Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing: CrossingsCon 2016

Great things are afoot on Tumblr...

Namely, that a group of us over there are breaking ground on the first ever (that we know of) Young Wizards convention. Right now the place to go for information is crossingscon.tumblr.com, which I run (I'm robotamputee over there, btw *waves*), and which I've been keeping up to date on the latest happenings.

The plan so far, for those interested:

It's going to be a mostly Young Wizards-centric convention, though we intend to feature some of DD's other works, as well as other lit/sci-fi/fantasy fandoms (interest permitting).

It's going to be held in or near New York City, NY (venue to be determined). There's plans for a YW-themed city tour as well, which would be optional and take place the day before/after the con.

It'll be in the summer of 2016, and while we don't have specific dates nailed down, we're currently thinking somewhere around the first week of July.

Badge prices are projected to be about $50, with accommodation/travel/food/etc being extra.

If any of you are interested in attending, and especially if you feel fairly certain you can make it out there, please let us know here, as we want to get an idea of the expected attendance earlier rather than later. In the next couple of days I'll be posting a second survey, asking about things like panels, the tour, activities, and any ideas you might have regarding the con.

If you have any questions, feel free to bug me here, on Tumblr, or via the CrossingsCon email, which is thecrossingscon@gmail.com. For now, any and all con updates will be posted both to the Tumblr blog and this thread. There are also Facebook and Twitter pages, where links to all updates will be posted as well.

That's all I've got for now! Hope you can make it out, cousins

This sounds like a VERY nice opportunity and a GREAT idea on your/others' part! Can't wait to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by EricG1793; March 5, 2015, 04:22:33 PM.
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

We Have A Venue!

Dai, cousins!

Just wanted to remind all you lovely forum denizens that we're still busily planning a Young Wizards convention, and to announce that we officially have a date and venue!

CrossingsCon will be held June 24th-26th, 2016 at the Courtyard Newark Downtown in Newark, NJ. There'll be convention activities such as panels, discussions, live-readings, cuddlepiles, spell diagram-making--y'know, the usual stuff--on the 24th and 25th. Then, on the 26th, we're taking the Con to New York City for an (as near as we can make it) exhaustive tour of the locales mentioned in the books, specifically SYW.

The place to go for updates on the con is still our tumblr, though we also have a twitter and a facebook page for all your social media needs. I'll still continue to update this post whenever anything important happens, such as when hotel rooms/badges become available, plus when our fundraising campaign kicks off this winter. That in particular is something we think even cousins not interested in the Con itself will want to check out--the perks we have lined up for the campaign are truly outstanding, and many are created by fellow fans of the series! More on that in the coming months.

Well, that's all we've got for now. We hope to see some of you in 2016, but until then, dai sti'ho!

Comment

Exciting news, that!
        Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

-The Book of the Dead
        --sabriel

Comment

CrossingsCon Fundraiser Needs YOUR Help!

Dai again, cousins! Remember that convention I told you about? Well, it's well underway, and I'm here to ask for some help getting it off the ground.

We've got ourselves an Indiegogo campaign and we're trying to raise $6000 by February 13th. This money will pay for venue fees, badges and programming, plus we have stretch goals that will allow us to invite special guests like reviewer/blogger Mark Oshiro and sci-fi author Seanan McGuire to speak at the Con (and maybe even the Author Herself!).

We've just passed the halfway point in our campaign, and we're almost halfway to our goal, so while we've been blown away by all the support so far, we've still got a ways to go to have the funds for everything listed above, and we could use all the help we can get!

To show our appreciation for every dollar we receive, we're offering a whole slew of perks at a variety of tiers set to fit every budget! There's pins and decals, specially crafted teas and homemade pumpkin bread, even handmade wizard's manuals to write all your favorite spells in! Head on over to our campaign page on Indiegogo to check out all those perks and more, and to snag some for yourself before they're gone!

Thank you in advance to everyone able to help out, and for those of you who can make it, we look forward to seeing you in 2016!

