Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New user reward and rating system begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user reward and rating system begins!

We've installed a new system that will show how much users are contributing to the forums, in ways that are a lot more sophisticated than just counting their posts.

The vBExperience software helps the Forum system itself (and the mods) reward and acknowledge users for good posts, popular threads that other users are interested in reading, and many other criteria. The system puts up a pair of bars under each user's avatar showing their overall participation rating. Awards fall in four default categories: Community, Posting, Activity and Helpful.

You can acquire points that contribute to the ratings in many ways. They include:

General user functions: you're awarded points based on
    - The number of days since you registered
    - Visitor messages left on new members' profiles
    - Membership in Forum social groups
    - Album pictures uploaded
    - Number of friends
    - Completing your user profile

Threads and posts: you get points for
    - Created threads
    - Views of your threads by other members
    - Replies to your threads by other members
    - Votes/ratings of your threads
    - Adding appropriate tags to your own threads (and others')
    - Whether the mods have made your threads sticky
    - Posts in social group discussions
    - Posts you've added to other threads
    - Views of attachments you've posted

This system is extremely powerful and will take a little while for everyone to understand (including the mods). So bear with us while we learn how to manage it.

To view an extended version of your own stats -- with info as to what you need to do to get up to the next award level -- go to your user profile, look at the tabs under your username, and click on the one that says "vBExperience". (If you can't see it, click on the right-arrows at the end of the tab bar to reveal any tabs that may be hidden. You may have to click on the last tab to get the vBExperience selection to show in its dropdown.)

There's a link to the master vBExperience score list in the QuickLinks dropdown in the navigation bar at the top of each page, so you can see how all the other Forum members are doing. You can click on the icons at the top of the master VBExperience list to view the stats in various different ways. You can also see a breakdown of ways to earn points here.

As for what all those awards / points are good for? We have some surprises in store! But until the mods have decided how to handle the new goodies, we're going to keep the details under wraps. Watch the Forum News area for details.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; January 19, 2009, 01:58:56 PM.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

The images for the statistics around usernames don't appear in the Blueworld Fluid, vB Classic Blue, Smart Blue, Hot Blue, and Morbid skins, using Google Chrome.
    Last edited by EricG1793; January 19, 2009, 11:52:02 PM.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
      The images for the statistics around usernames don't appear in the Blueworld Fluid, vB Classic Blue, Smart Blue, Hot Blue, and Morbid skins, using Google Chrome.
      Noted that: thanks. Firefox is also having problems. I think possibly I need to upload some image files in some more directories than the default one.

ETA: fixed Blueworld, Morbid, Smartblue, vB Classic, Hotblue.
      Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; January 20, 2009, 11:42:34 AM.

Comment

*looks at the text for the award by his name*

*blushes*

Thanks, Lee. :-)
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Everything's fine in Blueworld Fluid now.... except for Garrett's award.

Thanks for mine, too. I makes me feel good that my efforts (whether intentional or not) are helpful in someone else's eyes.

Yes, having more Fixed skins would be wonderful!
          Last edited by EricG1793; January 20, 2009, 11:37:54 AM.
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
            Everything's fine in Blueworld Fluid now.... except for Garrett's award.

Thanks for mine, too. I makes me feel good that my efforts (whether intentional or not) are helpful in someone else's eyes.

Yes, having more Fixed skins would be wonderful!
            We'll work on that. ...As for your award, hey, you deserve it!

Meanwhile I have to get those image files copied here and there. Unfortunately there seems to be no agreement among style-builders as to what the default style/image directory should be... (sigh)

Comment

Working...
            X