Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young wizards / new wizards: power level changes post-Ordeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young wizards / new wizards: power level changes post-Ordeal?

Maybe it's just because I haven't had enough sleep... but I'm reading BoNWM again and Rhiow says the youngest wizards have the most power.... one of the Young Wizard books says this too, I'm not sure which... I think maybe High Wizardry? But in A Wizard's Delimma (oh I canNoT read that book without crying! ) Nita tells Dairine that every wizard goes through a nosedive period after their Ordeal (not directly after, I mean "after" in the sense of months).... and I don't get it. If young wizards are most powerful shouldn't the nosedive come like, - years - later?? Again I'm very sleepy right now, if this is a stupid question it's not my fault it's my alarm clock's...

-Rrraua

Iin Life's name, and for Life's sake, I assert that I will employ my Art, looking always to the heart of Time, where all our myriad worlds lie whole...
    Iin Life's name, and for Life's sake, I assert that I will employ my Art, looking always to the heart of Time, where all our myriad worlds lie whole...

Maybe it's just because I haven't had enough sleep... but I'm reading BoNWM again and Rhiow says the youngest wizards have the most power.... one of the Young Wizard books says this too, I'm not sure which... I think maybe High Wizardry? But in A Wizard's Delimma (oh I canNoT read that book without crying! ) Nita tells Dairine that every wizard goes through a nosedive period after their Ordeal (not directly after, I mean "after" in the sense of months).... and I don't get it. If young wizards are most powerful shouldn't the nosedive come like, - years - later?? Again I'm very sleepy right now, if this is a stupid question it's not my fault it's my alarm clock's...

-Rrraua

Comment

Nita tells Dairine that every wizard goes through a nosedive period after their Ordeal (not directly after, I mean "after" in the sense of months).... and I don't get it. If young wizards are most powerful shouldn't the nosedive come like, - years - later??
      Not necessarily -- there's no reason the reduction has to continue at the same rate. There could be a plunge and then a gradual decline.

Of course, there seem to be a number of tradeoffs -- the early not-knowing-what's-impossible vs. later knowing more details of how to accomplish things, a decrease in personal energy vs. a possible increase in authority ("being given so much power to work with" and the Galactic Arm Coordinator's power rating).

Comment

pg. 115 TWD
        Dair, it happens to all of us. You get a little older... you lose your inital edge and your first blast of power, and start feeling your way to where your specitalty's going to be.
        I felt like quoting for you what Neets said to Dari.
        But after wards she said
        Dari, you started at a higher-than-usual power level so you're having a bigger-than-usual crash.
        So that could have ment thatshe also crashed sooner and faster. But that is just what it made me think of.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
        "Wizards do not tell white lies to make each other feel better." ~A Wizard Abroad
        ~Sam (Hifun55)~
        Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
        HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
        My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

Aaah... you're probably right... I just couldn't figure out how the "power" got spanned out during a time frame.

Also Nita mentions how she had a power nosedive too... I must have totally missed that, because I don't remember any power nosedive. Wasn't it in A Wizard Abroad? I remember that book emphasises making good choices about saving your power... like the plane and walking to Dublin....

Comment

ithink it was probably not featured in a book, seeing as it was obviously not a major plot element

Comment

Aha! *points at Hallie* See, THAT bugs me. It's inconsistent! *crouches down in shame* I've often wondered if Diane Duane just invented that in A Wizard's Delimma and so it *couldn't* have been in any of the other books. Which is definitely confusing. You know, J.K. Rowling does that all the time. She invents something in a book that's only loosely tied in to what she says it is. I really hope this is not the case with Diane Duane because aside from this little glitch I hold her in really high esteem. Like even though these are young teen books she's not afraid to mention sexuality issues. That is a really high-class mak in an author, when they don't water things down in real-life based stories.

The only exception to this rule is Tom and Carl, but see my opinion on that somewhere else

-Rrraua

Comment

hollo! what i meant is that for nita, maybe nothing major happened, so there was no point in putting it in a book, but with dari, her mom... ne way, what do you have against hp neway

Comment

I think Nita had a power crash between the 2nd and 3rd books. But like Hallie said Nita's wasn't as big and she wasn't doing a big wizardry at the time so it wasn't AS important, but it was of course important.

If you can't figure out why they have more power when they are young Worldgating Team Member (can I just call you WTM? I'm kinda lazy ) anyways what helps for me is looking at it two main ways.

The first is look at in a way you can understand. Like a snake for instance, the babies have more, stronger, and faster working vennom.

And the second way is look at it in a logical way, even if you doubt it is right, and try to make it fit with something said in the book. Like I look at it like when you are younger you have more energy and power becuase you haven't had time to use much of it. Nita said that that was one of the major power losses latter on in the same conversation that I quoted earlier. (I can qoute that to if you want) So by possibly by your teens or pre-teens you have had time to use some of your power, and so it goes on.

