Goodbye, YW.net!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye, YW.net!

Well, the forums and chat of YW.net seem to be down forever. (Finally, a good reason to use that smiley! )

Goodbye, Eve platform. I enjoyed interacting with fellow book-lovers through you. In my experiences, you were a very reliable, clean-running system (*whispers out of Eve's earshot* But the vBulletin system is better!).

Lots of memories from YW.net/eve/.... The interesting conversations in chat, the numerous book discussions (most important), and... I really grew in terms of how to behave on an Internet forum on the YW.net forums, thanks to all the criticism and nagging that occured back then that I now realize was for the better good!

DD chats were wonderful... the more I think about it, the privilege of speaking to the real author of one of my favorite book series!

I really look forward to many years of continued YW (and sometimes not) discussion here at the new forums and in any upcoming Chat facility!
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
    Well, the forums and chat of YW.net seem to be down forever. (Finally, a good reason to use that smiley! )
    Yup, they breathed their last the other night.

I feel sorry in a way that we had to part company with Groupee. But they were increasingly moving their business model more toward "enterprise" users -- i.e. corporate -- which is not a place we needed to be, especially in terms of the financial outlay involved. So it seemed a good time to make a friendly exit.

We're going to keep improving the present vBulletin installation as we come across new and interesting things to add to it. I wouldn't get too excited about the possibility of any further long-term or permanently open chat facilities, though, since (as previously discussed) they lay us open to legal complications we don't have the facilities or personnel to address. We'll use the present in-forum chat for conferences with DD on occasion, but otherwise we're going to encourage members who want to chat live to use independent IM clients or IRC to do that.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
    X