Wizards and Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizards and Writers

There are some uncanny paralells in these two occupations. It makes me wonder if, in Diane's mind, they're exactly the same.

It seems that writing and wizardry have roots in the same ideas, because they keep coming together in things. Either the majority of writers who write about writing (and all writers write about writing) are crazy romantics who associate their job with magic, or there's actually something to this whole business of parallels between the two.

I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing lately and been getting some ideas that are very similar to what's going on in the Young Wizards series. In the last paragraph of the Toolbox section of On Writing, King says:

"At it's most basic we are only discussing a learned skill, but do we not agree that sometimes the most basic skill can create things far beyond our expectations? We are talking about tools and carpentry, about words and style . . . but as we move along, you'd do well to remember that we are also talking about magic."

That quote could very well could have come out of the prolouge to the Wizard's Manual. The paragraph might be describing Wizardry, but we know for a fact it's describing writing. Maybe the two are not so different.

Lessee, how about another one? To be a wizard you need to love words: "Wizards love words. Most of them read a great deal, and indeed one sign of a potential wizard is the inability to sleep without reading something first." - from So You Want to Be a Wizard

What does Stephen King have to say about being a writer? "If you want to be a writer, you must first do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."

Now here's where it gets really strange. King answers the question of what to write about: "Anything you *darn* well want. Anything at all . . . as long as you tell the truth.

There are some uncanny paralells in these two occupations. It makes me wonder if, in Diane's mind, they're exactly the same.

It seems that writing and wizardry have roots in the same ideas, because they keep coming together in things. Either the majority of writers who write about writing (and all writers write about writing) are crazy romantics who associate their job with magic, or there's actually something to this whole business of parallels between the two.

I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing lately and been getting some ideas that are very similar to what's going on in the Young Wizards series. In the last paragraph of the Toolbox section of On Writing, King says:

"At it's most basic we are only discussing a learned skill, but do we not agree that sometimes the most basic skill can create things far beyond our expectations? We are talking about tools and carpentry, about words and style . . . but as we move along, you'd do well to remember that we are also talking about magic."

That quote could very well could have come out of the prolouge to the Wizard's Manual. The paragraph might be describing Wizardry, but we know for a fact it's describing writing. Maybe the two are not so different.

Lessee, how about another one? To be a wizard you need to love words: "Wizards love words. Most of them read a great deal, and indeed one sign of a potential wizard is the inability to sleep without reading something first." - from So You Want to Be a Wizard

What does Stephen King have to say about being a writer? "If you want to be a writer, you must first do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."

Now here's where it gets really strange. King answers the question of what to write about: "Anything you *darn* well want. Anything at all . . . as long as you tell the truth.

Comment

As far as I can tell, all of King's books are fictional.

While it might be argued that fiction can express deeper truths about the nature of the human condition et cetera, isn't it really just an entertaining lie?

"The stories I am about to tell you are true, and by true, I mean false. They are all lies - but they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the real truth?

"The answer... is 'no'."

--Leonard Nimoy, _The_Simpsons_

Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
      -- The Book of Forgotten Things
      Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.
      -- The Vorlon Ambassador's Aide
      Logic is a poor servant, but an excellent master.
      Forget science fiction: other people are the ultimate aliens.

Comment

Comment

Or, in some cases: be sincere.

Comment

I am taking a writing class at The Thurber House in my city. It's called 'Wordplay' and basically what we're doing is writing excercises. On my teacher's list of rules for writing, one of them is "Tell your truth".
            This is kinda hard to explain but I think it means-if you're writing about something with some sort of moral or something, or the point of the book, and someone tells you it's wrong-then they're wrong. It's your writing. It's your truth.

*Ella*
            *Ella*
            "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
            There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
            And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
            What could mean more than this?"
            --Bright Eyes

Comment

Comment

I agree with that. Some of his characters are... *shivers* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. So bascially, when you get down to it, it's all about perspective. When you write, you're writing not only what you know, but what the character knows. Does that make any sense?

~Em~

"But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who trust their hearts a measure." Diane Duane, A_Wizard's_Dilemma.
                "But victory's certain. Never think otherwise. There is loss, and there is pain, and in your home frame of reference, they're real enough, not to be devalued. But today the energy's running out of things just a little more slowly...for those who tru

Comment

http://www.geocities.com/booknightmoon

Comment

Comment

My impression of the Speech has always been of something like a prose poem. It has structure beyond that and of a diffrent sort than a poem, even iambic pentameter or its cousins. However, it is far more lyrical, and as it is described, far more descriptive and overtly emotionally charged than prose. My impression of Duane is that she has the wizard seek to create a mood for the world, such that like the effect of any good poem, its outlook can be changed, and certain things be allowed to happen.

How many disassociated Bocce fanatics does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Comment

Yes, the Speech is a lot more than simply waving a wand and saying a couple of words, like in Harry Potter. The Speech is much more complex and eloquent. That's what I like about it.

"Food for thought requires a mind with teeth" ~Vollys the dragon from "The Two Princesses of Bamarre"

Comment

True, but I think of the Speech more as a way to channel power where you want it to go.

"Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

Are you replying to my post, Jen? Because your opinion of the Speech doesn't necessarily negate mine. The Speech is an elegant, lyrical way to channel power where you want it to go.

"Food for thought requires a mind with teeth" ~Vollys the dragon from "The Two Princesses of Bamarre"

Comment

Meow. Whatever you say. *yawns and curls up into a ball*

Comment

Working...
                              X