X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Of "The Topic of Great Randomness"

Folks,

Here's a great way to save the messages you like best for future, uh, generations. Save them in the new Forum structure over at YoungWizards.com.

It's built rather differently than the forums here, but you won't have too much trouble managing it after the first couple of times. Here's what you do:

(a) Join the website over there. (Please note that it's an entirely different site from this one, and your YW.Net login will not work there. You need to join again. You can use the same username you use here, if you like (and if no one else has taken it).

When you join, the system will send you an email with a link to click, to complete your registration. Just follow the instructions as usual.

Once you've joined: In the original Forum, find the message you're interested in copying. Highlight the message body only. DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THE POSTER'S SIG[NATURE]. Pull down your browser's "edit" menu and click "copy": or on a Windows machine, hit control-C if you prefer.

Then go here, to the "Best of the Topic Of Great Randomness" topic. At the top of the listing, click on "Post new Forum topic."

A whole new page structure will present itself. There'll be a line labeled "Subject". Put something about the subject of the message here. DON'T LEAVE THIS BLANK.

Scroll down a little, past the "Body" box. You'll see a little link right under it that says "Enable rich-text". Click on this. The box will turn white.

Click inside the box once to put your cursor there. Then hit "paste" on your edit menu, or control-V. The text you copied from the original message, and its formatting, will appear in the box.

Scroll down a little more to the link that says "Input format". Click on it and it will pop down three radio-button choices: filtered HTML, PHP code or Full HTML. Click on the third one.

Ignore all the other menu items underneath. Click on "Submit."

You're done!

Again: please do not copy people's Sigs over: they waste too much valuable disk space. Also, at the top of the message, you might like to write a little something about why you think it should be saved or why you found it memorable.

And please note that these messages really should be the BEST of TOGR. If the mods feel a message doesn't rise to a high enough standard, we reserve the right to erase it.

All clear? Then go have fun!
    Lee / Forum Administrator

I wasn't going to post anything in that thread (not yet, anyway), but I was just going to check out the interface (I didn't even know there were active forums at YW.com until this post) and I'm missing some of the controls that you mention in this post (or at least they don't seem to be where you say they are).

I can offer you a screen shot of what I see, but it's way too big to post here. Should I Email it to you?
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

No need, I think we're sorted.
      Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
      X