No announcement yet.

Wizards and Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely love the idea of wizardry being like writing! I would have to say that it's true. When you write something, you never seem to get tired, but as soon as you let someone else read it, you feel completely exhausted, but satisfied. In the same way, during the reading of a spell, time seems to stand still. Once you're done and the spell works, it deducts energy from you, but since a spell always works, you are satisfied that an outcome has been achieved.

Comment

A good way to describe writing. That's what I feel, too.

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Curiosity mauled the cat and left it on the side of the road.
      I will rejoice in the moonlight;
      I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
      For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

But there are problems with saying "write whatever you like, only make sure it's the truth". Writing affects what you think the truth is, and so does reading.

"The purpose of argument is to change the nature of truth." -- Frank Herbert

The danger of the persuasive word is that it works on those who speak or write it just as well as those who hear or read it. It's important to remember that all writers are also liars, one way or another.

To be wise, learn foolishness. To be strong, learn weakness. To know joy, learn sorrow.
        Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
        Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

If you write a story you wouldn't be lying, you would be telling every one what you believe.

"Many that live deserve death,
          Many that die deserve life"
          - Lord of the Rings
          "A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"
          "How are you today, missus Darcy?"

"keep holding on" avril lavigne

Comment

But only for a given value of believe... I mean, I can, if I so choose, write a story or poem about finding religion as a deep and meanignful haven to me. If I did a poem, it might even be good. However, I am and will remain an atheist; so that's definitely not telling people what I believe.

On the other hand, it might be argued that, if the peom actually was good, I must have experienced at least some connection with religion in that fashion merely though riting the poem. And to that extent therefore I do or rather did believe...
            Uh. Now I'm so confused.
            T

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
            --Agent M
            Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

"All art is quite useless" -Wilde. (heh, just wanted to play the quote game)

I agree with the parralel. People who write have a need to satiate, something to say. Wizards are almost the same in that they also need to be proactive, to fight the Lone Power.

As well, there's a difference between a writer and an author. An author writes for the recognition etc of their works, while the writer just needs to write. And we all know what happens to a Wizard who abuses their magic. ^.~

On writing the truth... It can be interpreted a lot of different ways, I think. *ponders* To continue Birdhead's example, were (s)he to write a poem or story about finding (what I assume to be the catholic) Faith. If it were good, it wouldn't nessisarily have to be about finding/connecting to religion in any way, but (s)he would still probably have drawn upon past experiences. (For example, remembering feeling safe in a parents / SOs arms, having a pet that worshipped him/her, ect.)

Annnd, Rysade makes me laugh.

Random Jacq
                (n00000b!)

My Inner Hero - Rogue!
                It's a good thing I use my powers for good and not evil, because quite frankly, I could get away with murder. I'm clever, tricky, and charming. I know how to make you laugh with one hand and pick your pocket with the other. Not that I'd ever DO that, of course...

How about you? Click here to find your own inner hero.[/center]

Comment

I think that writing a story means that you have something in your head that you want to be true. It usually is not true, but people can belive what is not true and thayt means that they are not lying. It means that their putting what they belive.

"Many that live deserve death,
                  Many that die deserve life"
                  --Lord of the Rings
                  "A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"
                  "How are you today, missus Darcy?"

"keep holding on" avril lavigne

Comment

Originally posted by Jacq:
                    As well, there's a difference between a writer and an author. An author writes for the recognition etc of their works, while the writer just needs to write.
                    But one can be both.

Comment

I definitely see the connection between writing and magic. In fact, I think that writing is just magic in it's purest form. Using words to change peoples minds, transport them to a far away world, turn pictures in your head into words on the page, and vice versa, and bring magic to life. All thes things can be done sith nothing more than paper and a pencil or a computer, a good deal of time, a lot of hard work, a love for storytelling, and a little imagination. What could be more magical than that?
                      -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                      -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                      -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

Wow... You know, I thought I had joined this forum once before. Spooky.
                        </we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic... of which my opinions of six years ago still stand>
                        I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

Working...
                        X