This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message pruning time in "Chatter II"

We're very close to the 5000-message limit for the "Chatter II" forum. Accordingly, when we hit 5000 messages, the oldest 1000 messages in the forum will be pruned.

By the way, just as a matter of interest, Infopop informs us that the new Forum software to be introduced at the end of the year will allow "message archiving", so that old messages can be stored for referral without driving up DD's bandwidth costs. Members will be able to look at archived messages, though it won't be possible to edit them or reply to them.

Lee / Forum Administrator
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Archiving is a good thing...

Might I request that you be selective in things you consign to the Dumpster? For example, I wouldn't really mind if, after Halloween, the entire "seasonal" thread I started went away, but I would like to retain as much of "the war" thread as possible. It's accruing only 2-3 messages per day now, and if too much of the beginning disappears, it's like trying to follow a book with the first 3 chapters ripped out. Once it stops getting posts, then it can be archived (I hope!), but for now, I find it an enjoyable exercise.

Thank you for your attention.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Archiving. Cool! That way we'll still be able to look at our ancient history.... What meterorite says, I'd like, but the problem is, that's a lot of work for Lee, isn't it? To cut specific messages? Or do you do it that way anyway?

*Ella*

"'I wish none of this had happened.'
      'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'"
      -The Fellowship of the Ring
      *Ella*
      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
      What could mean more than this?"
      --Bright Eyes

Comment

Mmph, if selective dumping isn't a problem (that would be if it was manual to start with?) I'm also for keeping some and trashing others... I know it was a little irritating when all of the "DD talks about the books" posts vanished into thin air- I had to check something in one of them and, durnit, it wasn't there... and since they don't accrue posts at all, they would definitely vanish every time we had a whole-board pruning. And I don't think they count as waste of space...
        T

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
        --Agent M
        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Birdhead: If, perchance, you were looking for the 'Meeting the Transcendent Pig' post, it is still available in its original location on rec.arts.sf.fandom (in case you didn't already know --I found out about this location from one of the comments made when DD posted the story on her weblog [though it seems to have disappeared from there also]).

Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
          Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

*bounce* It was, and it's back, and I'm happy! *GRIN* Cheers,
            T

--Agent M

Comment

Comment

*splutter* you remember the _exact wording_?
                You are a strange, strange person.
                A _nice_ strange person, but strange nevertheless.
                *Becomes aware of the board she is posting on*
                Oh. That was kinda redundant, wasn't it?

--Agent M

Comment

i don't mind this one bit, except for the birthday posts...

>Naomi<

"Winners are people like Us!"

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X