Comment

Great news! Crossingscon is officially all funded! Here's the official post:

CrossingsCon 2016 is a go!
            As you may have already heard, our Indiegogo campaign hit $6000 last nightthe convention is happening!

you can still do that.

This also means our challenge goal has been exceeded, after being announced less than a day prior. Good job, cousins! Information on when the reward (as well as the previous one from our last challenge) will go live will be posted in the next few days.

Last edited by 96bookworms; February 6, 2015, 05:38:54 PM. Reason: format
            All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Hello again! I just logged in again for the first time in years...but I'm so glad the forum and fandom are still somewhat active.

This sounds like a fantastic idea! How can I be a part of it or at least attend the convention? It would be amazing to meet other fans in person.

-Amy

Comment

Dai all, and Happy New Year! Tickets are on sale now for the convention, and you can book your hotel room here. If you're interested in roomsharing with a fellow cousin/s, feel free to make a post about it here or on Tumblr, if you're over there! You can also use or peruse the tag #the great crossingscon roommate hunt to find others who might be interested in bunking together.

Look out soon for more info on what we have planned for the Con itself! Hope to see you there!

Comment

Diane Duane is coming to CrossingsCon!(via the internet)

Dai again all! Hope you've been enjoying the year so far. We here on the CrossingsCon planning committee are excited to announce that DD will be one of our Guests of Honor at the Con! Since she isn't able to make it in corporeal form, she will be attending via video-chat, but that doesn't mean she won't be on panels, in discussions, and otherwise spreading the YW love over Friday and Saturday! We'll have more news soon about exactly how she'll be participating, as well as other info on just what kind of shenanigans we have planned for the weekend.

On another note, if you're interested in attending the Con you should know that our room block at the hotel has already sold out. We're currently looking into alternate accommodations for attendees in the area, and I'll post in the thread once we have news on that front. In the meantime, feel free to go grab your badge and check out what's been going on over on our blog! We've got lots of exciting stuff in the works for the Con and we can't wait to share it with everyone!

That's all for now, cousins. See you at the Crossings
                  Last edited by Elita Justice; April 22, 2016, 03:14:59 PM. Reason: Gaiman's first law

Comment

CrossingsCon Proves This Fandom Should Never Be Underestimated

With a little over a month left until the convention, we've decided to cap badge sales at 125 so we don't run out of room. This means there are less then 25 badges left! If anyone's been holding out on buying theirs, we suggest you don't wait too long, because the way they've been selling lately they might be gone soon! We also filled our room block at the venue hotel, but we have a secondary block at a nearby hotel open for reservations at the same rate. See this post for more info on that, and click here to get your badge! See you next month, cousins!

Comment

I would love to attend, but, unfortunately, have to work that weekend. *blergh*

I wish you all the best and I wonder if there will be recordings or live internet broadcasts of some of the events? Whereby one might attend at a distance...

Comment

Last Chance!

We're nearing our cap for the Convention, so if anyone was holding out on getting a badge we suggest you act fast before they're all gone!

And @SpacePen, though we don't have any official streaming/recording plans, there will probably be plenty of photos, videos, and testimonials going up during the weekend and following it

Comment

The First Ever YW Con is SOLD OUT

Just popping back in to say CrossingsCon 2016 is officially SOLD OUT. Hope to see some of you next month!!

Comment

I would just like to say congrats to all those who were able to acquire tickets for this event. I do hope everyone enjoys their time and brings back to these forums some good stories of their time at the event.

I was, unfortunately, unable to acquire any tickets myself due mainly to time constraints on the timing of the event, as well as funding to get there and back for myself. But that is alright. I will instead focus on wishing everyone to have a grand-old time, and to let us know here how things are going and / or what is going on.

Anyway, once again, thanks for putting this event together for everyone, and don't forget to have fun even when things start to get hectic.
                            Last edited by Gibby Gibson; May 16, 2016, 09:35:02 AM.
                            "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." ~G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I'll be going - can't wait to see those who can make it! And for those who can't, hope it works out for next time
                              All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Working...
                              X