This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Packs! Come and get 'em!

Okay, this is the only newbie pack I could find. I updated it some, but it is in essence the same.

Your FREE Newbie pack, created by Tui, expanded by Ella, and edited by Amber:
    -1 get-away-from-Aurora Free ticket
    -1 virtual muffin (banana chocolate chip or other on request)
    -2 warnings
    -Several pieces of helpful advice

First Warning: Do not, on ANY account, call the person whose username is marniebrown1 marnie, Marnie, Marnie Brown, marniebrown, or any variation thereof. Call her Agent M, or M. Violations of this rule could result in grave injury. You've been warned.

Second Warning: don't mess with Aurora. don't fight with Aurora. Don't do anything that will lead people to call in Aurora. She's dangerous. Simple ways to avoid being hurt by Aurora: Don't diss anime/manga. don't call M*********** well... you know what I mean. Be polite about her friends- actually, this should go without saying: be polite and respectful of everyone. Other than that, though, you should be fine...she's much mellower now than she used to be.

Helpful advice:
    Do not expect to retain your sanity if you visit at all regularly. It just doesn't happen.

Don't expect to stay on topic. As can be noted in any given post, even posts with the most on-topic intentions crumble into miscellaneous in-jokes and Chatter after a while.

Obviously most of these boards are dedicated to the books, as most of its members are, but Chatter II and The Topic of Great Randomness--a topic that Ella started but then got so big that it got its own forum--are for the random, non-Young Wizards chat stuff. We ask that it stays there. Also, it's a big thing around here, but DD herself pays for these posts, so please please please THINK before you write. No one-line posts, or, (God forbid!) one-WORD posts. But I'm sure that'll be no problem.

Note spelling. Many of us are spelling and grammar freaks; misspellings drive us nuts. We can deal with them, but PLEASE capitalise your "I"s? Please? We also prefer that people don't use netspeak, if you can avoid it.

Beware. Sometimes we talk in other languages. You WILL pick up at least two words of Japanese (bishounen, which means pretty boy, and kawaii, which means cute, are the most common offenders.) We also break into French and Spanish when we're bored.

You may hear something about the Evil Bunny Avatar. DON'T listen. The bunny is papercrane's avatar, and it's KAWAII! Very Kawaii! It's the KBA!

Most of us are Americans, but we've got quite a few nationalities around here, and obviously quite a few belief systems. R-E-S-P-E-C-T is the ultimate. And, of course, being insane and having fun--because all of us are friends.

Questions? Ask. If any of this sounds intimidating, which I hope it doesn't, it's not representative of the forums. We like new people, and not just in roasts.

The White Forest (http://www.avidgamers.com/whiteforest/) is a popular RPG around here; it's an especially good way to get to know other members fast.

Right. Did I miss anything?
    My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

I'd like topoint out that I never got a newbie pack when I was a newbie (or at any time subsequently).Is there any chance that someone could assemble an oldie pack? Or should oldiesdo the oposite, and use this thread to dispence reams (well, screenfulls of good advice)?
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Here's an add to the NB.
      We also speak Spanish, sometimes for a page or two.
      penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Z:
        Already got that. See note above KBA.

Wilf:
        What would be the point of an oldbie pack, though? Newbie packs are to give newbies a few survival tips.
        And yeah, this thread is sort of a general advice-for-newbies thread. So any advice from oldbies would be a happy thing.
        OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

I never got a newbie pack when I joined. And when we do start talking in Spanish, please, uh, ignore my awful Spanish. Next year I'll see if I can ditch Spanish and take Latin. Latin is cool!

Oh yeah. Off topic happens A LOT. And I get POed when people have really bad spelling CONSTANTLY, use netspeak, and make way too many other mistakes. Call me Gryphon, please. NOT Skitty. Fail to obey my rules and you'll have to listen to the infamous black puffball for LIFE.

Yes, yes, yes, join the White Forest!
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Don't worry Skitty, I didn't get a newbie pack either

Don't give up spanish! spanish is great!

No lo dejes, es divertido cuando aprendes bien. Yo hablo español como primer lenguaje así que te puedo ayudar.
            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

re never-getting-newbie-packs: That's what this thread is for.

re Spanish: Sí, me encantaba español tambien. ¡Creo que es más divertido que latin! (Was that phrased correctly? And how do you say 'latin' in spanish? The only thing I could think of was 'latino,' and that didn't sound right to me.)
              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Spanish.... I liked it a week ago, now I don't. Erm... Me gusta pollo! Um... There was an Oral test, I had to ask my teacher questions... "Bailas en la cocina el sabado?" I'm not very good at spanish.
                I was here before n00b packs were invented. I thought Tui did the newbie packs? Course she's in NYC... Did she get back yet?
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

There've been so many newbies and unofficial newbie packs that I finally did what we've been saying we'd do for ages: make a thread about it.
                  Didn't we talk about this in TTOGR?
                  --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Yep, she's back! (only as I understand it she doesn't have as much time to do newbie packs anymore)

Comment

Erm... Some of us here don't speak spanish... the only spanish I know is stuff that's close to English and French, and I know what "Porque?" is.

It might be noted we have some French-speakers here too, and that those here that don't speak Spanish sometimes feel left out.

Mais, je pense que le français est la meilleure langue...

^^ Ne me tue pas, s'il vous plait.

Comment

Yes, well, those who don't speak French feel left out too. Nothing really important is ever said in either language, though...and there's always babel fish if you really don't get it.
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Heh, and those lonely few of us that don't speak either feel left out x 10!! OK 2 makes more sense, but well exactly! I don't feel like making since. It is fun to confuse people!!
                          ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                          Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                          HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                          My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

Oui oui, j'ai retourne', et c'est vrai que je n'ai pas beaucoup de temps pour faire les "n00b packs," alors je suis heureuse qu'Amber a fait ce topique. Merci ma cherie!!
                            Et c'est vrai aussi que le francais est la meilleur langue. En fait j'adore le francais.

For the francophobes: "Yes yes, I'm back, and it's true that I don't have a lot of time so make n00b packs, so I'm glad Amber made this topic. Thanks darling!
                            And it's true, as well, that French is the best language. In fact I love french."
                            I suppose I should note that some of this phrasing sounds odd in English. Half of that has to do with the way you write/speak/phrase in French, which is different to English, and the other half is due to a lack of vocab and structures on my behalf.

bisous bisous mes amis. Look that one up on babelfish!

[This message was edited by Birdhead on 18 March 2004 at 22:35.]
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Yeah y'all! Anyone remember me? I remember you! I used to be active on this board around this time last year . . . I think something about May testing season drives me to it.

Anyway, obviously a lot has changed since then. So although I am not a newbie, I'd like to ask a question for the newbie packs: what chatter topics do you all get sick of hearing about?

Hacia mi examen de espanol en jueves. Era muy horible, pero pienso que yo (Como se dice "will pass"? No se!) . . . Pueden mirar porque fue malo!

Wow, that was terrible. I'll never be ready for the IB Spanish test.
                              Rowen Avalon

"I told you she was going to turn you into a soggy beermat. No one ever listens to me." - Jonny, AWAb (My fav moment!)
                              "IB helps you with stress management. It throws all this stress at you and says, 'Manage it!' Then you have your b

Comment

Working...
                              X