This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Workarounds" for the Eve interface

Here's a thread in which users can post their ways of working around the new interface and getting it to to behave like the old one.

I'm presently trying to find out from Infopop whether there's a "User's Guide to Changes". (There is one for administrators, but by and large it covers issues that would be of no interest or use to you folks.) I'll let you know what I find out.

Meanwhile, here's what Meteorite said to start this topic off:

"Anyway, my discovery was that the "list of recently updated topics" button is no longer the little globe icon; it is now the next icon in that line, the little notepad with the light bulb on it. Now if only someone could tell me how to turn on the other buttons again, I'd be even happier.:/"
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Thanks so much, Lee! I didn't want to have to bother you, but I have now verified one other thing: the "Reply" button on the top toolbar will let me post a reply. However, if I should ever need to update any personal info, looks like I will need to ask for Divine Intercession

On a somewhat-tangent, I thought, Lee, that you were scheduled to turn over admin duties to someone else. If not and you are sticking with us, yay!
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Personal Info? I've solved that one.

From this page, scroll up a bit until you can see the buttons. (Go, New, Find, Notify, Tools, ect.) Click the 'Go' button with a compass next to it. There's a drop down menu. Click 'My Space' and pick whatever from there.
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Thanks for the thought, Skitty, but my problem is that the menu buttons on top of the various forums don't provide drop down menus for me. I am presently trying to find ways to get to the various menus that don't involve the buttons, and some of the other things that seem to have gotten relocated. If you find out anything useful like that, please post it! Of course, your workarounds might not work on my browser, but any information could be helpful to someone with an interface problem, not just me.

Comment

Ah. That's... not good. Really not good. Lee, do you have a solution?

Maybe if you click "Young Wizards Getaway Page"... Will it take you anywhere if you click on My Space? I suppose not.
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Hey, can somebody tell me what's "Karma"?
            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

meteorite, the "New Since" link also appears if you click the page icon before "Young Wizard's Discussion Forum" (same line as the globe icon that you used to click). It's another pop-up, too, but maybe it'll appear?

db: according to Webster:
              "the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetrate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of a person's existence."

But in the context of the new eve board, I'm gathering it's similar to a postcount score, but which allows the admins to add/subtract points based on how you adhere/break the board rules. A lot of boards will use these kind of scores to give folks rankings. For example, on the Song of Ice and Fire board, the rankings are:

Unregistered -- Wildling
              Newly registered -- Commoner
              25 posts -- Freerider
              75 posts -- Sellsword
              150 posts -- Squire
              250 posts -- Hedge Knight
              375 posts -- Landed Knight
              525 posts -- Noble
              700 posts -- Council Member

However, the drawbacks of this kind of ranking scheme are that 1) some people get to be really snobby to the newbies with their "high" rank, and newbies can feel intimidated. And 2) folks start trying to push their post count by doing tons of little one-liners with no content, which wastes everybody's time and money.

[This message was edited by kli6 on 22 March 2004 at 13:22.]
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Ah, but we already went through that peroid. The one-liner one. Add we're over it, aren't we? *glares pointedly* We are orver it, aren't we, guys?

But yeah, I see what you mean. Fun though it would be... not always the best idea.
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Aha! I have also discovered that, if you click on your name in the "members presently online" list, it will take you to your Member Profile. From there you can click a link that will, presumably, allow you to edit your profile.

The main problem I have with the new interface is that there is no online tutorial that goes over all the changes. Unless someone has found one and would care to share it with the rest of us...*looks hopefully around*

Comment

Birdhead, given the history of this board, I think it's probably best that the temptation's been removed. If we'd had ranking, it probably would've been far worse.

Meteorite: Not so pretty, but a bit of digging on the Infopop site found their support forum, and version change announcements.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Thanks, kli, I went nosing about there. Supposedly Mozilla (my browser of choice) is supported by eve, but not all the bells and whistles work for me. If I want to report the problems I've been having, I have to sign up for their discussion group, not unlike Young Wizards. I don't feel like it.

Comment

Oh, come on. We're not that bad. There are much, mcuh worse boards.

No, I don't go there.. My brother does. >.<
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Oh, that's true. There are far worse places to be on the 'net.

It's just that my taste is so old-fashioned in 'net discussions. Speaking of which, now that we've got colors, I think I've got a simpler solution to spoiler text than rot13: using white as a text color. That way, to see the spoiler, you'll have to select it. E.g.,

[Spoiler Test: Had this been an actual spoiler, you'd have had to select the text to see it. This is only a test. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion]

Of course, this only works so long as Lee and DD decide to use white as the background color of the board.

Comment

Well, the potential advantatges of having a white background outweigh the drawbacks, (what would those be, exactly?) so I'd imagine that it will stay white, and the spoiler solution will stay a solution.

What exactly is rot13? It sounds unhealthy.

Hey, Tui, I see nothing wrong with this message board you linked. It actually doesn't seem to have any activity AT ALL. Seriously, they couldn't get into a battle for serious postage when the board is used so...

oh. Oh my god... 211 posts and not a one of them has any content at all!? It might as well be a chatroom!

Comment

Yeah, what is rot13???

It sounds like ROTK, which would be Return of the King, but this is more like Return of the 13. So, what is it?????????

ONLY 211 posts??????? Woah, taht's pretty sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X