Adding Potter, Twilight news feeds, more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Potter, Twilight news feeds, more

Our new vBulletin forum software allows us to import news stories via RSS feeds from outside sources like Google News. So for those of you who're interested, we'll now be importing news items and posting them in the forum areas that involve other fandoms.

The Potterverse section has already had some messages added which follow news about the publication of the new "Lexicon" book: we'll also be adding feeds about the "Half-Blood Prince" movie. The Twilight section will have something similar added featuring news about the "New Moon" movies and new books in the Twilight series.

Finally, in our new Science News area, the system will be posting science headlines from such sources as (surprise) Science News and EurekAlert; and the Current Events section will feature world news headlines that refresh every half hour.

All these items can be commented on / replied to like any other forum posting... so if something interests you, go on, post in that thread! (Messages without postings will be swept up and thrown out once every couple of weeks.)

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; January 15, 2009, 10:52:59 AM.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Lee, you just effectively b0rked "New Posts". :-) I have 7 pages waiting to be tended to.

I wonder if I can set the RSS feeds not to show up in the new post list...
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Oh, I noticed that! The newsbot is actually a bit annoying. I have 6 pages of all of the threads started. I'm with Garrett. Is there a way to block it from showing up in the "new posts", because now I'm having trouble finding everyone else's posts in all of the newsbot's posts.
      "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Uhh! i so agree with Zirsta and Garret you don't even have to block them just put them in a seprate area.
        It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
        That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

Also, since the newsbot is a member, technically, it's put at the top of the "top posters" list, which sorta ruins the statistics there too. Not that I'm whining because it's putting me in fourth, but it's a little weird. I there a way to just have it as a program built in that doesn't count it as a member?
          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

AHH! it put me in second i din't even notice! not that i'm whyning*smooths back hair* and wo! that other new member wican she types alot!
            It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.

Comment

Look who's talking, Mr. 81-post-at-the-one-month-mark-with-the-average-of-4-point-something-or-other-posts-per-day! You've been here less than a month, really. 3 weeks...

You could take a break sometime along here and give my fingers a rest...

Comment

not a chance girl imagine me as your own personal workout coach. the only difference is that i can't call you every day to remind you to diet. HA!

Comment

Personal workout coach my foot... more like personal drives-you-crazy-with-all-his-posts-that-happen-to-be-rather-hilarious...

Here we go again, getting off topic...

Comment

Yes we do seem to make a habit of that Miss know-so-much-but-deep-down-knows-that-she-likes-my-posts-but-tries-to-hide-it.

Comment

So I've been tweaking the RSS feeds and things should be behaving a little better now.

First of all, "Newsbot" is out of the stats. I had been working on that before you folks mentioned it, but I had the controls set incorrectly. They're set properly now.

All the feeds have been slowed down considerably so that they only update every 12 hours (except for the current-events feed, which updates every four hours) and the number of items they pull down has been decreased. This should calm down the large number of incoming messages.

I'll be keeping an eye on how people use the info when it's made available as messages (in terms of responding to them). If the responses aren't significant, we can change the news items so that they can be displayed as announcements, which won't impact the stats. (Another possibility: news items could be spun off into sub-sub forums which can be exempted from showing in stats.)
                      Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

That's great!

Can you/we/I do anything about them showing up in the "new posts" page? 'Cause I really don't want to keep having to scroll through all of the newsbot news to get to the members' posts.

Oh yeah, Septimus: *sticks tongue out at him*
                        Last edited by Zirsta; January 16, 2009, 02:07:16 PM.

Comment

Well i never!

How rude*turns back to zirsta and walks away.*

Hmph!

LOL

OH and thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you Lee now i'm in first again...*grumbles under breath* now if only we can get rid of Wican my lead is secure.
                          HAHA LOL jk

Comment

Hey, the fact that we have more room to spread out with the new forum system doesn't mean we should get off topic.
                            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Working...
                            X