them at least three times. If we hear nothing, we kill the registration.

If your friend thinks that something's gone wrong with the e-mail verification process, have them e-mail me at forum-administration@youngwizards.net and I'll sort things out.

Comment

My friend is a member now. But she never showed up on the new members list.

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "I could live

Comment

Hmm...that's a little strange. But one thing that can cause it is if we register a large number of new members at one time (say, more than five); the "oldest" of the new members then scrolls off the bottom of the list before anyone really has a chance to see them.

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks!

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
                  "I could live

Comment

Oh wait, she's on there now! O.k. Nevermind! Thanks anyways!

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
                    "I could live

Comment

Working...
                    X