On Co-Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Co-Location

In A Wizard Alone, it seems that one method of being in two places at once is co-location. I wasn't aware that it wasn't a new word DD made up. Or maybe it is. Anyway, I saw this and headed right over here to post it.

Now I'm wondering where the word/phrase co-location came from. Is is in regular circulation? I've never heard it before, outside of the book and just now, with this ad.

Darn. It's one of those circulating ones. It's changed already.

Anyway. It was an ad for webhosting, or something. Seems that there's even a 'co-location.com.' Just Google

Hehe, and I'm only used to the computer meaning, which is what I kept thinking of as I just read the book.

Co-location is a service where you buy a server computer which is physically located in the datacenter of a company that leases you internet bandwidth, electricity, etc., so that you don't have to worry about maintaining the internet connection, uninterruptible power supplies, and so on.

So a co-location center might be a big noisy room filled with lots of servers perhaps like the one that runs this website, for people who want to own and control only the software side of their server.

obBookComment: So theoretically, our co-locating character in question could charge rent to Whoever was in his space, if you get my drift :-) And uninterruptible power supply, indeed!

Ardub
    r:w)
    Ardub
    r:w)

Comment

*snicker* It's an ad for a poetry contest at the moment, and the first thing that came to mind was "that should be 'twenty lines or fewer', not 'twenty lines or less'."

I thought one rented server space when co-locating, rather than outright purchase, but I only read about this stuff, I don't do it. The idea of charging rent for someone else's inhabitation is intriguing, however. What would the currency be?

Comment

Imagine presenting the Lone Power with a lease agreement. Of course Darryl would have to acknowledge Its existence for that, which might be awkward due to having apparently arranged his personality so that the one of him staying in the world he made isn't so inclined, but then the Lone Power is kind of pushy.

Understatement there, I realize.

(And yeah, Darryl IS an uninterruptible power supply. *grins* Excellent point.)

Comment

si uh senor?senora? neway, you are right, it's poetry again also

Comment

Working...
          X