X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help DD buy the Forum's one-time license

Folks,

vBulletin, the company that makes our Forum software, has recently changed its licensing requirements. Formerly a discussion forum could elect to pay a low yearly licensing fee rather than a higher price to buy the right to run the software permanently, with no further payments. This is how we've been running the Forums since migrating them to vBulletin from Groupee last year.

As of this autumn, however, vBulletin has announced they'll no longer sell yearly licenses: They're now requiring all vBulletin users to buy a permanent-use license. The YW Forums' license runs out on November 28th, after which -- unless we pay for a new permanent license -- we can no longer use vBulletin, and would have to shut down the Forums and migrate to some other system.

Since this system seems to be working pretty nicely, DD has asked me to offer Forum members an opportunity to help her out by chipping in toward the cost of the license. Since she already bears the expense of paying for the YoungWizards.com domain and its server bills, this doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

I'm attaching a ChipIn widget here, and also in the upper right-hand column of each page at YoungWizards.com, just under the "QuoteBook" item. If just 20 or 30 interested members will each drop $5 or $10 into the pot, we can pay the $195 Forum license fee ourselves in short order. This is a one-time expense: after this, YW.com will own the right to run the software permanently.

So please chip in! And thanks to all the contributors in advance.

ETA: Thanks to just seven of our Forum members, we've now amassed the necessary funds! (I know it says eight in the widget: but one of you contributed twice to bring us up to the necessary amount.) DD asks me to pass her thanks to all of you who contributed. The license has now been bought and paid for, thanks to you seven!

Nice work, folks! Thanks again.

Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; November 21, 2009, 03:23:18 PM.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Regarding the above: Details from vBulletin

We received this reminder email from them this morning, and I thought I'd post it as an FYI. Also,heartfelt thanks to those of you who've contributed so far: after only a couple of days, we're nearly halfway to the amount we need! If you haven't contributed yet, please consider helping DD out by throwing $5 or $10 into the pot, using the ChipIn widget on the message above or on any page at the YW main website.

You are receiving this email because one or more of your vBulletin licenses or services will expire in one week. Please read this email to learn about important changes to your vBulletin license terms. vBulletin software license pricing terms are changing to a one-time owned license fee - we will no longer require annual renewal fees.

If this is a service, a renewal is necessary to be able to continue using the service.

If this is an owned license, you can continue to run your current version without updating, but in order to receive discounted upgrade pricing, ticket support, software updates and maintenance and security releases, you need to purchase a license under the new terms.

If this is a leased license, you can not continue to run your current version without updating. You must purchase a license under the new terms in order to continue running the software or remove the software from your website. Additionally, in order to receive discounted upgrade pricing, ticket support, software updates and maintenance and security releases, you need to purchase a license under the new terms.

Please note that in order to qualify for the upgrade price, you must purchase a license before your current license expires. Login to: http://www.vbulletin.com/order/ now to upgrade your licenses.

*Take advantage of our special Pre-Sale offer * It will only last for a limited time and is a great deal for existing customers! To read more about this special offer and license changes, please visit our FAQ and website. You can also contact customer support with questions.

Your customer number is (redacted) . Here are the licenses we have on file for you:

(redacted license number) -- vBulletin 3.x Forum (Leased); expires: Nov 28th '09; set to: www.youngwizards.com/forums/

If you have any questions about the licensing procedure, please contact our licenses team by sending an email to licenses@vbulletin.com.

Regards, vBulletin Licenses Team http://www.vbulletin.com/
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
    X