Is this helping any? Cause I could rant on and on with the many ways I use to decypher books until it helps.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                  "Wizards do not tell white lies to make each other
                  feel better." ~A Wizard Abroad

PS- Pleaz answer my questions.

[This message was edited by Sam on 18 October 2003 at 15:41.]
                  ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                  Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??

Comment

Sam: I'm pretty sure I get it now... your snake analysis matched a warning I was given by my dad when I was little. He brought home a rattlesnake to demo for me. A rattlesnake. I am not even kidding.

Hallie: I don't have anything against Harry Potter... I've liked it since about the fifth grade ( I feel old!). It's just I started reading the Lord of the Rings a couple of years ago, and finished it right before the movies came out. I chanced to see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and the Fellowship of the Ring in quick succession and the quality between the movies... between the stories, even... appalled me. I was sure that LOTR would pull in millions more, but Harry managed to cheat it out of its due... so while I am a Potter fan, I am more of a LOTR fan, and my grudge is born of jealousy.

Also I detest the HP movies... they are disgusting next to the books. Warner Bros must have drugged Rowling to get her to agree to their monstrosities. Firstly, they left out Peeves, cut out the Norbert sequence, mentioned the Headless Hunt in the Sorcerer's Stone (!!!) and picked someone who stands around with his mouth open all the time for Harry. Now they're TAKING OLIVER WOOD OUT OF THE THIRD MOVIE, picked a fat person for Peter Pettigrew, and are making the Goblet of Fire (which needs five hours of film to do it full justice) into a TWO AND A HALF HOUR MOVIE!!!!!

I'm going to blow them up, I really am.

-Rrraua

Comment

Good

You are sooooooooo right, I re-read all the Harry Potter books and then watched the first 2 movies this summer and while watching them, and even after reading 3 more HP books again and All-American Girl, every two minutes I felt like cussing at the Tv (but I didn't because I don't cuss, don't ask unless you want to hear a LONG christian sermon) because they left out important parts. They use the small filler parts but drop the main parts if they can. I mean think about how much they cut the first 2 t\now thik of how much they will have to cut the latest 2.

Are you freaking serious? Two and a half hours? *gaps, is lost for words*
                      I don't really mind the fat PP because they said he was short and I just imagined him kinda fat because of how much Ron used to feed him. I mean he was supposed to be a fat rat, right?

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                      "Wizards do not tell white lies to make each other feel better." ~A Wizard Abroad
                      ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

You can sign a petition to fight against the Goblet of Fire thing at www.savegof.com

Comment

how can they make Goblet of Fire into a 2 1/2 hour movie???? I thought they were making it into 2 movies!!!! Oh, and WTM, you forgot something else they left out of the movies: in Sorcerers Stone they left out Snape's thing to guard the stone. And I think they left out Quirrel's, too. And not only is Daniel Radcliffe kind of a bad actor (sorry all you Dan lovers out there, including my best friend) but Emma Watson is too. Am I wrong for not liking her?? (I know Tui agrees )

~*KsSk8er*~
                          Hogwarts Dropout
                          "Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
                          - Carl Gustav Jung.
                          Dai Stiho
                          ~*KsSk8er*~
                          "She leaped off the table and tore into the living room. There was a brief sound of scrabbling, and then from the living room, Kit said, "Uh, Annie, your cat just went up the chimney..."
                          Dai Stiho:grin&bounce:

Comment

Sam: I'm reading All American Girl right now. Its really funny. Only I was borrowing the book from my friend but she took it back over the weekend and I reread all of the YW books again recently so now I have nothing to read!! Which is why I am sitting here on the computer ranting to the world when I'm really supposed to be finishing cleaning my room. Sorry. *KSk8er stares guiltily at her hands*

~*KsSk8er*~
                            Hogwarts Dropout
                            "Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
                            - Carl Gustav Jung.
                            Dai Stiho
                            ~*KsSk8er*~
                            "She leaped off the table and tore into the living room. There was a brief sound of scrabbling, and then from the living room, Kit said, "Uh, Annie, your cat just went up the chimney..."
                            Dai Stiho:grin&bounce:

Comment

Sk8er, read "The Wish List" I haven't finished it yet but so far it's really good, if you have $$ and haven't read Wizards Holiday yet, it's by Eoin Colfer.

WHAT!?!?! They're only making it 2 and a half hours!?!?!?! That makes you wonder, how long will the fifth one be!? They made LOTR longer than 2 and a half hours, why can't Harry Potter, one of the most famous books ever (Not that that's the way I like it, I'd much prefer the YW books being more popular) be long too???!!!

Ha Ha Ha!! Oh and I love your sig Sk8er!!! the part that says: "Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you"

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
                              "To youth and freedom!" A popular pirates toast.
                              *Agent~M*
                              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                              "I could live

Comment

Working...
                              X