Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Chime" in-forum chat room enabled!

We've now enabled the Forums' own chatroom facility -- the "Chime" part of the "Eve" platform. The chat room has a maximum capacity of 20 people: this should be sufficient, as most chats until now have contained far fewer people than that at a time. If it turns out that we later need more room, we can enlarge it.

(Please note that as of Wednesday morning, we're having some technical difficulties with the chatroom -- the chat window doesn't seem to want to load completely -- but we'll be getting those sorted out with Infopop over the course of the day.)

The new chatroom has some neat features, such as the ability to display users' custom icons next to their names when they post a message in chat, and a feature which shows when a member is composing a response (before they actually post it).

At the moment you can access the new chatroom in two different ways. (1) You can log into the Forums as usual, and access the chatroom from the News Gateway page -- use the link to it in the upper right-hand column. The gateway page will also feature a list of who's in chat at the moment (look down at the bottom of the right-hand column). Or (2) you can go directly to the chatroom's own gateway page at http://www.youngwizards.net/groupee/chat. (The "Eve" platform will ask you for your Forum username and password to log in, not for the separate SigmaChat username/passwords you've been issued.)

We're hoping this new setup will simplify things for everybody, and also cure the login problems that some members have been having.

For a short time, links to the old SigmaChat chatroom will remain at the top of all the YW.Net pages, but the link to the old chatroom will be removed from the main YW.Com page today, and the new one will be linked to instead. The SigmaChat chatroom will remain in service until June 10th, when we'll be shutting it down. From then on, the "chat" links at the top of the YW.Net pages will lead to the Chime chatroom.

Please also note that DD's chat on June 5th will be taking place in the new chatroom, not the old one.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

I definatly LOVE!! The other chat better sorry to say. This one takes forever to load been waiting for like half an hour!! still nothing!!!. I got on earlyer with NO! Problem at some other place! this one just dosn't work for me sorry to say!! but I am glad you got it working for others! This way I might not be able to chat if you get rid of the old one if I can't that will be really sad
    "We pray for our sorrows to end,
    and hope that our hearts will blend.
    Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
    And who knows:
    starting a new journey may not be so hard
    or maybe it has already begun.
    There are many worlds,
    but they

Comment

Lee, Peter Murray and I are successfully able to use Chime. We're both on Macs (OSX), and using Firefox as browsers. Hope that helps!

As I mentioned before, both Safari and Opera7 (both mac and Windows versions) seem to be incompatible with Chime.
      ---
      [added text]
      Also did a test with IE and Firefox on Windows XP, and they appear to work fine. However, there were a few problems if you did multiple logins from multiple machines simultaneously.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

WHY WON'T IT WORK FOR ME!!!!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! This is so disaponiting I might never be able to chat again *crys*
        "We pray for our sorrows to end,
        and hope that our hearts will blend.
        Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
        And who knows:
        starting a new journey may not be so hard
        or maybe it has already begun.
        There are many worlds,
        but they

Comment

'Lissa, Lee's going to figure it out--it doesn't work for her, either. And if it doesn't work for Lee, it probably doesn't work for DD, so I doubt it'll stay the way it is.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

This chat sounds really neat and all, but I can't log into it!!! The page will not load; I've had it up forever and even tried it a second time. It's driving me mad! The next chat is soon, and I'm sure a lot of members would miss out if it were at this new chat.

Rah rah rah.

I have a windows computer, using Internet Explorer.
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I'll bet that if it's still not working by Saturday, DD will just use the old chat room. I think she and Lee knew this might be a possibility, hence the overlap of on/off dates for the switchover.

Ok. More useless info that probably won't help Lee: On the Windows side, I'm on XP, my Java Plug-In Control panel says: JRE Standard 1.4.2_01; default Virtual machine: 1.4.2_01-b06; Plugin v.1.4.2_01. Checked the Mac, and I'm on 1.4.2 on that side, as well.

Comment

Chime tells me that it is not compatible with my browser (Safari), but a new version will be released soon.

Comment

Rysade--had the exact same problem. Opera's also incompatible. Installing and using Mozilla Firefox instead solved it.

Comment

Ahhh. I will do that. Mac compatible, I assume?

Comment

Firefox running on OS X worked OK for both of us yesterday, and it's working for me today (except that nobody's there).

Oh, Tui's there now. What a large chat .
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I got on fine yesterday and today, I'm running internet explorer....

This is odd.... no one knew I was on though because I never showed up on anyone's list and it never said when I came on...
                        ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                        Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                        HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                        My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

I appreciate all the browser info, everybody -- thanks. Infopop is still working on what's going on.

We *will* eventually be killing the old SigmaChat area, since it costs DD extra. But not before we get this one working for everybody possible.

So...stay tuned as we hammer this thing into shape.
                          Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Yeah, please don't delete it until everyone can. The next chat is on the 6th... Wait, isn't the 6th a Sunday? All the chats that I've been to were Saturdays, dunno if that was an accident or anything.

I'm going to try the new chat one more time, though I doubt it'll work. I can't get the new browser unless I ask my parents, and I don't think they'll say yes.
                            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Gryphon: It was the 5th, not the 6th, but now it's the 12th anyway, giving an extra week to fix everyone's problems. (Is that enough? Wait and see, I suppose.)

Can't you tell your parents you need the new browser because of the chat? Do they know one of your favourite writers (I hope) does these online chats?
                              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X