This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-liners

Folks, DD had a look through the message base this morning and became, uh, rather annoyed over how many messages have only one line in them, or one or two lines with no significant content. I have been pruning out such messages fairly aggressively, especially in Chatter II, but it doesn't seem to be helping...they just seem to keep coming back.

So here's what we're going to start doing about it. Come the beginning of each week, until further notice, DD is going to sample a week's worth of the messages from our most frequent posters and see how many of their messages are one-liners and/or relatively content-free. If a given user's "one-liner/poor-content" percentage goes above ten percent, that user's posts will be moderated for the next week.

This means that every message that user tries to post will go into the moderation queue for approval by me before it can appear in the forums, and only messages that have some meat on their bones will be passed through. DD and I both hope that this measure will give the posters in question a clearer idea of what we're looking for in forum usage.

Lee / Forum Administrator

If a given user's "one-line/poor-content" percentage goes above ten percent, that user's posts will be moderated for the next week.
    What exactly do you mean by "poor content"?

*Ella*

"'I wish none of this had happened.'
    'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'"
    -The Fellowship of the Ring
    *Ella*
    "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
    There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
    And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
    What could mean more than this?"
    --Bright Eyes

Comment

Oh, my gosh. Why does it say I have 301 posts? Did I break a rule or something? Oh, my gosh...

*Ella*

"'I wish none of this had happened.'
      'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'"
      -The Fellowship of the Ring
      *Ella*
      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
      What could mean more than this?"
      --Bright Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by EWizard11:
        If a given user's "one-line/poor-content" percentage goes above ten percent, that user's posts will be moderated for the next week.
        What exactly do you mean by "poor content"?
        It's going to vary from user to user. But the two main offenses would be:

• One-word posts with four lines of signature after them.
      • One-line or just-a-bit-more-than-one-line posts that say nothing that particularly advances or enhances the topic being discussed. Also posts whose obvious (sometimes avowed) intent is to drive up the posters' message count.

We're not going to come down on anyone who does this kind of thing only occasionally. But people who do it repeatedly, more or less without thinking about it, are going to be encouraged to think about it by having their posts go through moderation first.

The forum bandwidth went way up this last month -- driven up that high by the accretion of some twelve thousand new messages in the Chatter areas. Sixty percent of these were messages of the two sorts above. Many of them were messages being left approximately once every three to five minutes for other people also on the boards...stuff that could have been much better handled in chat.

I've spent some days now, at DD's direction, getting the "non-book" parts of the Forums pared down to a more reasonable fraction of the total message "weight". Now the informal /chatter areas are approximately thirty percent of the total message load, as opposed to approximately eighty percent of it...as they were before. And that's the way we'll be keeping it.

Comment

Oops. I'm sorry. I might have made one before I read this. I try my best. I really do. After you read this you can delete it to conserve space. I don't mind.

brokencello
        the crinkled paper bag
        "Life isn't like the movies, Toto."
        --Alfredo, Cinema Paradiso
        brokencello
        the crinkled paper bag
        "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• Working...
          X