X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for moderators

Folks,

After a considerable period during which the Forums have run with only three admin staff, it's come time to add some personnel.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First of all, it's simply a good idea to have some extra people trained in moderation who can take over in case one or more of the normal staff have an emergency (or a well-deserved vacation) and can't be here. But also, it's time to spread around some of the responsibility for keeping things here running on a day to day basis, and give the present staff a little bit of a break.

The duties involved aren't incredibly involved: we'll help our new moderators ease into the role, show them how the moderation control panel / interface works, and generally show them the ropes. What we're asking for is a time commitment of a few hours a week from each mod.

I'm inviting those who'd be willing to serve to drop me a private message. There are also a few of you who I've had my eye on for a while who I'll be contacting privately.

Thanks, all!
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Is there any update to this?
    Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
    Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

DD? Lee? Kathy? Sarek? Anyone?
      Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
      Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean L. View Post
        DD? Lee? Kathy? Sarek? Anyone?
        Last time I pinged Lee, I didn't hear anything back -- it's not like there's a lot of traffic to moderate at the moment, at least...
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Good luck in your search, guys.
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Wow! How exciting would it be to be a moderator for the Young Wizards site!? It would be every fans dream! Except for the fact these are pretty old posts, maybe active posting in it will bring it to the for front of everyone's mind? I remember moderating sites. . . . I once was promoted Admin to one Eragon RP site back when it was huge (before the movie). It had around abouts 250 members and second most popular RP site for the series before everyone moved on to Twilight . . .

But being a moderator means the content and the site itself becomes your lifes blood! I would apply for mod. if I wasn't so new here. . .

So I second Mr. Eric in good huntings!
            Give a man a fish, and he'll stink up the entire village. Give him a fishing pole, and he'll poke your eye out.... See where I'm going?

Comment

The few people who do post here have made it obvious that they're not robots trying to sell you inappropriate goods, so at the moment there isn't much to moderate.

Maybe any decisions were put on the backburner since it really is quiet here. It'd be nice to see what's up now since the call was posted last July.
              How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
              You poke her face.

Comment

I guess a bit depends on what moderators are expected to do. Are they just there to delete the odd inappropriate post and move a few things to appropriate locations, or ar they going to take a more active role, keeping discussions moving, steering the conversation a little as required, and throwing in new subjects when things seem to be getting slow?
                -- Rick.

Comment

Yeah, it would depend on what the moderators were expected to do. I've posted at some places where we never got to see moderators talk as members probably because they were busy dousing flames, banning trolls and cleaning up disasterous messes. They'd only post about "business" stuff because some of these places can't be kept under control despite forum rules and staff to try and keep the worst stuff down.

Dumbed down from a game site comic, a perfectly reasonable individual in real life, given the opportunity to be anonymous through the Internet, can become an absolute jerk while doing stuff on the Internet if he can get the right audience.

Obviously this isn't the case all the time (and from what I've seen, definitely not here) and the moderators here probably don't have to worry about such people. I know many moderators who talk just like regular members and deal with problems when they arise.

As much as I came to hate Sony's Playstation forums, their moderators did have a good saying in their signatures: "Member first, moderator second."

Back to the "call for moderators", I'd throw my hat in but I don't think I've been here long enough to be considered for being a mod and I'm in the habit of not asking since most places say "if you ask then you definitely WON'T be picked." From my experience people who are good and helpful members get picked, so if you're either of those you're in the good books.

Although when the staff are asking for interest then that's an entirely different matter.
                  How do you wake Lady Gaga up in the morning?
                  You poke her face.

Comment

The role of a moderator is an interesting topic. An ideal moderator depends on the individual forum, so, to me, an ideal moderator for us is the type we have now. They keep things tidy and "rule" with a fair judgment, yet they have contributed more to actual YW discussion than most members have.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that way. From the sounds of it, Lee's looking for more help with the housekeeping part, so someone who hasn't been here as long but yet has strong activity and shows good etiquette and understanding of forum life might be fine.

I have come to find that people who ask for higher positions on forums/RPs out of the blue do tend to be the wrong candidates (*raises guilty hand*), but there are exceptions.

Either way, I trust that the next moderator will be a positive asset to the forum. Even if there isn't another one, you're all right, it is pretty quiet here (in terms of troublemakers; I don't know about recent activity). One of the things I enjoy about this forum is our ability to have meaningful discussions without 95% of the usual drama that occurs on a forum... a skill I learned here the hard way that I have come to greatly appreciate, along with the patience of all those "oldbies" who contributed to said learning process.
                    Last edited by EricG1793; January 19, 2012, 05:31:47 PM.
                    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Working...
                    X