Manual sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual sizes

In SYWTBAW, Carl states that Nita and Kit's manuals -quote- "won't get any bigger, but there'll be more inside them as you need to learn more" . However, in the other books in the series, Carl and Tom's manuals are the size of phone books. Nita and Kit's manuals expand also.Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

In SYWTBAW, Carl states that Nita and Kit's manuals -quote- "won't get any bigger, but there'll be more inside them as you need to learn more" . However, in the other books in the series, Carl and Tom's manuals are the size of phone books. Nita and Kit's manuals expand also.Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Comment

Uh... What page is that on?

Live your life as if there's no tomorrow, for all you know there might not be.
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

The rules changed.

-- Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.--

Comment

Just my guess: maybe the manuals get more 'advanced' as time goes on. That is to say that in Tom & Carl's time, the manuals looked every bit as big as they really were. By the time Nita came around, the manuals were advanced enoegh to be small and info packed - like a computer as opposed to a laptop. And Dairine has the newist version!

Jen26
          "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

I think it's a slight inconsistency. It does make sense, though, in an odd way -- personally I suspect that it's largely need-based. Nita and Kit have manuals that self-adjust, have larger or smaller sections depending on what they need to read about -- and the Book of Night With Moon behaved rather similarly, I think. But while sections expand and their manuals might alter in size a *bit*, I think they remain pretty much easily portable -- so overall, they don't really get all that much bigger, because Nita and Kit have to carry them around.

Tom and Carl, on the other hand, may find it useful to have their copies in several clearly indexed volumes so that they can look things up without having to make specific requests and wait for the manual to adjust itself. Or they might, possibly, have something in their stacks of books besides the actual manual -- the Lone Power had some interesting books, or some interesting material that manifested as books, in his "office" in SYWTBAW, after all. (Of course, he also had the nerve to complain to "Mike" about his universe's entropic rating. *snerk*)

Comment

I never really thought about that before. I think that at the beginning, Kit and Nita only needed to know a small amount, so if they needed to know a tad bit more the info would appear but you could not see a significant difference in the thickness if the manual.

Comment

If you think about it they were so new, they probablly didn't even notice it, and as they got more in depth "jobs" then they started noticing the size. If you remember correctlly, the only time they do not notice a difference is during their ordeal, so they were probablly just so new to wizardry that they didn't even see it.

none
                Have you ever wondered whats out there? have you ever looked? Will you ever imagine what actually is? Who knows if you do you might be the first to realize what actually is out there.

Comment

The books mention several times that tom and carl have to the supreme wizard versions, or something like that...

~Rad
                  O'Reiley:If the good Lord...
                  Fawlty:Is mentioned once more I will bring you closer to him!
                  -Fawlty Towers, The Builders (not exact quote)

"You were meant to live large
                  C'mon take charge
                  Let's go light the world up
                  Let's not wait until the end
                  To be the things we wished we'd been
                  You were meant to live life
                  C'mon let's fly
                  You're a Super Trouper spotlight
                  We're going to jump on the count of three
                  Here it comes now
                  1 2 3 Jump!"
                  -Superchic[k], Super Trouper

*Dai'Stiho*
                  ~Rachel

Comment

Jen26, you posted exactly what I was going to.
                    Meaning that by Nita and Kit, and Carl and Tom, the manuals stayed the size they were originally (like a regular hardcover,and like a phone book).

>>Originally posted by jen26:
                    Just my guess: maybe the manuals get more 'advanced' as time goes on. That is to say that in Tom & Carl's time, the manuals looked every bit as big as they really were. By the time Nita came around, the manuals were advanced enoegh to be small and info packed - like a computer as opposed to a laptop. And Dairine has the newist version!

Jen26[/QUOTE]

Comment

Thank you, that was just the world's greatest compliment. It is actually my first time being quoted favorably. *blushes*

Comment

PK: It could also be that Carl & Tom keep their manuals big purposly to show off the info they have in there. It would be wierd if their manuals looked like Nita's, don't you think?

Comment

Yeah, it would be expected that their manuals are not as small; also, maybe there are limits to how much wizardly hiding of the sizes there could be. And what is the point of wasting energy to minimize the Seniors' manuals - as I said - it's expected that theirs is larger.
                          And I am very glad to quote you favorably!

Comment

Hmm... my guess would be that Toma dn Carl NEED so much in their manuals all the time. Ordinary manuals have as much as you're going to need at any one time: they just might need a greater range of info. Also, whatever they need, they have it in much more detail, right- all those "very abstruse analyses" in "very small print"! *shrugs* Apart from that... maybe it really is more impressive.
                            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

It's probably got to be at least partly psychological and/or keyed to their needs -- there is the line (somewhere... in one of the Feline Wizard novels, I think) about how the Book of Night with Moon, of which all the wizards' manuals (when they take physical form as a book, at least) are excerpts, and how in book form it can be as small as a paperback novel or as big as a stack of telephone books. Or bigger, I'd guess.

*is still far too entertained by the Lone Power's instruction manuals on how to build and maintain universes*

Comment

Working...
                              X