This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving Chime connection problems

Turns out my own difficulty with getting the Chime window to load correctly was a firewalling problem.

I use Norton Internet Security 2003 for my firewall (so does DD: I've had a word with her about this), and when firewalling, NIS routinely blocks port 8080. Unfortunately, this is the port which Chime uses (as well as 8081).

Telling Norton to stop blocking port 8080 fixed the problem. Anybody else who's having trouble getting that window to load, take a look at whatever firewalling software you're using and tell it to stop blocking 8080: then you should be all right.

(sigh) This still does nothing about the browsers that Chime doesn't support. They promise that they're working on it, though.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

But how do you figure out what firewall I am using and fix it??? i don't know
    "We pray for our sorrows to end,
    and hope that our hearts will blend.
    Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
    And who knows:
    starting a new journey may not be so hard
    or maybe it has already begun.
    There are many worlds,
    but they

Comment

If you're just at home, it should be down in your system tray. I'm running McAfee, so that may be why I didn't have any problems.

Sorry I can't give a step by step fix.
      http://superdrea.net/

Comment

Ergh! I'm having the same problem as Lissa... I can't find the stupid firewall...
        *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

I went through my NortanAntiVirus settings, and I couldn't find anything about the ports, let alone 8080. Are we still going to do the chat in the Chime chatroom? Someone put up a poll about who could access it and who couldn't. The majority couldn't.
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Ok, I know this is tediously techwritery of me, but have you guys thought of going to the Norton Website, clicking on "Support", choosing the automated/free support for Norton Internet Security, and then running a search on "Port" in the Knowledge Base and getting something like this?

It's pretty standard to do that kind of thing with any piece of recalcitrant commercial software/hardware. The key is not knowing everything--it's knowing how to find it in the Manual. Worm. Hook. Go learn to fish.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I had a problem. I'm using Norton System Works 2004, which has Norton Internet Security 2004. I couldn't connect to the chime chat and this is what I did.

1. Open Internet Security.
              2. On the upper-middle part of the Internet Security window that will appear, click on the one labeled Options.
              3. Select Norton Internet Security.
              4. Click on the "Firewall" tab in Norton Internet Security Options.
              There are gonna be some things there but somewhere it says "HTTP port list". Below that is says
              "Computers connect to the Web via HTTP ports. There are the most sommonly used ports. If you need to filter a web site that uses a different port, click Add."
              Well, what you gotta do it select the port named 8080, and click Remove. You may have to scroll the window inside "Options" down to see the 8080.
              Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Working...
              X