Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the Lone Power chose a serpent body to attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly since around the first Christian Roman Emperor, whose name has temporarily slipped my mind. (Constantine?) Anyway, before that I think it would have remained a minority, especially openly; since the Romans actively persecuted Christians (because they were evangelist. The Romans actually didn't have a problem with most gods; it's when the god tells you to go out and bash other people's gods that they got offended. "There is no other god but me?") it's unlikely that there would be great numbers of Christians. As Christianity became more open, then surely numbers would have increased; and then possibly again after the (Decline and) fall of the Roman Empire, possibly... but I'm not so sure about that.

Also, what was your third group? The polytheists? (Hindu I guess? and a bunch of others?) Do you think they're really that big in comparison to the third group? I wonder...

And while the impact of Christianity, as other myths, upon literature is huge (as it should be... it is after all one of the world's most popular mythologies) I'm not sure that it's so great on philosophy, though hat's really interesting. While a lot of philosophy is related to religion (as that's where most people find their philosophy) I think that much of it isn't... though now i come to think of it, that's really very interesting.

T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
    Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

*considers for a bit* Well, there's an element of truth in what you say. however, surely our philosophical thought, no matter what it is, is profoundly influenced by our upbringing. And given that, it makes far more sense for (for example) Nietzsche's (Who I must say I know absolutely nothing about; and so my opinions on his work, whatever it is, are rather sketchy) work to reflect his Western upbringing to at least some extent. Also, while the main body of a westerner's philosophical thoughtmay be very closely related, even indistinguishable from, his or her faith or the faith in which he or she is immersed, many, even most philosophers will read the philosophy of the east. But because of their upbringing, perhaps, they disagree with it... which I think is fine. If you can find your truth in Western philosophy, good; if you find it in eastern though, also good.

Ka Kite
        Tui

Tuibird in Aotearoa
        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
        Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Comment

Well, one could argue that this is the way the human brain handles anything, not just religion. One absorbs the ideas and opinions and impressions around one as one grows, and then uses those as a basis from which to view new ones. To view a new idea without any preconceptions at all would require a sort of mindwipe--a loss of culture and education and influence up to that point. The very language that a parent murmurs to an infant will begin to mold the child's mind and eventually opinions. Not a good thing or a bad one, just the way things work in this little slice of the multiverse.

-- Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.--

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X